What Does NFL’s $208M Salary Cap Ceiling for 2022 Mean for Cowboys?

MyFairLady

Reaction score
No need to worry. We can field a crappy overpaid team every year as long as we never want to have cap space to build a real team. No worries.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
Huh? You think if Zeke has a really good bounce back year, but not leading league in rushing or MVP type a team won't trade for him? They would get him on a one year $12M deal with no guaranteed money. After that they could go year to year and decide if he is worth $10M and $10M. Those 3 years would be a 3 year $32M deal with no guaranteed money and no dead money and could cut him at any time. If he bounces back he absolutely has value.

No team is gonna trader for Zeke. Got to ask yourself, when was the lasts time Jerry traded away a significant player.....Dallas does not trade players they release players or let them go to FA. AKA: DeMarco Murray, Austin Miles.

Jarntt

Reaction score
No team is gonna trader for Zeke. Got to ask yourself, when was the lasts time Jerry traded away a significant player.....Dallas does not trade players they release players or let them go to FA. AKA: DeMarco Murray, Austin Miles.
That's a different discussion. I'm not saying we will trade him. Even if we wanted to, we have too much dead money tied into Zeke to cut ($36.9) or trade ($14.9M) him right now.

The Zeke contract was a horrible contract for us. Don't misconstrue what I'm saying to mean anything else. I said all along we should let him sit out, but knew Jerry would cave, but he gave him an even worse contract than I assumed. But, there is a huge difference between the way Zeke hits our cap and a new teams cap because of the unallocated bonuses that we are accounting for whether he is here or not. You can't get hung up on how the contract affects us, you need to look just at how it affects a new team. If a new team traded for Zeke this year he only costs them the $9.6M in base salary. Because of the signing and roster bonuses he costs us $13.6M. Huge difference and it continues each year of the contract. The Zeke contract wouldn't be a bad contract at all for a new team if he bounces back and the discussion assumes he bounces back.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Teams can and sometimes do that. Sometimes a team has to get rid of a contract and a player and the team makes the best out of a bad situation. Got to cut one's losses, so to speak.

Yeah, but any team in a "has to get rid of" situation will usually find it hard to come across a trade partner because everyone knows that. Dallas (or any team) has to ditch a bad contract, who's going to line up to help out when they could just wait until he's cut?

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Yeah, but any team in a "has to get rid of" situation will usually find it hard to come across a trade partner because everyone knows that. Dallas (or any team) has to ditch a bad contract, who's going to line up to help out when they could just wait until he's cut?

Rams had to give up a 1st round pick for the Lions to take Goff off their hands and get rid of that atrocious contract. Falcons could only get a late 2nd for Julio because the Falcons would not eat any of his contract. Falcons could have got a 1st round pick if they would have eaten some of Julio's salary. Eagles were able to dump Wentz because the Eagles ate all of his signing bonus and his contract was pretty good going forward for the Colts, roughly $23M per year.

Once the contract becomes reasonable, the trade partners will come.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Bottom line is Dallas cap situation is not as bad as the doom and gloom crowd would have you believe. Fact is we likely will release players as well as resturcture other contracts. A guy like Gallup may still end up being released but all teams are forced to make these moves even if they are above the cap heading into a new season. All teams when signing players will structure the deal for not just the here and now they look towards the future as well knowing which contracts they will intend on restructuring. These team are not flying by the seat of their pants look at the cap from a 1 season point of view they look beyond a single year.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Salary cap situation moving forward is great as long as you like what you have seen on the field lately cause it ain't changing any time soon.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bottom line is Dallas cap situation is not as bad as the doom and gloom crowd would have you believe. Fact is we likely will release players as well as resturcture other contracts. A guy like Gallup may still end up being released but all teams are forced to make these moves even if they are above the cap heading into a new season. All teams when signing players will structure the deal for not just the here and now they look towards the future as well knowing which contracts they will intend on restructuring. These team are not flying by the seat of their pants look at the cap from a 1 season point of view they look beyond a single year.

Bottom line is that the cap will be an issue to be dealt with in 2022. If that’s ‘gloom and doom’, so be it. It doesn’t make it untrue.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Bottom line is that the cap will be an issue to be dealt with in 2022. If that’s ‘gloom and doom’, so be it. It doesn’t make it untrue.

The cap is always an issue, Dallas will be able to not only sign certain FA but continue to go for mid level FA as they have done. We are not in some cap hell or incapable of freeing up money to take care of some of our own. Just as other team manuver around the cap so too will the Cowboys.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
In 2022 who are the big name FA the Cowboys risk? Gallup, LVE and Gregory. Clearly given the WR we have outside of Gallup, Dallas may not outbid another team. LVE again is guys like Parson and Cox perform as people expect LVE could be very well expendable or Jaylon. Leaving us with Gregory who has much to prove

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The cap is always an issue, Dallas will be able to not only sign certain FA but continue to go for mid level FA as they have done. We are not in some cap hell or incapable of freeing up money to take care of some of our own. Just as other team manuver around the cap so too will the Cowboys.

