What does an acceptable rebuild transition period look like for you?

jgboys1

Reaction score
I do not think the "rebuild" won't start until 2025. We are running it back this year and after we finish 10-6 and one and done in the playoffs, will the rebuild start.

khiladi

Reaction score
I'm just curious for those who want to blow it up, or at the very least move on from Dak. How long would you be comfortable absolutely sucking after?
This isn't a loaded question either, or a disguised thread to fearmonger what losing dak would look like. I'm just coming around, and wondering how others feel.

I'd hate just being terrible with no hope for 3 years +.
Good question. I don’t think we’d suck, unless we are getting rid of a lot. We were 5-1 with Cooper Rush.

And the way they are basically letting Tyron and Biadasz go, there may be consistent issues on OL for a year or 2…

khiladi

Reaction score
The defense was allowing fewer points, because we were building big leads due mostly to our offense. We had the highest scoring offense in the league. We were forcing opponents to have to play from behind which created takeaways. Our defense is not that good and we found that out in the big games we played. Our defense is never as good as its ranking. We need to keep our defense off the field as much as possible. Dak is a very good QB but he’s struggled in the playoffs just like the rest of the team. He’s been too good in the regular season to move on from him.
No we were playing garbage defenses that were a thousand times worse than our alleged “bad defense”. And it’s rather ironic to claim we had the highest scoring offense in the league and not say that’s because the defense was scoring or putting the offense in easy scoring position..

We also has a FG kicker that could kick from pretty much anywhere..

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak is a very good QB but he’s struggled in the playoffs just like the rest of the team. He’s been too good in the regular season to move on from him.
tenor.gif

Proof

Reaction score
I'd give them 1 rebuild year then expectations shoot right back up. It's really just a matter of getting the cap back under control. If you do truly blow it up and deal a Lamb and/or Parsons in theory you should receive a ton of draft capital to rebuild. If this team had 3-5 top 100 draft picks in each of the next two years plus enough available money to go shopping in free agency for impact players I see no reason to believe they couldn't make this a quick rebuild. If you move on from just Dak you eat the cap hit this year and should have the resources to rebuild pretty quick. You'd still have a ton of top end talent in guys like Lamb, Diggs, Parsons, Bland, T Smith, etc plus now potentially some available cap space to fill in some gaps.

The issue teams get into is they wait a year too long to tear it down and they're left picking up the pieces after their star players leave and all they get in return is a comp pick. I think you can often find a solid to good replacement QB via the draft or the open market these days, but its so crucial to have the team around them already built. I think so many young QBs fail despite being labeled as top prospects coming out of school because they go to terrible teams with no help.
i can get with that. so what is your ideal situation moving forward?

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
this is just loaded question and a good one. Funny thing is I was JUST talking the exact same thing with my son about how I really dont have faith that Dak can lead this team farther than he has, and that is also considering how many years he has left, so do we rebuild but again aren't we all sick of the rebuild process? So yeah, just wanna say this should be a great discussion and should not really turn into a "Dak sucks" thread.

Anyways, here is my thoughts.
I honestly think we should blow it up for short term lets say a 3 year plan. Knowing Jerry like we all do, we probably know already his going "all in" is just lip service and means nothing more than resigning players we already have to gigantic contracts only to strap our cap for many years to come.
So I would tell him that If you don't plan on REALLY going all in this year, then you need to unload all the cap hit and dead weight this year. why not take the hit? not like we have a legit shot anyways. release Dak (get him to agree to a trade and find a trade partner would be better but whatever), let Tyron Smith and Pollard go in free agency.
next year, after cap hell is over (or atleast alot better), really hit hard in the draft with QB at #1... then be very active in FA.
then hopefully the next year after next yr, the draft picks will have gotten their feets wet and team will have gelled and maybe be in better shape cap wise. All the while for these next 3 years, Jimmy Johnson will have a strong influence on this team's rebuilding process.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
The Cowboys could suck for years blowing the team up and moving on for Dak. There’s fans that want to move on from Dak, CeeDee and Parsons. They don’t want to pay them. Some act like you can move on from these players and within a couple of years, rebuild the team and are back to contending again. :rolleyes: Just finding a capable QB could take years. Unless you’re struggling to win 5 to 7 games a year you don’t need to rebuild. You certainly don’t need a rebuild coming off three straight 12 win seasons. I’m looking to retool not rebuild.
LoL **** those 12 win seasons. They would mean something if there was any progress and there was the feeling of getting closer each year. But I'd rather have an honest 1-16 season with the potential of truly changing the way this team operates than experiencing more 12 win / one and out seasons with these guys. I witnessed how greatness can rise up from the ashes a long time ago. But you need the right guys at the rudder. I wonder how anyone still really wants to preserve "what we have" instead of trying something new after all those years. I mean what's the worst that could happen? Another 5 years without a Superbowl? Well at least the band would play a different song for a change. I mean unlike european football leagues there are no lower tiers we could fall down to. So Jerry would still make his money. A true safety net which allows basically any experiment. But instead we get the same ol same ol for three decades now.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
No we were playing garbage defenses that were a thousand times worse than our alleged “bad defense”. And it’s rather ironic to claim we had the highest scoring offense in the league and not say that’s because the defense was scoring or putting the offense in easy scoring position..

