What does mental health mean?

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Now that Osaka has pulled out of the French Open due to her "Mental Health," how is this going to impact future athletes? I dont understand this to be honest. WTH does it even mean? Anytime we are uncomfortable we can ditch the activity that makes us uncomfortable due to our mental health? Well damn, I remember leaving my crying 3 year old daughter and wife to get on a plane to fly to the middle east not knowing if I would ever see them again. That was pretty stressful and I should have said my mental health simply wouldnt allow me to go fight in some war.

IM a teacher, and I get nervous about meeting with all of the parents during parent/teacher conferences and so maybe Ill tell the school district that I cant do them because I really need to take care of my mental health.

Then maybe on a couple of Fridays I'll just call in and tell them my home life is really stressful at the moment and I need a day off to deal with that stress.

WTH is wrong with these young kids? Seriously.... anytime anything is a little uncomfortable they trip out and the sad part is now society just goes right along with this and babies the hell out of them. Its just a continuation of participation trophies. That crap started because we didnt want the little 8 year old kid to have hurt feelings because his team went 0-25 in that baseball season. College coaches cant even coach anymore.... if you dont know, look up transfer portal transfers for any sport. Girls college fastpitch is now essentially like club ball because anytime a kid gets a little upset with the coach, bam, they transfer.

Toughen up buttercup, life is hard. Life is always training for that boxing match against you, and as soon as you turn 18 and step in the ring, life is gonna knock your arse out. Are you gonna be ready to fight back? or go into a corner and cry that life is too hard........ smh. Damn good thing we dont need these young kids to fight WW2.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
I don't know I have never had a case of it Is it contagious?

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
What do you see?
aint-splatters-transparent-transparent-ink-splatter-11562911489om80pyazuz.png

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
thats all you have? why respond to a thread that is very serious if thats all you are going to say. By the way... you are hurting my feelings

This thread is hard to take seriously, because you're just coming off as someone who knows very little about the "mental health" issue people are talking about, and also just want to rag on the younger generation, like every generation does the one after them, and unfortunately may until the end of time. No offense.

Millennials are also the first generation to come of age since cultural attitudes about mental health started changing, so they tend to talk about it more often.

We're not talking about just being nervous or sad. Us young kids want to destigmatize serious mental health issues. Granted, some don't help the cause by exaggerating their issues. And some people legitimately do need to "toughen up". But that's far from a new thing.

My father and mother both worked in the medical field. The dangers of just ignoring ones' mental health often leads to nothing but suffering most of the time, even suicide. We're talking about serious issues. The fact that 132 people a day kill themselves in this country on average, and the fact that rate is going up, proves that "just suck it up" isn't an effective solution. Saying "back in my day we just sucked it up until we died or blew our brains out" doesn't make you sound tough, either. It makes it sound like progress needs to be made, and this should have been a destigmatized subject much longer ago.

How about we listen to people who talk about mental health issues (whether they're real or not), with an open mind to make the world a better place, instead of ragging on them and pretending we're tougher?

Turk

Reaction score
This thread is hard to take seriously, because you're just coming off as someone who knows very little about the "mental health" issue people are talking about, and also just want to rag on the younger generation, like every generation does the one after them, and unfortunately may until the end of time. No offense.

Millennials are also the first generation to come of age since cultural attitudes about mental health started changing, so they tend to talk about it more often.

We're not talking about just being nervous or sad. Us young kids want to destigmatize serious mental health issues. Granted, some don't help the cause by exaggerating their issues. And some people legitimately do need to "toughen up". But that's far from a new thing.

My father and mother both worked in the medical field. The dangers of just ignoring ones' mental health often leads to nothing but suffering most of the time, even suicide. We're talking about serious issues. The fact that 132 people a day kill themselves in this country on average, and the fact that rate is going up, proves that "just suck it up" isn't an effective solution. Saying "back in my day we just sucked it up until we died or blew our brains out" doesn't make you sound tough, either. It makes it sound like progress needs to be made, and this should have been a destigmatized subject much longer ago.

