What does Jerry Jones as owner and GM owe you as a fan? And why?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You’re on the right track about not supporting this team in order for the franchise value to diminish and force the FO to make changes.

However, someone replied to one of my posts and stated quite honestly that nothing will change.
The stadium will still be filled, the merchandise will all be bought up and the majority of cowboys fans will still keep believing that this will be the year.
Jerry has built an entertainment business. why the seats fill? its the stadium experience. the money is in regular season, so regular season success translates to dollars and franchise value. that's why we have been one of the most successful, entertaining teams in regular season, but failed in post season. Jerry sells hope. sells an entertainment product, not to the ardent fans, like the OP, they may not even spend money, but one way or other they watch and support the industry. he caters to the fringe fans to expand his pie. thus the fringe fans are not into cowboys history, nor are as emotional about wins/losses (you can't tell me some fans here don't get emotional one way or other). thus Jerry and the cowboys are successful as a franchise, which is to maximize its value. they chose the right slice, right crowd and right group to market to. to the ardent fans, he sells hope. just enough FAs or signings to give you a ray of hope and to the fringe fans tons of possibilities to bring them back.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
It depends on what you mean by “owe”. Obviously, there is no literal debt to be paid. But that’s not what is usually meant by the term.

By Jerry’s ownership of the team, and in particular the title of the GM and what responsibilities that entails, he owes it to the organization and those that support it, the fulfillment of them. In the case of GM, he owes the ability to manage the creation and development of a winning team on the field that competes for championships, as that is the primary responsibility that comes with the title. It’s just like any other responsibility, whether it’s an employee/employee relationship, or a marriage contract.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Sports is an entertainment business.

With the Cowboys, the fans aren't the ones being entertained. Cowboys fans are not told at the gate that the purpose of the Cowboys is to entertain Jerry as he cosplays GM. The Cowboys are a 10 billion dollar barbie house where the owner gets to pretend he is a football guy.

1942willys

Reaction score
Fo me as a fan, Jerry owes me jack squat. Nothing. Maybe that is why I do not fixate and obsess on him and blame him for everything like some people here do. I simply analyze his decisions. Criticize when warranted, praise when warranted. I don't get carried away with hate as an emotion when I judge.

I do not buy tickets to the game. I do not buy any Cowboy or NFL merchandise. I do not watch any games on live tv. I quit watching tv altogether in Nov 2020, so I don't even watch sports talk shows or commercials. After the game is over, I watch the game wherever I find the game for free online with no commercials. I directly spend $0.00 on the Cowboys and the NFL. I read free articles and forums online.

I have been a Cowboys fan a long time. Since the day my favorite college player, Tony Dorsett, became a Cowboy.

I often read here from commenters that Jerry 'owes' them something? A competitive team? A super bowl every so many years? A playoff appearance? A winning record? FA signings? A firing of a coach if things don't go well? I am curious as to why people think they are entitled or owed anything as a fan? Because you buy season tickets? Because you watch on tv? Because you have been a fan a long time?
Jerry Jones again and again has said he is committed to winning a SB
Therefore he has made a promise to do his best to win a sb
He is guilty of lying
an argument could be made he has not made a great effort to do so in many years
BUT owe us? I can agree he does not