We also has a FG kicker that could kick from pretty much anywhere..
We had some defensive and special teams scores, but our offense put up a lot of points. Dak led the league with 36 TD passes. I get some of you don’t like Dak but you can’t just credit our defense and kicker for our points. Its silly to make the excuse our points were due to playing garbage defenses all season. If we had a QB you were happy with you wouldn’t be saying that.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
LoL **** those 12 win seasons. They would mean something if there was any progress and there was the feeling of getting closer each year. But I'd rather have an honest 1-16 season with the potential of truly changing the way this team operates than experiencing more 12 win / one and out seasons with these guys. I witnessed how greatness can rise up from the ashes a long time ago. But you need the right guys at the rudder. I wonder how anyone still really wants to preserve "what we have" instead of trying something new after all those years. I mean what's the worst that could happen? Another 5 years without a Superbowl? Well at least the band would play a different song for a change. I mean unlike european football leagues there are no lower tiers we could fall down to. So Jerry would still make his money. A true safety net which allows basically any experiment. But instead we get the same ol same ol for three decades now.
You’re just one of those fans I pointed out yesterday that would rather be picking in the top 10 every year than making the playoffs. Our regular seasons aren’t translating to the playoffs and no one can figure out why. We don’t seem to be excited about the playoffs like other teams. Our players act like they can’t wait to start their offseason. They don’t appear excited or motivated about postseason.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You’re just one of those fans I pointed out yesterday that would rather be picking in the top 10 every year than making the playoffs.
Why do you automatically think the Cowboys will tank and forever have losing seasons and draft in the top 10 each year if they move on from Dak?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Why do you automatically think the Cowboys will tank and forever have losing seasons and draft in the top 10 each year if they move on from Dak?
I never said they would automatically tank and forever have losing seasons if they move on from Dak. If they move on from him and don’t find a quality replacement that’s at least as good or better they’re going to struggle and that’s a given. It’s not going to be easy to find a better QB than him.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then go find a QB that isn’t very good in the regular season and see how far you get. :thumbup: No playoffs and no chance at a Super Bowl.
I know keeping a QB because "He’s been too good in the regular season to move on from him." makes zero sense.

Dak could go 17-0 each year and it wouldn't change the fact he will be defined as a QB who couldn't win in the playoffs. And certainly doesn't mean they should pay him like they probably will.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
I'm just curious for those who want to blow it up, or at the very least move on from Dak. How long would you be comfortable absolutely sucking after?
This isn't a loaded question either, or a disguised thread to fearmonger what losing dak would look like. I'm just coming around, and wondering how others feel.

As long as it takes, although I don't see a major drop off happening with the defensive talent on board. Truthfully, if we move on from Dak, we can reallocate his projected $60m/year towards a journeyman QB and effectively supplement both trenches. Add a good RB and we're already looking at a contender for the east at the very least.

It's not about getting Dak off of the team. It's about what you can do with the money tied up in his contract. Build the defense, build the running game, and draft QBs until one hits. Once that happens, you have a juggernaut of a squad with a QB on a rookie contract, ready to make a run at the title.

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I don't accept the premise,, you don't have to get rid of everybody all at once and you don't have to fire your starting player BEFORE actively searching for an upgrade,,, in fact a well run franchise understands which positions need upgrading and actively searches for their replacement every year. That's what people don't like about the Dak situation, they don't "hate" Dak,,, they hate that this dumbarse front office has never once looked for a replacement, leaving the fans with no hope. Andy Reid's Chiefs were not terrible before they landed Mahomes, eh?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I know keeping a QB because "He’s been too good in the regular season to move on from him." makes zero sense.

Dak could go 17-0 each year and it wouldn't change the fact he will be defined as a QB who couldn't win in the playoffs. And certainly doesn't mean they should pay him like they probably will.
He’s won in the playoffs, he just hasn’t gone deep. You continue to put it all on him. The first step to winning a championship is making the playoffs and there’s a lot of QBs in the league that can’t lead their teams to the playoffs. Those are the teams looking for QBs. The first three teams picking in the draft are looking for a QB.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
As long as it takes, although I don't see a major drop off happening with the defensive talent on board. Truthfully, if we move on from Dak, we can reallocate his projected $60m/year towards a journeyman QB and effectively supplement both trenches. Add a good RB and we're already looking at a contender for the east at the very least.

It's not about getting Dak off of the team. It's about what you can do with the money tied up in his contract. Build the defense, build the running game, and draft QBs until one hits. Once that happens, you have a juggernaut of a squad with a QB on a rookie contract, ready to make a run at the title.
I know Russell Wilson flamed out in Denver, but he is also a SB winning QB. Now, I know that they probably will not move on from Dak, but I read that Wilson would sign for a mil or two for a prove it year compared to 60 mil for Dak.

Man, JJ really screwed this QB situation up and he don't have the nuts to just cut bait from Dak and save all that coin to spend on what you are talking about. Oh, well....

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I never said they would automatically tank and forever have losing seasons if they move on from Dak.
That is all you have been preaching this off season every day. Losing seasons....top 10 picks....

"The Cowboys could suck for years blowing the team up and moving on for Dak"

I couldn't begin to count the number of times posts similar to that one I've read.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That is all you have been preaching this off season every day. Losing seasons....top 10 picks....

"The Cowboys could suck for years blowing the team up and moving on for Dak"

I couldn't begin to count the number of times posts similar to that one I've read.
Not once have I preached they would “automatically” tank and “forever” have losing seasons. That’s a huge exaggeration! The Cowboys sucking for years is a lot different than having forever losing seasons. You won’t find a quote for me saying anything about the team will be automatic and forever.