How about we listen to people who talk about mental health issues (whether they're real or not), with an open mind to make the world a better place, instead of ragging on them and pretending we're tougher?

and too many use it as a crutch that is not needed.

I have had more than a few of my doctors over the last 20 years tell me that the mental health part of the medical profession needs a serious shakeout.
I ask you this:
After all these years of all this available mental health treatment, has the rate of suicides gone down? just curious.

I know the last people one should ask about this is the doctors involved

OF course they will say their efforts are always needed and necessary.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
This thread is hard to take seriously, because you're just coming off as someone who knows very little about the "mental health" issue people are talking about

Did you read what I wrote? hmmm, Quote " I dont understand this to be honest."

, and also just want to rag on the younger generation, like every generation does the one after them, and unfortunately may until the end of time. No offense.

Possibly,

We're not talking about just being nervous or sad. Us young kids want to destigmatize serious mental health issues.

So explain what we are talking about then. Because with this tennis player, just sounds like she is very nervous about speaking. If im incorrect, please clarify.

Granted, some don't help the cause by exaggerating their issues. And some people legitimately do need to "toughen up". But that's far from a new thing.

There is little doubt that this condition impacts millennials FAR more than any generation before them.

Are all of those people just "Sucking it up?" Of all those suicides, how many have been getting treatment for their issues? Do you have that data?

Tougher? who said anything about tough? I didnt.. i just live life. I have had to deal with tons of crap in my life and I deal with it. What is the treatment for a kid that has alcoholic parents? divorced parents? Poverty? Neglect? verbal abuse? Id argue there is no treatment. As long as those conditions are present, no amount of talking is going to help any of those conditions. I dont claim to be a professional........ just a person that does like most people. We deal with out daily issues and continue to live life. Osaka, strangely didnt try to duck dealing with the press when playing in a major that she dominates on. She happens to be very avg (not really the right word when talking about a top tennis player in the world) on clay, so now she has mental health issues.

kskboys

Reaction score

Maybe suicides are going up because people are being babied?

dsturgeon

Reaction score
The tavistock institution is an interesting research project. This and various other social engineering programs have been happening for quite awhile.

Technology is interesting. You now have a generation coming up where they have had a cell phone in their hands and social media their whole lives. They have grown up with a like dislike button, swiping, friend unfriend button, and so on. It is a significant mental health change. It is even effecting people who did not grow up this way.

I know the answer to all these issues, but it has gotten my posts deleted and locked out of threads, and is against the forum rules

IM sorry, I had... I thought a fairly well thought out post deleted because I apparently mentioned something, that I thought was very pertinent to this discussion, but is not allowed here. Ill bow out of this discussion from here as I thought this was for real issues outside of NFL football for adults. Apparently I was incorrect.

as to this, toughen up buttercup

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
when I saw the thread i was thinking you talking about the city of Osaka,,since I have never heard of this player
as for the mental health it is a serious issue and should not be taken lightly....Now not all the claims you hear about can be true

John813

Reaction score
She's the #2 women tennis player in the world. I doubt she won too many participation awards along her way to becoming a pro tennis player.

Everyone is wired differently, we are human, prone to mistakes and flaws. I highly doubt everyone in 1940's was big and badass. You just hear about it more as technology gives everyone a voice that anyone can read.

Besides, there's plenty of mentally off people of all ages. The guy who shot up the San Jose railyard was 57.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IM sorry, I had... I thought a fairly well thought out post deleted because I apparently mentioned something, that I thought was very pertinent to this discussion, but is not allowed here. Ill bow out of this discussion from here as I thought this was for real issues outside of NFL football for adults. Apparently I was incorrect.

