What do you all think about Monk?

Way 'nuff

Reaction score
Whats up everyone? Congrats on Aikman and Wright. I'm watching Aikman's speech right now, he is definitely a class act.

I'm a Commanders fan, occasionally I post on here since I like this site, it's a good community.

Let me first start off by saying that I do think Michael Irvin should have be a Hall of Famer. He was one of the most dynamic receivers ever, an absolute weapon.

I've come to ask you about Art Monk, though. What do you all think? Obviously as a Commanders fan you all know how I feel.

If you're gonna be a jack***, don't reply, seriously. I'm hoping this will be an intelligent discussion and people can put their biases behind, seeing as I have already.

TDHND

Reaction score
Personally I think he deserves it. He should already be there not still waiting.

Ashwynn

Reaction score
Till Drew is in, No monk. Drew was a better receiver then Monk, imo anyways.

conner01

Reaction score
there is no excuse for monk not being in the h.o.f.
the voters are letting their personal feelings affect there vote. he should be in

SkinsFan26

Reaction score
Art Monk should have been inducted long ago! No question.

3 Super Bowl rings

Retired from the league 1st all time in receptions.

5th all time in receptions
9th all time in yards
29th in yards from scrimmage

What is the debate? Seriously, what are the voters smoking?!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Art Monk has deserved to be in for a long time. Class act. No off the field character issues like Irvin. Steady and professional.

They are not similar however.

The only WR capable of 1st ballot is Rice I guess. I say that not knowing for sure if a WR has ever gone in on his 1st ballot.

X-Dawg

Benched
Reaction score
Monk was a Very good / borderline Great WR - but was a compiler = Dew Pearson was better ...

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
I agree Art Monk deserves to be in the HOF......a great player but no more than Michael Irvin as well..

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Monk deserves to be in. He held records as the top reciever when he retired.

Way 'nuff

Reaction score
While I don't totally agree about the compiler issue, I see where you're coming from.

Monk being excluded comes down to one mans bias, Peter King. The same ******* who says Bettis should be in because he's been very good for very long and uses the same argument against Monk.

Thanks for being honest, guys. Doesn't totally take away the sting I feel every year, but it helps that real fans know whats up. It shouldn't be left up to these dumb*** writers.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
I think Monk deserves in, but if I was picking one receiver to build a Super Bowl team with, I'd pick Irvin, not Monk.

jlust22

Reaction score
I think Monk deserves to get in and ultimately will, but it make take him a while. If you look at WR's in the Hall of Fame, not many get in right off the bat. In fact, for most it takes at least 5 tries to get in. There are 17 modern day WR's in the Hall, but only 5 made it on the 1st or 2nd ballot. I think Irvin will get in and hopefully soon, but it's not too surprising that he hasn't made it yet.

1st ballot
Lance Alworth
Raymond Berry
Steve Largent
Paul Warfield

2nd ballot
Charley Taylor

5th ballot
Fred Biletnikoff
Charlie Joiner
James Lofton

6th ballot
Crazy Legs Hirsch

9th ballot
Tom Fears
Don Maynard

10th ballot
Pete Pihos
John Stallworth
Bobby Mitchell

14th ballot
Lynn Swann

15th ballot
Dante Lavelli
Tommy McDonald

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Way 'nuff said:
Whats up everyone? Congrats on Aikman and Wright. I'm watching Aikman's speech right now, he is definitely a class act.

I'm a Commanders fan, occasionally I post on here since I like this site, it's a good community.

Let me first start off by saying that I do think Michael Irvin should have be a Hall of Famer. He was one of the most dynamic receivers ever, an absolute weapon.

I've come to ask you about Art Monk, though. What do you all think? Obviously as a Commanders fan you all know how I feel.

If you're gonna be a jack***, don't reply, seriously. I'm hoping this will be an intelligent discussion and people can put their biases behind, seeing as I have already.

Monk in my opinion should definitely have been in over Moon. I predict Monk makes it soon.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
I agree about Monk being snubbed... He was not as great as say Jerry Rice, but a very good, very reliable receiver... Like Jarv said he has super statistics. He's HOF material IMO.

Furthermore, I don't think Peter King should be doing any HOF voting... he's tried to give reasoning as to why Bob Hayes is not worthy of HOF voting... Pure B*******!!! Hey Peter!!? Ever heard of the zone defense??? Where did that come from? BULLET Bob Hayes!!

Ring Leader

Reaction score
I have no problem with Monk getting in......but only AFTER the induction of Drew Pearson, Michael Irvin, and Bob Hayes.

I have a feeling that Irvin and Darrell Green are going to get inducted together in a few years. Maybe Green can finally find a way to cover Irvin on the stage because he sure couldn't on the field.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Monk should have already been in the HOF ...Period.

Way 'nuff

Reaction score
aardvark said:
I agree about Monk being snubbed... He was not as great as say Jerry Rice, but a very good, very reliable receiver... Like Jarv said he has super statistics. He's HOF material IMO.

Furthermore, I don't think Peter King should be doing any HOF voting... he's tried to give reasoning as to why Bob Hayes is not worthy of HOF voting... Pure BU__$|-|IT!!! Hey Peter!!? Ever heard of the zone defense??? Where did that come from? BULLET Bob Hayes!!

King biased against Bob Hayes? Haven't heard that, but I'm not suprised.

One of Kings main arguments against Monk is that he was in the locker room of the Giants of the mid to late 80's and says that they didn't fear Monk like they did Gary Clark. Whatever.

The biggest joke about the HOF WR is Swann and Stallworth. If those guys are in, theres no reason why Monk, Irvin, Hayes AND Clark shouldn't be in. Swann and Stallworth's numbers are paltry. Only reason they're in is because they have memorable highlight reels in superbowls.