What does mental health mean?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Reid1boys, Jun 1, 2021.

1. Winonesoon

Winonesoon Well-Known Member

1,192 Messages
    1,754 Likes Received
    that's just it, we are tougher and raised without the social interactions and mental compacity to understand the full process of mental health. Someone once said ignorance is bliss. You can only appreciate that if you have seen both sides. I have. This generation starting with "Time out" is much softer and in need of extra security. They are smarter, well educated ,and productive as a whole. However, they are soft as Charmin as a whole. I'm not saying all individuals.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
    Vtwin and Runwildboys like this.
  2. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Regular Joe....

58,935 Messages
    27,715 Likes Received
    Was that really necessary?

3. Winonesoon

Winonesoon Well-Known Member

1,192 Messages
    1,754 Likes Received
    Not really but, proves another point.

4. ABQCOWBOY

58,935 Messages
    27,715 Likes Received
    This basically started when the decision was made to stop sending people to mental facilities because it was inhumane. It was really a money thing, to be honest but I digress. So instead of funding mental facilities, we just started sending them to jail. Now, we have started releasing criminals and a lot of them are mentally imbalanced because that's how we do it. So now you have a lot of mentally unstable people walking around out there and it's being woven into our society. It's becoming acceptable behavior and even being used as reasoning or justification for certain types of behavior.

But here's the thing folks, and you can agree or not, doesn't matter. Life corrects and this will be no exception. When this type of behavior goes too far, life will correct and unfortunately, it won't be pretty but it will happen. This is the problem with exteemes. The correction to center is also extreem and that's no fun either.

Runwildboys and BigStar like this.
  5. JD_KaPow

JD_KaPow jimnabby

8,461 Messages
    7,035 Likes Received
    There's nothing serious about this thread.

DoctorChicken likes this.
  6. DoctorChicken

DoctorChicken Well-Known Member

5,317 Messages
    11,102 Likes Received
    This whole thread isn’t necessary.

7. OmerV

OmerV Zone Supporter

22,891 Messages
    19,362 Likes Received
    What thread is necessary?

Runwildboys likes this.
  8. ABQCOWBOY

58,935 Messages
    27,715 Likes Received
    Then ignore it if you don't find it useful.

9. CouchCoach

CouchCoach Moderator

32,143 Messages
    55,953 Likes Received
    It is not easy to understand it but some people are just wired differently and there's not a cure for it. They can try, and that's a big TRY, to treat the symptoms but the cause is difficult to treat. The meds are hit and miss and can actually exacerbate the issue.

How can a parent murder their own child? How can someone be a serial killer totally lacking compassion or remorse? How can someone once they've reached the summit, the goal they were seeking, just end their own life? They "had it made"!

There have always been people born with a wiring issue and the stress of society wasn't as prevalent as it is today. Men laughed off PMS as the "blues" or a "bad mood" and Post Partum Depression was thought just to be made up until more research was conducted to prove these exist in some women.

If you consider yourself to have sound mental health and can't understand the "mental health issue", count yourself as a lucky person. While some feign it, it is a real issue for many people and debilitating to their everyday lives.

I have a close friend that is a well respected shrink in Dallas and she told me her most heartbreaking patients are those that are aware they're mentally ill. It is like a waking nightmare to them that they cannot control or wake up from and all they can do is throw meds at it and hope that works.

Just how tricky is the mind? Clinical depression brings about the creation of Prozac, and others, and they discover one of the latent side effects for younger people is suicidal thoughts. I think that's not an acceptable side effect to depression meds.

Honestly, the biggest problem for people fighting mental illness are the people that refuse to consider it a disease. That they can just snap out of it, toughen up or grow a pair. It is OK to not understand it, it is not OK to discount it.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
  10. CouchCoach

CouchCoach Moderator

32,143 Messages
    55,953 Likes Received
    Pick any of mine.

DoctorChicken, Runwildboys and OmerV like this.
  11. InTheZone

InTheZone Well-Known Member

7,522 Messages
    7,122 Likes Received
    if tennis is causing her stress, regardless of what we may believe, then good for her taking a step back. People need to do this more often regarding social media, music, movies, etc. If it's causing a burden in your life or compounding an issue, then step away. What I don't want to see is her getting more attention from this, let her do her thing behind the scenes, the world doesn't need to know if she's getting help.

edit: and I'm not in any way advocating for her to be on some pill. People in this state need to go out of their way to get right. She seems physically fit, but maybe spend more time helping others, do something positive to get you away from the spotlight that helps your mind.

Runwildboys likes this.
  12. Rockport

Rockport AmberBeer Zone Supporter

28,646 Messages
    27,515 Likes Received
    If our teachers are like you were in deep trouble. Depression is usually caused by a chemical imbalance.

13. Aviano90

Aviano90 Go Seahawks!!!

14,795 Messages
    21,429 Likes Received
    Athletes vs. the media. Let's see how this plays out in our current culture climate. I think it's more interesting than the actual sports. It's one of those battles I don't care who wins, I just want it to get ugly.

14. Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country Well-Known Member

6,921 Messages
    8,309 Likes Received
    Most of us would never kill ourselves or kill a bunch of random people. But mental health issues is what leads a person to do those types of things. So mental health is a very serious topic.

For a tennis player to use mental health as a reason to skip an interview, she had to have some things going wrong in her personal life. If she just had a miscarriage or her mom just passed, I could understand her not wanting to be interviewed. And I'm pretty sure she's not contemplating suicide over an interview.

--------------------------------------------------------------

You can't control your thoughts. You can't control your emotions. But you can control what you say and do. When someone starts losing control of their actions, due to their thoughts and emotions, they're having mental health issues. To most of us, losing control is a temporary issue. But to some it's a daily occurrence. Those people that struggle with controlling themselves on a daily basis have on going, chronic mental heath issues.

15. Reid1boys

Reid1boys Well-Known Member

4,334 Messages
    3,717 Likes Received
    Shut the heck up... you dont have a clue about me. I coached softball for many years, IM about to go to my 13th wedding in Sept... you think those kids have you at their wedding if you are a jerk? Cant even tell you how much I do for my kids, but I also dont allow them to sit around and make excuses. Make excuses over and over with your employer and see how long you have a job.

16. Rockport

Rockport AmberBeer Zone Supporter

28,646 Messages
    27,515 Likes Received
    I don’t give a damn if you drove the Popes car. You’re an ignorant fool because you don’t realize that depression is caused by a chemical imbalance and can be treated. You’re an embarrassment to all teachers everywhere.

17. DoctorChicken

DoctorChicken Well-Known Member

5,317 Messages
    11,102 Likes Received
    The discussion of mental health is useful.

The OP, which essentially consists of “back in my day”, on the other hand...

18. Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country Well-Known Member

6,921 Messages
    8,309 Likes Received
    Well just shoot up the closet Major Payne. Terminate that boogie monster with extreme prejudice.

19. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

18,696 Messages
    9,156 Likes Received
    You're lack of knowledge on the subject made it very NOT serious.

Research, prior to lambasting something you know nothing about with condescending, illerate "scenarios".

Derrrrr....I'm a teacher....... seriously?

Check yourself.

20. Reid1boys

Reid1boys Well-Known Member

4,334 Messages
    3,717 Likes Received
    blah, blah, blah. Damn, if its that easy to treat, youd think nobody would have mental illness.