What do you all think about Monk?

Kilyin

Reaction score
Pains me to say it, but I'm old enough to actually remember Art Monk on the field. He should definitely be in the HOF.

BadKarma

Reaction score
Lynn Swan and John Stallworth but no Monk? Come on...there is no way he should not be in.

Monk was one player I hated to see on the field against the Cowboys - you knew the ball was going his way when they needed to make a play...very reminecent of Irvin.

BadKarma

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Until Drew Pearson gets in, Art Monk shouldnt get in, and thats all there is too it.
I agree. Conversely, until Bob Hayes gets in, Drew Pearson shouldn't get in. An really, that's about all there is to that too.:D

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
BadKarma said:
I agree. Conversely, until Bob Hayes gets in, Drew Pearson shouldn't get in. An really, that's about all there is to that too.:D

Drew Pearson was a much better player than Bob Hayes

burmafrd

Reaction score
Bob Hayes caused the invention of the ZONE DEFENSE. HE CHANGED THE GAME. THAT ALONE should put him in. No WR scared D's more from 1965-1973. What more criteria do you want?

BadKarma

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Drew Pearson was a much better player than Bob Hayes

Statistically - no. However, the argument would be that Bob Hayes should have been recognized for his achievement much earlier. I don't discount Drew Pearson's accomplishment - he was my favorite Cowboys receiver.

But Bob Hayes brought a new dimension to the WR position during his era. No one back in his days could keep up with him. The dynamics of pass defenses were adjusted because of his speed.

Obviously, we cannot base statistics from one generation of players to another. All three receivers - Hayes, Pearson and Monk are well deserving for the HOF...in that order.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ring Leader said:
I have no problem with Monk getting in......but only AFTER the induction of Drew Pearson, Michael Irvin, and Bob Hayes.

I have a feeling that Irvin and Darrell Green are going to get inducted together in a few years. Maybe Green can finally find a way to cover Irvin on the stage because he sure couldn't on the field.
absolutely............... :hammer:

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
jlust22 said:
15th ballot
Dante Lavelli
Tommy McDonald

I met Tommy McDonald a few years ago at some Old Timer NFL event in Atlantic City and he was the nicest guy around. Before we posed for a picture he said "Wait! Put this on first!" He handed me his HOF ring and I got a great pic with me wearing the ring while standing next to him. He was known for being a fiery player and he still had that energy going. One of the good guys definitely.

Wheat

Philosopher
Reaction score
as long as guys like Peter King and Dr. Z have votes.....and they base those votes on the players they got close to, and the players who didn't talk to the media.

Then the HOF is busted.

Current members should vote. Many of them played against the ones they are voting for or against.

jumanji

Reaction score
monk should be in...no question. the one that shouldn't be in is swann

Tricky-22

Git R Done
Reaction score
Monk should be in the hall. I hated him when he played. But that is just a testiment to how affective he was.

I think that the HOF voting should be taken away from the writers and be put to the players and coaches who were the piers of those who are nominated.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Very funny show but it's not the same without Sharona

Huh? Oh you mean Art Monk,

Great player who should already be in no doubt.

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
Monk should be in...but not before "Bullet", Drew Pearson, and Irvin.

I say this not just because I'm a Cowboys fan, but because that would be the right thing to do.

Bob Hayes revolutionized the downfield passing game. His presence on the field made the defenses go zone for the first time!

I watched Monk play against the 'boys every year he played, and he was amazing. I hated the guy, but respected him very much.

***k Peter King!

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Way 'nuff said:
Whats up everyone? Congrats on Aikman and Wright. I'm watching Aikman's speech right now, he is definitely a class act.

I'm a Commanders fan, occasionally I post on here since I like this site, it's a good community.

Let me first start off by saying that I do think Michael Irvin should have be a Hall of Famer. He was one of the most dynamic receivers ever, an absolute weapon.

I've come to ask you about Art Monk, though. What do you all think? Obviously as a Commanders fan you all know how I feel.

If you're gonna be a jack***, don't reply, seriously. I'm hoping this will be an intelligent discussion and people can put their biases behind, seeing as I have already.

shoulda been in already - great WR.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's pathetic that Art Monk is not in the HOF - absolutely pathetic. Just look at the numbers.

Bizwah

Reaction score
I hate the Commanders.....even when we "owned" you guys. I couldn't stand any Commanders player....Joe T and John Riggins were the ones I hated the most.

But there were two Commanders that I didn't hate (and this is a big compliment coming from me). I didn't hate Darrel Green or Art Monk.

I think Monk deserves to be in the Hall. He retired as the NFL's All-Time leading WR....he's the first WR to record over 100 receptions in a season. Come on....

Of course, by not keeping the former NFL's All-time leading WR, the HOF committee has a built in excuse for keeping out the NFL's All-time leading rusher.

I'm sure they'd love to keep Emmitt out.

Way 'nuff

Reaction score
Good stuff everyone :cheers:

glad to see that hatred of peter king stems into cowboy nation, too.