CFZ What does it take to win a Super Bowl?

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Dak bus driving, Good Coordinator game plans and adjustments, Decent OLine and WIll McClay providing good players on rookie deals should cover the slight Dak contract overpay.

Even then...to get 4 good years at a cheap cost and then complain about 2 really bad years of cap pressure from having to pay your QB putting up good numbers and not turning the ball over. Thats gonna end up being 7 years of play with 2 years being squeezed because of Daks contract.

People want to complain.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Dak bus driving, Good Coordinator game plans and adjustments, Decent OLine and WIll McClay providing good players on rookie deals should cover the slight Dak contract overpay.

Even then...to get 4 good years at a cheap cost and then complain about 2 really bad years of cap pressure from having to pay your QB putting up good numbers and not turning the ball over. Thats gonna end up being 7 years of play with 2 years being squeezed because of Daks contract.

People want to complain.
Daks contract looks pretty good these days. Cap continues to rise.

Blackrain

Reaction score
For starters you need a competent front office That is able to assemble an elite coaching staff because there is no cap on the amount of money that can be spent on good coaching.

Next that front office has to be able to draft quality players in the early rounds that can play immediately. They also need to be able to anticipate what players they will be able to develop from the later rounds as the whole team can't be built from the first round.

The front office needs to be able to add players from free agency that can fill holes and take the team over the top to get to a Super bowl.

Finally they need to be able to assemble this group of talent during the small window of their franchise quarterbacks rookie contract

That will be the time they have the most money to spend on quality players as after the franchise quarterback has to be paid it makes it much more difficult to surround him with the talent necessary to win a Super bowl.

Super bowl team building isn't rocket science. Coaching, trenches on both side of the ball, quarterback, skill positions on both sides of the ball, kicking game.

An easy schedule and a lot of luck. There are many variables that I have left out but these are the major things off the top of my head.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
For starters you need a competent front office That is able to assemble an elite coaching staff because there is no cap on the amount of money that can be spent on good coaching.

Next that front office has to be able to draft quality players in the early rounds that can play immediately. They also need to be able to anticipate what players they will be able to develop from the later rounds as the whole team can't be built from the first round.

The front office needs to be able to add players from free agency that can fill holes and take the team over the top to get to a Super bowl.

Finally they need to be able to assemble this group of talent during the small window of their franchise quarterbacks rookie contract

That will be the time they have the most money to spend on quality players as after the franchise quarterback has to be paid it makes it much more difficult to surround him with the talent necessary to win a Super bowl.

Super bowl team building isn't rocket science. Coaching, trenches on both side of the ball, quarterback, skill positions on both sides of the ball, kicking game.

An easy schedule and a lot of luck. There are many variables that I have left out but these are the major things off the top of my head.

My understanding is that finding a capable QB is hard to find. Are you suggesting we not resign Dak after this contract and rolling with a crap shoot at QB from the draft assuming our Defense is still pulling on all cylinders and Dak is "losing against good teams" but still a quality busdriver?

Im genuinely asking. Because it seems like the league doesnt really follow that philosophy but posters seem to suggest we should let Dak walk. Its a tough situation. Im not pointing a figure at you at all...im just genuinely curious if you can clarify your stance?

I may have read your comment wrong. It does seem like you are saying after the Franchise QB is paid. Does this Dak situation count as that. They seemed to surround him with talent and just paid him. Or are you suggesting we let him walk next contract that is due if he doesnt show ability top notch ability? I assume his next contract isnt as large assuming hes been average as everyone says he is. No doubt...all things equal with good offensive game plan from Moore...the offense should be able to pull their weight with Dak at helm.

Last edited:

GINeric

Reaction score
Stafford is levels better than what we have. Not sure what you're trying to say here. He was buried in Detroit his entire career.

Levels better????? LOOOOOOL!!!! Matt Stafford didn't win his first playoff game until his 11th or 12th season in the NFL.

Levels better??? LOOOOOOOOOOL!!!! Matt Stafford is 11 - 72 vs winning teams...... Dak record is 18 - 24 vs winning teams. Dak, a 4th round pick already has more success vs winning teams in 6 full seasons than Stafford, a 1st round pick has in 13 or 14 seasons..... let that sink in for a minute. I don't want to hear that excuse of where he played and all that other BS, because according to what I was told by many people here.... a very good quarterback elevates the talent around him, etc, etc, etc....

So nah.... Stafford doesn't get that excuse. He was drafted in the 1st round for a reason....

