What does an acceptable rebuild transition period look like for you?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
hard to retool when you're paying someone so much which I think is the real argument, but it's not his fault, it's the market
We’ll fall apart without him. Everything the Cowboys do offensively revolves around Dak. He has to put up a lot of yards and TDs for us to be successful. There’s been games where he’s been under constant pressure and has the shoulder the load. We can lower his cap hit by extending him. We simply can’t move on from him and continue to be a contending team.

TexasBacon

Reaction score
I'm just curious for those who want to blow it up, or at the very least move on from Dak. How long would you be comfortable absolutely sucking after?
This isn't a loaded question either, or a disguised thread to fearmonger what losing dak would look like. I'm just coming around, and wondering how others feel.

I'd hate just being terrible with no hope for 3 years +.
The problem with blowing it up and letting Dak walk is that this teams' track record when it comes to acquiring good QB talent is terrible and is far worse than Dak's play has been comparatively. If they hadn't lucked into Romo and Dak we'd have had Johnny Football and Paxton Lynch as our high draft pick options. While Dak's play doesn't always inspire confidence, with this front office I'd roll the dice on Dak with a stacked team around him vs. hoping we can find a good QB in free agency or the draft. It just sucks that it feels like we'll be stuck in this purgatory either way, because we know the front office will never truly go "all in". This past year signing Cooks and Gillmore was their version of all in, and it's not nearly enough. And with having to pay Dak, Lamb, and Parsons, we're pretty much riding on Dak not going deer in headlights for once and stringing together some consistent good play against good teams. I'd feel alot better about blowing it up and sucking for a few years if I felt like they'd actually go all in for one or two seasons, whether it works or not.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We’ll fall apart without him. Everything the Cowboys do offensively revolves around Dak. He has to put up a lot of yards and TDs for us to be successful. There’s been games where he’s been under constant pressure and has the shoulder the load. We can lower his cap hit by extending him. We simply can’t move on from him and continue to be a contending team.
extend him but how many more years to add to his deal you add 4 years never mind :rolleyes:

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Who’s going to be your QB without him?
That keeps being said, that shouldn't be the reason NOT to feel we won't be successful! Like he's the only qb on the planet, any player can be replaced, will their be the same production probably not. I think the end result is what's on everyone's mind, he does well during the season, is making a boat load of money, but when it comes time for the big game he's not doing what is needed to be done! (is it all him in these games HELL NO, everyone to be honest should be on the chopping block)-I hope we can agree on that at least

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'd give them 1 rebuild year then expectations shoot right back up. It's really just a matter of getting the cap back under control. If you do truly blow it up and deal a Lamb and/or Parsons in theory you should receive a ton of draft capital to rebuild. If this team had 3-5 top 100 draft picks in each of the next two years plus enough available money to go shopping in free agency for impact players I see no reason to believe they couldn't make this a quick rebuild. If you move on from just Dak you eat the cap hit this year and should have the resources to rebuild pretty quick. You'd still have a ton of top end talent in guys like Lamb, Diggs, Parsons, Bland, T Smith, etc plus now potentially some available cap space to fill in some gaps.

The issue teams get into is they wait a year too long to tear it down and they're left picking up the pieces after their star players leave and all they get in return is a comp pick. I think you can often find a solid to good replacement QB via the draft or the open market these days, but its so crucial to have the team around them already built. I think so many young QBs fail despite being labeled as top prospects coming out of school because they go to terrible teams with no help.
Precisely. IMO if you move on from Prescott, you have to deal Lamb and Parsons and extract a kings ransom for them. Those two players combined could probably fetch you three firsts + more. That is plenty to rebuild with. If you're going to blow this thing up, this was the offseason to do so while Micah and Lamb are at the peak of their trade value before signing monster deals.

Either way you are probably looking at 2 down years minimum before expectations reach what they are currently.

Forneymike

Reaction score
I'm just curious for those who want to blow it up, or at the very least move on from Dak. How long would you be comfortable absolutely sucking after?
This isn't a loaded question either, or a disguised thread to fearmonger what losing dak would look like. I'm just coming around, and wondering how others feel.

I'd hate just being terrible with no hope for 3 years +.
3-5 years minimum...go through 2-4 QBs at least. I don't want a QB who can just get us to the playoffs but they have to win the SB....if they don;t get us to the playoffs in 2 years, then replace......head coach change a couple of times at least......It won't be fun but maybe needed....people on here asking for blow up think you can just draft a QB and you will win the SB...: ).....none of them have a name just a concept so I don't take anyone like that seriously unless they can give me name or names of QB's that will win the SB not just get there

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
This is where I really struggle with the pro Dak arguments. I'm not going to say he's a bad QB, I don't think he is, but I can't get behind this thought process that the Cowboys would fall apart without Dak. This defense allowed fewer than 13 points in our 12 wins this year. The Cowboys without Dak are 9-8 with most of those losses coming in the terrible 2020 season where even with Dak this team was only 2-3.

