CFZ What does it take to win a Super Bowl?

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
To be fair you said that about Wentz too and almost no one besides you agrees with you on that one.
Wentz sadly is a shell of what he was in the 2017 season. The ACL injury was bad but what really did him in was the back injury. Had a lot of potential that one did.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Levels better????? LOOOOOOL!!!! Matt Stafford didn't win his first playoff game until his 11th or 12th season in the NFL.

Levels better??? LOOOOOOOOOOL!!!! Matt Stafford is 11 - 72 vs winning teams...... Dak record is 18 - 24 vs winning teams. Dak, a 4th round pick already has more success vs winning teams in 6 full seasons than Stafford, a 1st round pick has in 13 or 14 seasons..... let that sink in for a minute. I don't want to hear that excuse of where he played and all that other BS, because according to what I was told by many people here.... a very good quarterback elevates the talent around him, etc, etc, etc....

So nah.... Stafford doesn't get that excuse. He was drafted in the 1st round for a reason....

15 other quarterbacks in the NFL would have won the Superbowl with that Rams team last year. Did you realize that Stafford was tied for the most interceptions last year??? That goes to show you how good that team and coaching staff was.

Stafford has alot of interceptions this year too. I guess thats a mark of a good quarterback in your eyes.... LOL!!!

The intelligence is just dripping off this post.

If Prescott was drafted by Detroit he'd be out of the league by now.

Blackrain

Reaction score
It takes a complete and balanced team to win a Super bowl. Or in some cases a team that is just so dominant on one side of the ball that it makes up for the deficiencies on the other side.

We have as complete a team right now as we've had in a long time it's really as much as we could possibly ask for.

We saw with our backup quarterback playing a lot of players really stepped up and made an impact.

We have good coaching at this point especially on defense we have not had a defensive coach like this in a really long time.
He puts players in the right position Gets the most out of them and they like to play for him. McCarthy is better than Garrett by far in my opinion. Moore although not perfect is also better than what we've had

Our offensive line is solid with our young rookie looking like the jewel of the Nile
Our new rookie tight ends are playing well above what we expected.
Our receivers when they catch the ball are above average with Noah Brown surprising us andlooking like a number one receiver at times.

We have a one two punch at running back that is getting the job done.

Special teams look pretty solid with our kicker having a booming leg and pretty fair accuracy along with Turpin providing us a true threat in the return game. Our punter is one of the top in the NFL.

Our defense is very strong with big play capability it's a nose tackle short of being truly elite.

All the pieces are here our backup quarterback has proven that positive now our starting quarterback just has to take over and play up to his ability at all times and be consistent

We are now playing in the best division in football and after looking at the schedules for the Giants Eagles and our Cowboys there is very little room for error.

GINeric

Reaction score
The intelligence is just dripping off this post.

If Prescott was drafted by Detroit he'd be out of the league by now.

The intelligence is just dripping off of your response post.....

No Dak wouldn't be out of the league. Or maybe you believe quarterbacks who are consistently in the "high interception" class is something worth while.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I don’t get the hate for Wentz. No one who saw the way he played in 2017 would claim that Dak is the better QB. Dak has instead had a better career trajectory largely due to the OLine and run game in Dallas.

Wentz's 2017 team won the all of their playoff games, including a win over Brady in the SB, without him. Seems like he had a pretty good supporting cast.

Since then, two teams have given up on him and the head coach of his third one threw him under the bus last week. The dude was a second overall pick.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Also, the “complete team” theory is a myth. Lots of incomplete teams have won SBs. 17 times a team outside the top 5 in overall team efficiency has won it, and 6 times a team outside the top 10 did it. The “best team” by such metrics only wins the SB about 40% of the time in the NFL, much lower than the NBA or MLB. And this is largely because total team efficiency metrics don’t differentiate data based on what wins you games consistently. If you have the #1 rushing attack and #1 rush defense, you total team efficiency will be pretty high but you don’t throw the ball well or stop the pass well you’ll probably still finished at or below .500.

Five things generally define SB winners, in addition to luck with respect to injuries, regular season schedule difficulty, playoff matchups, etc:

A very efficient and explosive passing game
A very good passing efficiency defense
A good turnover margin
A good pass blocking OL
A high adjusted yards per play

All but 3 SB winners in the last 25 years has finished the season top 5 in at least 4 of those 5 categories. The 3 that didn’t finished #1 or #2 in 3 of the them.

Pass the ball well, generate explosive plays, stop the pass and create turnovers. That along with good fortune is how SBs are won.

