CZ POLL What do you want the Cowboys to do with their first round pick?

What do you want the Cowboys to do with their first round pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
That kind of trade down gets you a 2nd rounder. No one would do that for a 3rd. That would be a rip off.

If Dallas trades down into the 20's they can also ask for a 2022 second round pick as well.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It really depends. CeeDee Lamb was sixth on Dallas' big board last year so taking him at 17 was too much of a bargain to pass up. Considering the "need" player they were considering- the DE Chaisson that the Jaguars took- it was a smart move.

At ten overall the Cowboys better do one of two things in my opinion- go best player available or trade down and stockpile picks.
Your talking about one pick in the draft where they did it and the talent separation between chiasson and lamb was huge. This blind bpa every time theory is a myth. No one does it.

Praxit

Reaction score
..this is where your scouts come HUGE..! Diamonds in the ruff.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I'd be curious to see a poll of what posters think the Cowboys will actually do with the pick.

trade up
trade down
stay put and select Surtain
stay put and select Pitts
stay put and select someone else

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Your talking about one pick in the draft where they did it and the talent separation between chiasson and lamb was huge. This blind bpa every time theory is a myth. No one does it.

You are right, and I'm not disagreeing with you at all. But the simple rule teams usually follow is this: never reach to fill a need when there's a player at another position graded higher on your board. It's happened a lot to the Cowboys in their draft history.

It's why they drafted Emmitt Smith in 1990 when they really needed defensive tackles and linebackers; why they drafted Zeke in 2016 instead of Leonard Floyd, and why they got Lamb last year. Reaching for a need has gotten them Taco Charlton and Trysten Hill; but those guys are another story by themselves.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You are right, and I'm not disagreeing with you at all. But the simple rule teams usually follow is this: never reach to fill a need when there's a player at another position graded higher on your board. It's happened a lot to the Cowboys in their draft history.

It's why they drafted Emmitt Smith in 1990 when they really needed defensive tackles and linebackers; why they drafted Zeke in 2016 instead of Leonard Floyd, and why they got Lamb last year. Reaching for a need has gotten them Taco Charlton and Trysten Hill; but those guys are another story by themselves.

it’s the “how much higher” thing I’m talking about. It has to be a considerably higher grade to go bpa if you have big needs. If it’s “slightly higher” most are going with need.

kskboys

Reaction score
It really depends. CeeDee Lamb was sixth on Dallas' big board last year so taking him at 17 was too much of a bargain to pass up. Considering the "need" player they were considering- the DE Chaisson that the Jaguars took- it was a smart move.

At ten overall the Cowboys better do one of two things in my opinion- go best player available or trade down and stockpile picks.
Since there's generally no way to determine BPA, that's an empty draft strategy.

Lamb was easy, no one was close to his talent. I didn't like it, but I get it.

kskboys

Reaction score

Taco was not a reach at all. He was projected to go 1st round.

Hill was a terrible reach. That pick never made sense. I don't know one fan who approved.

I do agree w/ you that reaching is mostly bad. Only way it's not is when the player has a ton of potential but is very raw.

Byron Jones was a huge reach. Tyron Smith was a reach, and we passed up higher rated players to take him.

Connor Williams was BPA, as was Lewis.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
Rb first round, rb 2nd round, rb third round. BPA right?
Is your argument to pick for need, so we end up with more Shante Carvers, Kavika Pittman, and Trysten Hills?

Would our team be better with multiple talented RBs and journeyman d-lineman, or one talented RB and additional journeyman d- lineman?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Is your argument to pick for need, so we end up with more Shante Carvers, Kavika Pittman, and Trysten Hills?

Would our team be better with multiple talented RBs and journeyman d-lineman, or one talented RB and additional journeyman d- lineman?

That's not my argument.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I'd be curious to see a poll of what posters think the Cowboys will actually do with the pick.

trade up
trade down
stay put and select Surtain
stay put and select Pitts
stay put and select someone else

stay put and select Surtain...

J-man

Reaction score
Wait, is it what I want them to do or what I think they will do? That needs to be established to answer correctly.
I say trading down between 3-10 spots would go a long way to getting us what we need. But, I don't think they will do it.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Taco was not a reach at all. He was projected to go 1st round.

Hill was a terrible reach. That pick never made sense. I don't know one fan who approved.

I do agree w/ you that reaching is mostly bad. Only way it's not is when the player has a ton of potential but is very raw.

Byron Jones was a huge reach. Tyron Smith was a reach, and we passed up higher rated players to take him.

Connor Williams was BPA, as was Lewis.

Tyron Smith was a reach? From just one site in 2011:

A projected top-20 pick, Smith’s arms are 36 3/8 inches, giving him one of the longest reaches among players measured at the Combine over the last decade. Smith has catcher mitts for hands at 11 inches, and he packs 307 pounds onto a 6-foot-5 frame.

Not a reach imho....

kskboys

Reaction score

Is your argument just to take players willynilly and stay a mediocre team?

kskboys

Reaction score
Tyron Smith was a reach? From just one site in 2011:

A projected top-20 pick, Smith’s arms are 36 3/8 inches, giving him one of the longest reaches among players measured at the Combine over the last decade. Smith has catcher mitts for hands at 11 inches, and he packs 307 pounds onto a 6-foot-5 frame.

Not a reach imho....
And there's the problem. It's always debatable.

Smith was a RT for Trojans. He was considered the 19th best player in draft. We took him at 11. That's a reach.

This year, people are screaming that we can't take the 19-20 ranked player at 10.

conner01

Reaction score
It’s too early for me to say. I would have to see how the draft unfolds.
Yep
You can’t really plan a trade down so I said stay put
If the right opportunity came about I’d definitely consider a trade down depending on how far, what I get and who is likely to be available

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
Is your argument just to take players willynilly and stay a mediocre team?
No, my argument is to select the BEST football players on your board and trust the coaches to utilize their talents and depth charts for the betterment of the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.