CZ POLL What do you want the Cowboys to do with their first round pick?

What do you want the Cowboys to do with their first round pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I don’t believe in trading down unless I just won the super bowl.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Trading down can be a good thing, but usually only when:
  • The most talented impact players are deep into at least the top 50.
  • You have confidence in your front office and their scouting.
I have confidence in Will McClay. But he doesn’t make the decisions or the picks. Because of that, trading down for the Cowboys is going to be a risk because you have a guy playing football big shot who’s a business genius but a football moron.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Stay put at ten, I'd select in this order if Available, Sewell, Slater, Surtain, Pitts, Horn jr,.....and after that with the draft picks Dallas have available and with the offense pretty much set, I'd like to see the Cowboys be a little more aggressive and go after the player they covet that's in range to trade up to get
Thats a tight list, with Pitts, Slater Surtain being my order, but its so close that it doesnt matter, and thats sometimes when you have better options maybe if the phone is ringing.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Trading down can be a good thing, but usually only when:
  • The most talented impact players are deep into at least the top 50.
  • You have confidence in your front office and their scouting.
I have confidence in Will McClay. But he doesn’t make the decisions or the picks. Because of that, trading down for the Cowboys is going to be a risk because you have a guy playing football big shot who’s a business genius but a football moron.
This is the draft that you totally invest in your scouting dept, esp this team.
Watch how many teams make big mistakes in this draft due to lack of strength of scouting due to various pandemic reasons.
There will be some nice players picked late in this draft.
If Jerry and Stephen are smart, they let McClays board and opinion dictate.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Stay put and pick the Highest Defensive player on the board. Who cares if you pick him 5 spots too early. Dallas needs defensive talent on every level.

The draft value lost between 10 and 15 is 250, equivalent to pick 68 at the top of the 3rd round.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
This is the draft that you totally invest in your scouting dept, esp this team.
Watch how many teams make big mistakes in this draft due to lack of strength of scouting due to various pandemic reasons.
There will be some nice players picked late in this draft.
If Jerry and Stephen are smart, they let McClays board and opinion dictate.

This is why I like trading down. I think we do deeper investigations than other teams. That should really pay off in a year when the league generally has less information, and should pay off more after the top players, who will bet enough information anyway.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I’ve always thought, what if a team sacrificed 1 year’s 1st round pick for a cascade effect. Like what Philly did: trade down, pick up a 2022 1st.

now that first is the dolphins, so they’re hedging bets on who has a terrible 2021. If Philly does again, they have their own 1st to trade back with and pick up an additional 2023 first. If Miami is bad, they have that pick to trade down with too.

Depending on the teams you trade down with, you’ll have additionally opportunities to get top 10 picks from the following year (especially if it’s teams trading up to select a QB, implying they need one and won’t be good the following year).

Suddenly you’re giving yourself 2-3 first round picks every year by trading down that first year. Philly still drafts at 12, that’s not bad. But if we traded down again, to like 25, throw in a third or something.... maybe we pick up another.

Seems like it’d work, but nobody really seems to want to snowball picks like that. Possibly because most GMs are on “win now or else” mandates.

But Unless you need a QB, I’m always a fan of trading down and picking up more players overall. The draft, for as many ‘sure thing’ players people claim are in it every year, is a complete crapshoot. Bring in an army every year and hope 3-4 pan out long term.

The full draft round of time discount they give to next year's picks seems ridiculous to me. Makes sense from coaches and GMs trying to mortgage the future to squeeze out another year to their contracts. Dumb from an owner's perspective. I'd be taking year delay trades whenever I could get them.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
This is why I like trading down. I think we do deeper investigations than other teams. That should really pay off in a year when the league generally has less information, and should pay off more after the top players, who will bet enough information anyway.
Im right there with you, this is an opportune top 10 draft value as there has been in years,,, I run away from the ten easily if someone is getting crazy, and coughing up nice picks.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Trading down is for teams without screaming needs

Or so many needs that they need more high quality picks to get starters. I think I know a team like that.

I'd likely trade back again and again til I'm out of the first. The 10 is worth 3 2nds, and that's not even making any "profit" on draft value in the trades.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
If Pitts Sewell Slater and Surtain are gone I want to trade down. Otherwise stay put.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Im right there with you, this is an opportune top 10 draft value as there has been in years,,, I run away from the ten easily if someone is getting crazy, and coughing up nice picks.

I don't even need a "good deal" on the trade. Just equivalent value. The draft board, and our needs, really don't align for picking at 10 to me. Most of our needs are *not* at premium positions and would be fine in late 1st or in the 2nd round.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
The Jones-led FO has been really bad at draft day maneuvering for the last quarter century (although better now than they they were).

In typical Jones fashion (think free agency), rather than get better at it, they now just avoid it. Stephen even alluded to it in a post-draft interview a few years ago; teams ask for more in trade talks because they could usually count on the impulsive Owner-GM giving in (aka "The Jerry Tax").

They jumped up for Claiborne and that ended horribly so now they tend to sit on their picks, with the occasional maneuver on Day 3.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I voted stay put, but like many have already stated in this thread, it really depends how the draft falls.

Beaker42

Reaction score
I agree with what you’re saying. But the four quarterbacks go and I’m number 10. I really don’t care how it unfolds. Other than pitts I’m taking defense
What about Sewell - don’t see him falling to 10 but if he does I cause tornado-like destruction getting the pick in.

Status
Not open for further replies.