What does an acceptable rebuild transition period look like for you?

Proof

Reaction score
I'm just curious for those who want to blow it up, or at the very least move on from Dak. How long would you be comfortable absolutely sucking after?
This isn't a loaded question either, or a disguised thread to fearmonger what losing dak would look like. I'm just coming around, and wondering how others feel.

I'd hate just being terrible with no hope for 3 years +.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I'd give them 1 rebuild year then expectations shoot right back up. It's really just a matter of getting the cap back under control. If you do truly blow it up and deal a Lamb and/or Parsons in theory you should receive a ton of draft capital to rebuild. If this team had 3-5 top 100 draft picks in each of the next two years plus enough available money to go shopping in free agency for impact players I see no reason to believe they couldn't make this a quick rebuild. If you move on from just Dak you eat the cap hit this year and should have the resources to rebuild pretty quick. You'd still have a ton of top end talent in guys like Lamb, Diggs, Parsons, Bland, T Smith, etc plus now potentially some available cap space to fill in some gaps.

The issue teams get into is they wait a year too long to tear it down and they're left picking up the pieces after their star players leave and all they get in return is a comp pick. I think you can often find a solid to good replacement QB via the draft or the open market these days, but its so crucial to have the team around them already built. I think so many young QBs fail despite being labeled as top prospects coming out of school because they go to terrible teams with no help.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
I'm just curious for those who want to blow it up, or at the very least move on from Dak. How long would you be comfortable absolutely sucking after?
This isn't a loaded question either, or a disguised thread to fearmonger what losing dak would look like. I'm just coming around, and wondering how others feel.

3 to 5 years. And that doesn't mean you will have to watch "3+ years with no hope". You would probably witness a rocky start and then see how more and more parts being added and coming together Just think of the Dallas Stars in the late 90s. Slowly but steadily getting closer to the SC. After all those Cowboys years of no hope that's what I wanna see. But you'd also have to add some very good free agents as long as the draftees are still in their rookie contracts.

And we wouldnt start from rock bottom. If you gave away Dak, Tank, Martin and a couple of others (even Micah if that means alot of high picks) you can build around a core of young players who will get better every season. Lamb, "little" Smith, Ferguson, Bland, Diggs, Aubrey (yes not young but no worries in that department) and others...

But it all starts with the right coach and QB. Jerry gotta find the right coach and give him every possible freedom. And then draft QBs like there was no tomorrow.

So I guess it all starts with Jerry.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Is the rebuild to save money or to get better? With the money going up every year, who's going to want to come here except someone who has no control which is a drafted player

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Starting a rebuild we would all see a glimpse if the Cowboys were to draft a QB early in the draft, the writing would be all on the wall!

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Is the rebuild to save money or to get better? With the money going up every year, who's going to want to come here except someone who has no control which is a drafted player
You'd have to go with a rebuild in order to change the culture. This won't happen with the current roster and staff. And the current owner/GM/whatever. No cap room can buy you that.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You'd have to go with a rebuild in order to change the culture. This won't happen with the current roster and staff. And the current owner/GM/whatever. No cap room can buy you that.
very true, that would admit they failed, you know how they feel they're doing everything right

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The Cowboys could suck for years blowing the team up and moving on for Dak. There’s fans that want to move on from Dak, CeeDee and Parsons. They don’t want to pay them. Some act like you can move on from these players and within a couple of years, rebuild the team and are back to contending again. :rolleyes: Just finding a capable QB could take years. Unless you’re struggling to win 5 to 7 games a year you don’t need to rebuild. You certainly don’t need a rebuild coming off three straight 12 win seasons. I’m looking to retool not rebuild.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
At least in the last 30 minutes.
Just wouldn't expect that from you, but moving along, we will be fine, maybe whoever is playing QB could get some wins going and rejuvenate this team/locker room etc, you know how that can go

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The Cowboys could suck for years blowing the team up and moving on for Dak. There’s fans that want to move on from Dak, CeeDee and Parsons. They don’t want to pay them. Some act like you can move on from these players and within a couple of years, rebuild the team and are back to contending again. :rolleyes: Just finding a capable QB could take years. Unless you’re struggling to win 5 to 7 games a year you don’t need to rebuild. You certainly don’t need a rebuild coming off three straight 12 win seasons. I’m looking to retool not rebuild.
hard to retool when you're paying someone so much which I think is the real argument, but it's not his fault, it's the market

Acceptablename

Reaction score

Apparently more than 28 years

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
lol, you don't have enough tools to rebuild. They have been retooling for years for Dak and what has it got the team? Twelve lousey wins and booted from the playoffs in the first round.

A screw driver and a pair of pliers are not going to make this team any better when the motor to the team is running out of oil.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dallas could mortgage this draft for a QB in a Ricky Williams style trade and flat out cut Dak so they eat the $61 million (?) cap hit all at once. Dallas may not have a great season next year but they would still have a good amount of talent, a cheap QB, and at least $61 million (?) in cap space to begin building the following year. Not many players are going to buy into that and certainly not McCarthy so McCarthy would have to be extended as well.