15 other quarterbacks in the NFL would have won the Superbowl with that Rams team last year. Did you realize that Stafford was tied for the most interceptions last year??? That goes to show you how good that team and coaching staff was.

Stafford has alot of interceptions this year too. I guess thats a mark of a good quarterback in your eyes.... LOL!!!

Last edited:

Blackrain

Reaction score
My understanding is that finding a capable QB is hard to find. Are you suggesting we not resign Dak after this contract and rolling with a crap shoot at QB from the draft assuming our Defense is still pulling on all cylinders and Dak is "losing against good teams" but still a quality busdriver?

Im genuinely asking. Because it seems like the league doesnt really follow that philosophy but posters seem to suggest we should let Dak walk. Its a tough situation. Im not pointing a figure at you at all...im just genuinely curious if you can clarify your stance?

I may have read your comment wrong. It does seem like you are saying after the Franchise QB is paid. Does this Dak situation count as that. They seemed to surround him with talent and just paid him. Or are you suggesting we let him walk next contract that is due if he doesnt show ability top notch ability? I assume his next contract isnt as large assuming hes been average as everyone says he is. No doubt...all things equal with good offensive game plan from Moore...the offense should be able to pull their weight with Dak at helm.

This is a great question and DAk is in year seven now and should be at the height of his powers. That said I still believe quarterbacks should be drafted and developed even though you have a franchise quarterback as we've seen injuries can happen at any time.

I believe he fully has the tools to take us to a Super bowl. Now he also has a defense enough weapons and an offensive line that has proven pretty capable.

Granted Cooper Rush was overmatched in the Eagles game but he did win some games against the previous Super bowl contenders and in my mind him being athletically inferior to Dak gives us a good indication of what kind of team DAk has to work with.

We have a pretty favorable schedule to work with coming up. So in a perfect world it is really daks time to shine. There is really no reason why he can't string together a bunch of wins.
We are playing in the best division in football right now and his best efforts may not be enough as the Eagles and Giants have very easy schedules ahead of them.

If for some reason he lays an egg like he did against Tampa in games against teams like the Lions and the bears and we don't at least compete with the Eagles and Giants for a playoff spot I think at that point the front office has to look to the draft and see if a young player on a rookie contract and the money to add four more impact players would not benefit the team more.

That said there's a lot of football to play before that decision would have to be made.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
This is a great question and DAk is in year seven now and should be at the height of his powers. That said I still believe quarterbacks should be drafted and developed even though you have a franchise quarterback as we've seen injuries can happen at any time.

I believe he fully has the tools to take us to a Super bowl. Now he also has a defense enough weapons and an offensive line that has proven pretty capable.

Granted Cooper Rush was overmatched in the Eagles game but he did win some games against the previous Super bowl contenders and in my mind him being athletically inferior to Dak gives us a good indication of what kind of team DAk has to work with.

We have a pretty favorable schedule to work with coming up. So in a perfect world it is really daks time to shine. There is really no reason why he can't string together a bunch of wins.
We are playing in the best division in football right now and his best efforts may not be enough as the Eagles and Giants have very easy schedules ahead of them.

If for some reason he lays an egg like he did against Tampa in games against teams like the Lions and the bears and we don't at least compete with the Eagles and Giants for a playoff spot I think at that point the front office has to look to the draft and see if a young player on a rookie contract and the money to add four more impact players would not benefit the team more.

That said there's a lot of football to play before that decision would have to be made.

Completely agree with you...especially if Moore is telling Cowboys brass Dak is limited.

This is truly Daks time to prove doubters wrong...prime of his career with great team around and people saying he cant drive the bus. His time to shine is now.

I agree that a QB should be drafted regularly to support the starter in the case something should happen. What is your opinion on the Aaron Rogers stories of him refusing to help 2nd 3rd string QBs steal his position. He has a point...but if youre a GM do you stand for that? I still think I draft a QB even if an Aaron Rogers is willing to walk because you drafted a QB. And Im a big Rogers supporter...but if hes willing to leave because he doesnt want competition...I dont think I play that game...even if him and Brady are good enough to make that bargain. Thats putting unnecessary risk on your franchise. THey might be elite...but if they go down the team is destroyed.

Blackrain

Reaction score
For some reason with this franchise under Jerry there are positions we refuse to use a high draft pick on quarterback seems to be one of them for some reason defensive tackle is another.

We have really been lucky with Romo being an undrafted player and DAk being a fourth round pick that we kind of took as an afterthought because everybody we wanted was already taken.

I really believe this is the year because we have a good defense and more importantly we have a good man coaching the defense that will probably get a head coaching opportunity after this season and we may not have him again.