Although I like to talk about the Pew Pews since I enjoy it...We are not allowed to talk about the issue and once told I said ok and moved on. I did not make a stink of it or get butt hurt like you seem to have.
So to bring your original topic back to point...

So your pulling out due to a mental health issue?

For the record I am just being sarcastic. :)

Last edited:

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Back to the topic at hand.

Back in the day when most of us old fogies were in school...if a kid was picked on or bullied, once they left school they could retreat to their own world at home without (for the most part) being bullied. You also might have friends at home in your neighborhood that you know would not pick on you in front of other kids.

Now with social media playing such a major part in youth and in the world today, those kids getting bullied or picked on at school are also getting picked on social media for all to see and no matter where they go.

Now for the most part I think todays kids need to grow tougher skins and yadda yadda yadda.

But I also remember that what we felt was so important as youth are not always the same things that were important as we matured and became adults.

I am sure we can all think back to how we may have been a little more worried about what others thought of us, about how we just wanted to fit in and other things consistent with peer pressure and growing up as a youth.

Thankfully we mature some, care less about what other people think of us, do not worry about wearing this or that as much as we did back when we were younger.

Also who knows what that young woman has been put through. I have heard she has been hounded relentlessly on social media. Who knows how she was raised, maybe her parents were really hard on her and she never felt she could live up to the expectations her family had of her no matter how well she did.

Used to be some would make fun of someone who was depressed or had mental breakdowns or issues. Now it is taken more seriously and there is nothing wrong with someone saying they need to take a time out and regroup.

Does not mean someone is weak or a pansy.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Getting back to the question posed by the OP, I find that there an ever increasing number of syndromes and mental disorder in today's society. It seems as though every life "stressor" has its own disorder and, by extension, the metal health profession has a therapy or pill to remedy it.

I don't know if this is a good thing or not. I do know that, in general, society is more open to discussing mental health issues.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Now that Osaka has pulled out of the French Open due to her "Mental Health," how is this going to impact future athletes? I dont understand this to be honest. WTH does it even mean? Anytime we are uncomfortable we can ditch the activity that makes us uncomfortable due to our mental health? Well damn, I remember leaving my crying 3 year old daughter and wife to get on a plane to fly to the middle east not knowing if I would ever see them again. That was pretty stressful and I should have said my mental health simply wouldnt allow me to go fight in some war.

IM a teacher, and I get nervous about meeting with all of the parents during parent/teacher conferences and so maybe Ill tell the school district that I cant do them because I really need to take care of my mental health.

Then maybe on a couple of Fridays I'll just call in and tell them my home life is really stressful at the moment and I need a day off to deal with that stress.

WTH is wrong with these young kids? Seriously.... anytime anything is a little uncomfortable they trip out and the sad part is now society just goes right along with this and babies the hell out of them. Its just a continuation of participation trophies. That crap started because we didnt want the little 8 year old kid to have hurt feelings because his team went 0-25 in that baseball season. College coaches cant even coach anymore.... if you dont know, look up transfer portal transfers for any sport. Girls college fastpitch is now essentially like club ball because anytime a kid gets a little upset with the coach, bam, they transfer.

Toughen up buttercup, life is hard. Life is always training for that boxing match against you, and as soon as you turn 18 and step in the ring, life is gonna knock your arse out. Are you gonna be ready to fight back? or go into a corner and cry that life is too hard........ smh. Damn good thing we dont need these young kids to fight WW2.

I think there are people with true, debilitating, or near debilitating, mental health issues. And varying degrees that fall somewhere below that.

I also think that there are band wagon jumpers, sometimes even without realizing it, who cite mental health issues as an excuse to avoid things they don't want to do.

The problem is in identifying which is which, and that is made more difficult by the fact (at least I believe it's fact) that over time I don't think some people can even differentiate normal stress or anxiety that most people deal with from truly significant issues. Once people start believing that even normal issues are true mental health issues the lines gets blurred to the point society will have more and more difficulty dealing with it.