Additional to that, and maybe the biggest point: Football is 59% what you do, and 50% your opposition. In 2018 the NE Patriots won the SB because their biggest opposition couldn’t score 4 points. In 2019 the KC Chiefs won the SB because SF didn’t have an offense that could hold the lead once Mahomes got rolling. That wasn’t a complete chiefs team by any metric; they were losing by double digit in every playoff game. They were just less flawed than the others and lucked out by Tom losing in the first round.

Luck too. We were very close to a Bengals/Niners SB. Two 7 loss teams that weren’t close to the top of the league in efficiency or whatever metric is being used.

Be good in a year your conference sucks ( both Dallas and Philly check), be lucky with scheduling and injuries (Philly check, Dallas sorta check), hope Allen Mahomes and Herbert all somehow lose to the Jets in the playoffs. Easy SB

cowboyec

Reaction score
an interesting topic gets derailed by the riff-raff.

i'd say an offense that scores in the red zone consistently and a really good defense that seals the deal.

leeblair

Reaction score
A lot of things. The talking heads searching for clicks will attribute every win or every loss to the QB. It’s just what they do. They’re paid to create controversy. But it takes more than the QB to make it to the big dance. You have to have a good running game. You have to have good receivers. You have to have good tight ends (this is really important for the female fans), I kid, I kid. And most importantly on the offense you have to have a really good offensive line. No QB, even the elite ones, can be consistently elite without that kind of team. Just look at how Brady, Rogers, Mahomes, Burrows and Jackson are doing. Now, look at how the Cowboys, Giants, Eagles and Vikings are doing. They’re playing well without elite QB’s.

You also have to have a better than average defense. Deficiencies in any of these areas will hamper your team just look at the elite QB’d teams I’ve mentioned.

Now look at the Bills. Middle of the pack running game and the #1 passing offense along with the #2 defense in the NFL. An elite QB like Allen, Mahomes, Rogers, Brady can overcome weaknesses in one are but they can’t overcome weaknesses in multiple ares of the team. Just can’t do it. I haven’t even touched on coaching which is another aspect of the team that must be good.

My point is that no matter how good your QB is, it takes a complete team to win a Super Bowl. Not just 1 player.
So, what you're really trying to say is that we shouldn't expect more from the Cowboys with Dak back under center, and due to the many factors that must come together and stars that must align to win a Super Bowl, that it is wrong of us to expect the Cowboys to ever win one.
You are saying we should just be thrilled to get to watch Dak play, because he's so good, and just shut up about the rest. Maybe if we're lucky, someday we'll see one.
Wow.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think you need to be good both sides of the ball, I don't think you need #1 offense or #1 defense but neither can be a liability. Last year Cinn defense was ranked 12th no doubt their defense played better than expected in post season but never was a liability.

conner01

Reaction score
A lot of things. The talking heads searching for clicks will attribute every win or every loss to the QB. It’s just what they do. They’re paid to create controversy. But it takes more than the QB to make it to the big dance. You have to have a good running game. You have to have good receivers. You have to have good tight ends (this is really important for the female fans), I kid, I kid. And most importantly on the offense you have to have a really good offensive line. No QB, even the elite ones, can be consistently elite without that kind of team. Just look at how Brady, Rogers, Mahomes, Burrows and Jackson are doing. Now, look at how the Cowboys, Giants, Eagles and Vikings are doing. They’re playing well without elite QB’s.

You also have to have a better than average defense. Deficiencies in any of these areas will hamper your team just look at the elite QB’d teams I’ve mentioned.

Now look at the Bills. Middle of the pack running game and the #1 passing offense along with the #2 defense in the NFL. An elite QB like Allen, Mahomes, Rogers, Brady can overcome weaknesses in one are but they can’t overcome weaknesses in multiple ares of the team. Just can’t do it. I haven’t even touched on coaching which is another aspect of the team that must be good.

My point is that no matter how good your QB is, it takes a complete team to win a Super Bowl. Not just 1 player.
It takes a TEAM
And a lot of luck

DFWJC

Reaction score
Indeed, after he led the NFL in interceptions during the season. It appears he may have had a little help from his teammates.
No doubt

Then again, he also was 2nd in the league in TDs
The differential matters, as you know

17 ints vs 41 Tds not quite the same as Jameis Winstons 30 ints vs 32 Tds...lol

And of course, Stafford's big stats was ZERO ints in the 4th quarter all year and playoffs.
No QB had ever done that.
Even then, had to have some luck

FVSTONE

Reaction score

A game run game and GREAT DEFENSE, oh and don't forget about the lousy officials who want to have their presents known!