I look at Aaron Rodgers and with the money he's making it's making it tough for them to put players around him for him to be successful and get them over the top.

I think it's pretty much on the franchise to provide a good quarterback coach for developing young players I don't think that can really be put on your starting quarterback but of course everyone's different and some veterans enjoy mentoring a young player while others like Rogers look at it like their schooling them to take their job

It's pretty much the same with all teams when you're paying one guy the salary of five impact players he has to be all world all the time to justify it and that's really hard to expect

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I feel the winners of most Super Bowls, with rare exceptions, need to be exceptional on both sides of the ball. It normally entails having a strong OL, elite QB, good RBs, reliable WRs and a very solid overall defense, as well.

Last edited:

leeblair

Reaction score
A lot of things. The talking heads searching for clicks will attribute every win or every loss to the QB. It’s just what they do. They’re paid to create controversy. But it takes more than the QB to make it to the big dance. You have to have a good running game. You have to have good receivers. You have to have good tight ends (this is really important for the female fans), I kid, I kid. And most importantly on the offense you have to have a really good offensive line. No QB, even the elite ones, can be consistently elite without that kind of team. Just look at how Brady, Rogers, Mahomes, Burrows and Jackson are doing. Now, look at how the Cowboys, Giants, Eagles and Vikings are doing. They’re playing well without elite QB’s.

You also have to have a better than average defense. Deficiencies in any of these areas will hamper your team just look at the elite QB’d teams I’ve mentioned.

Now look at the Bills. Middle of the pack running game and the #1 passing offense along with the #2 defense in the NFL. An elite QB like Allen, Mahomes, Rogers, Brady can overcome weaknesses in one are but they can’t overcome weaknesses in multiple ares of the team. Just can’t do it. I haven’t even touched on coaching which is another aspect of the team that must be good.

My point is that no matter how good your QB is, it takes a complete team to win a Super Bowl. Not just 1 player.
Well, the Cowboys have won four of the last five with a backup quarterback, who by most accounts is the reason for the one loss.
So, by those accounts, with the supposedly elite starter back in, all of those things you mentioned are already apparently in place as they overcame the poor weak arm of the backup quarterback,, so winning the rest of the games, the playoffs, and the Super Bowl should be a mere formality.
But we're really fortunate to have experts such as yourself and Dak, who have won so many big games to explain this to us.
Thank you.

Last edited:

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
The only way we ever win an SB is if our Defense develops into the 85 Bears or 2000 Ravens defense.
With what were paying our bus-driving QB GL trying to keep and sign the talent required for the above defenses.....
What QB do you want and how can we get him?

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Well, the Cowboys have won four of the last five with a backup quarterback, who by most accounts is the reason for the one loss.
So, by those accounts, with the supposedly elite starter back in, all of those things you mentioned are in place, and winning the rest of the games, the playoffs, and the Super Bowl should be a mere formality.
But we're really fortunate to have experts such as yourself and Dak, who have won so many big games to explain this to us.
Thank you.
You’re finally starting to get it. We will be damn good. We are damn good. Get ready and try not to act sad while “your team” makes a nice run.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Also, the “complete team” theory is a myth. Lots of incomplete teams have won SBs. 17 times a team outside the top 5 in overall team efficiency has won it, and 6 times a team outside the top 10 did it. The “best team” by such metrics only wins the SB about 40% of the time in the NFL, much lower than the NBA or MLB. And this is largely because total team efficiency metrics don’t differentiate data based on what wins you games consistently. If you have the #1 rushing attack and #1 rush defense, you total team efficiency will be pretty high but you don’t throw the ball well or stop the pass well you’ll probably still finished at or below .500.

Five things generally define SB winners, in addition to luck with respect to injuries, regular season schedule difficulty, playoff matchups, etc:

A very efficient and explosive passing game
A very good passing efficiency defense
A good turnover margin
A good pass blocking OL
A high adjusted yards per play

All but 3 SB winners in the last 25 years has finished the season top 5 in at least 4 of those 5 categories. The 3 that didn’t finished #1 or #2 in 3 of the them.

Pass the ball well, generate explosive plays, stop the pass and create turnovers. That along with good fortune is how SBs are won.
This might be too deep for a lot of our posters (no offense Dak hate group) but this is some great info. Thanks I love this type of stuff.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Stafford is levels better than what we have. Not sure what you're trying to say here. He was buried in Detroit his entire career.
To be fair you said that about Wentz too and almost no one besides you agrees with you on that one.