What does Jason Garrett actually do?

SeaTurtle1

Reaction score
This kindergarten offense is Garretts? This vanilla offense with no innovation, devoid of adjustments that can't move the ball if any injuries occur is Garretts?

Why the heck is he still here?

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If it wasn't for Jason Garrett who knows where we be right now, it was his idea to build the offensive line, the defensive line.. start from scratch in the pits. That was the beginning do I really need to go further

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It is his offense. Moore isn’t going to change the playbook and philosophy, instead he’ll tweak specific things and control the tendencies. Moore is running the same playbook Linehan did and Garrett did under Phillips. Concepts might alter, but it’s still Garrett’s premise.
The entire NFL runs exactly the same plays. It's how you disguise them when to bring the wrinkles in that they haven't seen in awhile.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I just can’t believe he’s gotten 10+ years in Dallas with his lack of playoff success.

Only the Bengals would give a coach with our lack of success this much time.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
It's not his offense.
It's not his defense.
He doesn't call plays.

What does he actually do that any figurehead like Switzer or Campo couldn't do?
The culture Garrett creates in that locker room and the influence he has on bringing in talent is far beyond anything Switzer or Campo could do for the franchise.

The team is disciplined, blue collar, and talented. That’s why they’re one of the winningest franchises for the last half decade.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I just can’t believe he’s gotten 10+ years in Dallas with his lack of playoff success.

Only the Bengals would give a coach with our lack of success this much time.
This is not the same old Cowboys. Three playoff games in the last 2 seasons. I don't care what he did in the past this is a different team

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
The entire NFL runs exactly the same plays. It's how you disguise them when to bring the wrinkles in that they haven't seen in awhile.

Yeah... no.

You're implying NE's RPO's with Tom Brady are the same ones Lamar Jackson is running?

R8mplVt.gif

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yes yes he has

But the team believes in him in ways I could never understand
Tell me how he has lost games for this team. And don't tell me it was the iced his own kicker. Because if you didn't I send we were going to get a penalty. And we would have been out of field-goal range

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yeah... no.

You're implying NE's RPO's with Tom Brady are the same ones Lamar Jackson is running?

R8mplVt.gif
Make no mistake about it .from the first game this league ever played. They run exactly the same plays they disguise them they innervate them. They bringing wrinkles that haven't been played in a while. But I have not seen one new play . over 60 years yeah how many different formations can you come up with LOL. How many different pass plays can you dream up. That the NFL already hasn't. Someone's not thinking. They're just assuming

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yeah... no.

R8mplVt.gif
No but they could that's the point. They all run the exact same play at some point in time. How do you not comprehend that. Don't be so tunnel vision just because a team doesn't run them doesn't mean they can't run them. It's about scheming disguising innovation. Seriously, does your brain not think that vast. Are you stuck in neutral

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I could go on and on but obviously something's not working upstairs and you don't get it.

Philly has about a dozen plays in their playbook that are variances of 12's formation where the two TE's run corner routes 30 yards downfield. That opens up the middle for slants by the WR's or a deep post by Desean Jackson.

What use would Dallas EVER have for that play? When was the last time you saw Jason Witten sprinting 30 yards downfield and more than an ILB bother following him? 2009?

GenoT

Reaction score
It's not his offense.
It's not his defense.
He doesn't call plays.

What does he actually do that any figurehead like Switzer or Campo couldn't do?
• It IS Garrett’s offense. All that Linehan/Moore was/is allowed to do was/is tweak the existing playbook and call the plays. Neither OC was/is the creator of the current Cowboys offense.
• In his entire NFL career, Garrett has never worked on the defensive side of the ball.
• Garrett hasn’t called his own plays since the 2012 season.

What keeps Garrett in his job is his ability to work under Jerry’s unique “everything by committee” management structure (including coaching staff hires/fires), to stoically go with the flow and to allow Jerry and Stephen to pontificate on the state-of-the-team whenever they please — with Garrett VERY rarely (if ever) publicly contradicting them.

I never thought Garrett should’ve been hired as HC but, considering he’s working under a mediocre but very hands-on GM who cannot be fired, there are likely few HCs in this game who could last long enough under Jerry to have success much beyond what Garrett has accomplished since 2014 (see: Bill Parcells).

As long as Jerry Jones has the final say-so on who’s the Dallas Cowboys HC (he does), and as long as JJ believes Jason Garrett is the best man for the job, JG won’t be going anywhere.

Last edited:

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Philly has about a dozen plays in their playbook that are variances of 12's formation where the two TE's run corner routes 30 yards downfield. That opens up the middle for slants by the WR's or a deep post by Desean Jackson.

What use would Dallas EVER have for that play? When was the last time you saw Jason Witten sprinting 30 yards downfield and more than an ILB bother following him? 2009?
It's still the same plays. It doesn't mean we run them but they are there. Since the beginning of the league. So again the entire NFL runs the exact same plays they just disguise them innovate them. Stop it. Again don't be so tunnel vision. I should have expected that from an Eagles fan