How many are projected to be $20 million over next year’s cap?

Fact is that this team will not only have to make cuts, but lose most, if not all of their 2018 draft class.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In 2022 who are the big name FA the Cowboys risk? Gallup, LVE and Gregory. Clearly given the WR we have outside of Gallup, Dallas may not outbid another team. LVE again is guys like Parson and Cox perform as people expect LVE could be very well expendable or Jaylon. Leaving us with Gregory who has much to prove

This reads like a lot of sugar coating

Doomsday101

Reaction score
How many are projected to be $20 million over next year’s cap?

Fact is that this team will not only have to make cuts, but lose most, if not all of their 2018 draft class.

Yes we will lose players no team out there is heading into a season without losing some FA. I not under the assumption we keep every player we choose. Dallas I highly doubt will invest that much into WR to keep all 3, I very much expect Cooper but more likely Gallup will not be on the team in 2022, that would be a lot of cash invested in 1 position. As for losing entire 2018, some will not be made offers and if so they will be low end offers guys like Armstrong have not do enough for this team to make a big investment. Schultz I think much will depend on how he performs but Cowboys cap situation is not as dire as you seem to think

Doomsday101

Reaction score
This reads like a lot of sugar coating
It is not sugar coating anything, we do not have many big name high priced FA coming due that is fact, Gallup, Gregory and LVE are the likely people who could be up for a big contract be in Dallas or someone else and that is a bit iffy for LVE really depends on how he performs. Same with Gregory. Gallup I would love to keep him but that would be a lot invested at WR when you have Cooper and Lamb already under contracts. You will not keep every FA you have but yes Cowboys will be able to retain some and they will be able to hit the mid level FA. You act as if Dallas is the only team in the NFL under this system when every team faces it and when they do they do let some FA go, and they restructure contracts to free up money to keep other FA and to look outside FA. This is not some hard cap they are dealing with and team will do what they have to do to free up cash.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes we will lose players no team out there is heading into a season without losing some FA. I not under the assumption we keep every player we choose. Dallas I highly doubt will invest that much into WR to keep all 3, I very much expect Cooper but more likely Gallup will not be on the team in 2022, that would be a lot of cash invested in 1 position. As for losing entire 2018, some will not be made offers and if so they will be low end offers guys like Armstrong have not do enough for this team to make a big investment. Schultz I think much will depend on how he performs but Cowboys cap situation is not as dire as you seem to think

It sure is. Your own admission of the players they’re likely to lose shows that. I don’t understand what you’re arguing.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is not sugar coating anything, we do not have many big name high priced FA coming due that is fact, Gallup, Gregory and LVE are the likely people who could be up for a big contract be in Dallas or someone else and that is a bit iffy for LVE really depends on how he performs. Same with Gregory. Gallup I would love to keep him but that would be a lot invested at WR when you have Cooper and Lamb already under contracts. You will not keep every FA you have but yes Cowboys will be able to retain some and they will be able to hit the mid level FA. You act as if Dallas is the only team in the NFL under this system when every team faces it and when they do they do let some FA go, and they restructure contracts to free up money to keep other FA and to look outside FA. This is not some hard cap they are dealing with and team will do what they have to do to free up cash.

They’re the team I CARE about. And they have cap issues and are set to lose several players.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It sure is. Your own admission of the players they’re likely to lose shows that. I don’t understand what you’re arguing.

Dallas lost FA players prior to Dak contract, Cowboys likely will not sink more money in at WR with Cooper making what he does and Lamb being a #1 the overall investment at WR would be too great. Fact is every team will lose FA. If Cowboys were deadset on signing Gallup they could but again seriously doubt they would have that much invested at 1 position (WR)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
They’re the team I CARE about. And they have cap issues and are set to lose several players.

I care as well but they operate in the same system as 31 other teams and they handle the cap as 31 others do. Owners and GM know this when they sign players to these big contracts that they will use those same contract to free up money. Fans do not have to agree with it but it is how they all deal with the NFL salary cap.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas lost FA players prior to Dak contract, Cowboys likely will not sink more money in at WR with Cooper making what he does and Lamb being a #1 the overall investment at WR would be too great. Fact is every team will lose FA. If Cowboys were deadset on signing Gallup they could but again seriously doubt they would have that much invested at 1 position (WR)

I’ve said before that I don’t expect them to keep even two. Cooper’s contract is one of the biggest savings options that they have and they can’t afford what Gallup should get on the free agent market.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I care as well but they operate in the same system as 31 other teams and they handle the cap as 31 others do. Owners and GM know this when they sign players to these big contracts that they will use those same contract to free up money. Fans do not have to agree with it but it is how they all deal with the NFL salary cap.

Sure, when they CAN. But they’ve already reworked several big money contracts, kicking that can down the road. It’s a big part of how they got here. There aren’t a whole lot of options left, save for Dak’s contract. And they need to heed past lessons about getting locked into deals. That’s my position anyway.