He's a good player, and someone who at times looks elite. I don't think Dak not being here means this team gets an automatic top 10 draft pick though. Good chance this team was still a playoff team without Dak in 2023.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That keeps being said, that shouldn't be the reason NOT to feel we won't be successful! Like he's the only qb on the planet, any player can be replaced, will their be the same production probably not. I think the end result is what's on everyone's mind, he does well during the season, is making a boat load of money, but when it comes time for the big game he's not doing what is needed to be done! (is it all him in these games HELL NO, everyone to be honest should be on the chopping block)-I hope we can agree on that at least
Unless we have a quality starting QB, we won’t be successful. Our offense is dependent on a productive, consistent QB. Most teams are dependent on that. You can’t just insert another QB and you’re good to go. If there’s not the same production with another QB we won’t be as good a football team.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Unless we have a quality starting QB, we won’t be successful. Our offense is dependent on a productive, consistent QB. Most teams are dependent on that. You can’t just insert another QB and you’re good to go. If there’s not the same production with another QB we won’t be as good a football team.
A game manager won a superbowl yearssssssss ago with a good defense. How quality does he have to be?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
This is where I really struggle with the pro Dak arguments. I'm not going to say he's a bad QB, I don't think he is, but I can't get behind this thought process that the Cowboys would fall apart without Dak. This defense allowed fewer than 13 points in our 12 wins this year. The Cowboys without Dak are 9-8 with most of those losses coming in the terrible 2020 season where even with Dak this team was only 2-3.

He's a good player, and someone who at times looks elite. I don't think Dak not being here means this team gets an automatic top 10 draft pick though. Good chance this team was still a playoff team without Dak in 2023.
The defense was allowing fewer points, because we were building big leads due mostly to our offense. We had the highest scoring offense in the league. We were forcing opponents to have to play from behind which created takeaways. Our defense is not that good and we found that out in the big games we played. Our defense is never as good as its ranking. We need to keep our defense off the field as much as possible. Dak is a very good QB but he’s struggled in the playoffs just like the rest of the team. He’s been too good in the regular season to move on from him.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
A game manager won a superbowl yearssssssss ago with a good defense. How quality does he have to be?
That was years ago and we don’t have a defense good enough to win a championship, especially not with a QB that isn’t productive. Our defense sucks in the playoffs. Can you not see that? It sucked against the real good teams we played this past season. You can’t win Super Bowls with a game manager these days. Practically every Super Bowl the past decade has come down to a QB having to win the Super Bowl. Super Bowls come down to QBs having to make a play. Mahomes made more plays when the Super Bowl was on the line than Brock Purdy. That was the difference!

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
The defense was allowing fewer points, because we were building big leads due mostly to our offense. We had the highest scoring offense in the league. We were forcing opponents to have to play from behind which created takeaways. Our defense is not that good and we found that out in the big games we played. Our defense is never as good as its ranking. We need to keep our defense off the field as much as possible. Dak is a very good QB but he’s struggled in the playoffs just like the rest of the team. He’s been too good in the regular season to move on from him.
Ohhhh i see it was Daks 143 yards week 1 that allowed the Cowboys defense to shut out the Giants. I'm really not trying to knock Dak, the guy had a fantastic year overall, but this godlike status you're trying to give him is ridiculous. And to be honest if the rest of the team is that bad and Dallas is so dependent upon Dak we probably should move on to give the guy an actual chance to win. Bad defense, no run game, and the poor guy is constantly running for his life. Sounds like Jerry is just ruining his HOF chances by keeping him hostage in Dallas.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Not necessarily.
It’s very possible, unless someone steps in and plays as well as he has. I don’t see that happening with what we have on the roster or with any QB that’s available. Every time Dak has a bad game everyone seems to forget how terrific he’s looked in the games he’s played well. No QB in the league this past season put up as good a numbers as he did. We would not have won some of the games we did without his production and efficient play.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That was years ago and we don’t have a defense good enough to win a championship, especially not with a QB that isn’t productive. Our defense sucks in the playoffs. Can you not see that? It sucked against the real good teams we played this past season. You can’t win Super Bowls with a game manager these days. Practically every Super Bowl the past decade has come down to a QB having to win the Super Bowl. Super Bowls come down to QBs having to make a play. Mahomes made more plays when the Super Bowl was on the line than Brock Purdy. That was the difference!
it will continue to suck if we can't add pieces to it

Sjoseph316

Reaction score
Can’t rebuild with Jerry and Stephen. If we tried to it would end up the exact same as it’s been for 28 years.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Ohhhh i see it was Daks 143 yards week 1 that allowed the Cowboys defense to shut out the Giants. I'm really not trying to knock Dak, the guy had a fantastic year overall, but this godlike status you're trying to give him is ridiculous. And to be honest if the rest of the team is that bad and Dallas is so dependent upon Dak we probably should move on to give the guy an actual chance to win. Bad defense, no run game, and the poor guy is constantly running for his life. Sounds like Jerry is just ruining his HOF chances by keeping him hostage in Dallas.
Did you not watch the opener? Every break that could possibly go our way did and we ran the ball efficiently. Dak didn’t have to do much with the defensive scores and the special team scores. I’m not giving Dak a Godlike status, so no need to exaggerate what I say about him. All I’ve said is that he’s a very good QB and we don’t have anyone better. I would have no problem seeing him replaced if we could find a better QB. I have no interest replacing him with an average or declining veteran QB who isn’t getting paid much. That’s not a recipe for winning a Super Bowl.