What Does NFL’s $208M Salary Cap Ceiling for 2022 Mean for Cowboys?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I’ve said before that I don’t expect them to keep even two. Cooper’s contract is one of the biggest savings options that they have and they can’t afford what Gallup should get on the free agent market.

If the release Cooper then I firmly believe that Gallup will be signed they will not lose both and yes Cowboys would be capable of it. As for Cooper yes his contract is big and that contract and easily be restructured. You may not think they should do it and I can respect that view but they very well can free up cash against the cap off of Cooper deal and I have no doubt that was the mindset when they signed to that deal

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Sure, when they CAN. But they’ve already reworked several big money contracts, kicking that can down the road. It’s a big part of how they got here. There aren’t a whole lot of options left, save for Dak’s contract. And they need to heed past lessons about getting locked into deals. That’s my position anyway.

They have managed these contracts you may disagree with it and that is fine but they have the ability to do these restructure again like 31 other teams do, we are not special in terms of how the NFL salary cap works and what teams must do to work within it. Dallas is not going to just cut every player who comes up for FA, they are not realsing 2 of the 3 top WR they have because it makes no sense what so ever. Dak contract itself will likely be restuctured. I think too many act as if Dak deal was nail in the coffin that is a load of BS

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the release Cooper then I firmly believe that Gallup will be signed they will not lose both and yes Cowboys would be capable of it. As for Cooper yes his contract is big and that contract and easily be restructured. You may not think they should do it and I can respect that view but they very well can free up cash against the cap off of Cooper deal and I have no doubt that was the mindset when they signed to that deal

Thanks for respecting my views, I appreciate that. My belief is that Cooper’s deal was specifically structured this way so that they could get out without too much pain if they needed or wanted to.

And I think they will.

I think Lamb is the last of the big three after this season.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They have managed these contracts you may disagree with it and that is fine but they have the ability to do these restructure again like 31 other teams do, we are not special in terms of how the NFL salary cap works and what teams must do to work within it. Dallas is not going to just cut every player who comes up for FA, they are not realsing 2 of the 3 top WR they have because it makes no sense what so ever. Dak contract itself will likely be restuctured. I think too many act as if Dak deal was nail in the coffin that is a load of BS

I’m not saying that about the Dak deal at all. I’m just looking at the realities of next year’s cap.

jnday

Reaction score
Bottom line is that the cap will be an issue to be dealt with in 2022. If that’s ‘gloom and doom’, so be it. It doesn’t make it untrue.
You always have those fans that claim that cap is not a factor at all and it can be manipulated so easily that it does not keep from signing any players or handing out new contracts to players on the team. Stephen is making statements that if two players are close to being equal, the cheaper player will be kept for cap reasons. Dallas does not have the cap room to even attempt signing big money free agents, not that they ever pan out, but Dallas hasn’t been able to afford the medium priced free agents that could and would fill in the holes on the roster. These fans can minimize the effect that the cap has on the team, but when Stephen quickly rules out signing free agents that could help the team and gives the reason as being lack of salary cap room, I tend to believe him. Smart teams use free agency to sign these mid-tier free agents as a big part of successful team building. Dallas doesn’t have that option the last couple of years and it hurts. They have resorted to signing low-end free agents that often times can’t even make the team. All of them have minimum talent, are at the end of their careers or they are coming off of serious injuries. Investing in your own players is a good thing, but Dallas has handed out too many big contracts that players have not played up to and it has all but eliminated signing quality free agents to fill holes on the team.

jnday

Reaction score
Restructuring those contracts puts the team in a position where they are still paying big money to players that are towards the end of their careers and they are not worth the money at that point of their careers. Restructuring can be useful, but personally, I had rather see them stay ahead of the salary cap and pay as they go. I know the advantages of restructuring, but Dallas has too many big contracts to keep pushing them down the road. This is just my opinion of course and it is the way that I conduct my personal finances. I hope that Dallas moves on from Cooper and his contract. Gallup is a very good number two WR and Lamb is emerging as a very good number one. Cheaper WRs will be better options for slot WRs.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You always have those fans that claim that cap is not a factor at all and it can be manipulated so easily that it does not keep from signing any players or handing out new contracts to players on the team. Stephen is making statements that if two players are close to being equal, the cheaper player will be kept for cap reasons. Dallas does not have the cap room to even attempt signing big money free agents, not that they ever pan out, but Dallas hasn’t been able to afford the medium priced free agents that could and would fill in the holes on the roster. These fans can minimize the effect that the cap has on the team, but when Stephen quickly rules out signing free agents that could help the team and gives the reason as being lack of salary cap room, I tend to believe him. Smart teams use free agency to sign these mid-tier free agents as a big part of successful team building. Dallas doesn’t have that option the last couple of years and it hurts. They have resorted to signing low-end free agents that often times can’t even make the team. All of them have minimum talent, are at the end of their careers or they are coming off of serious injuries. Investing in your own players is a good thing, but Dallas has handed out too many big contracts that players have not played up to and it has all but eliminated signing quality free agents to fill holes on the team.

I agree wholeheartedly. While the Cowboys have had several good draft picks, they’ve had some huge misses as well. But they’ve focused on ‘keeping their own at all costs’ a bit too much. To the point of several contracts I would consider mistakes. Crawford obviously, Jaylon Smith, and at this point, Ezekiel Elliott. Jury is out on a few others.

But they haven’t - and frankly can’t - sign any free agents of note. They haven’t for years either. But then again, most outside free agent choices have been terrible anyway.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Restructuring those contracts puts the team in a position where they are still paying big money to players that are towards the end of their careers and they are not worth the money at that point of their careers. Restructuring can be useful, but personally, I had rather see them stay ahead of the salary cap and pay as they go. I know the advantages of restructuring, but Dallas has too many big contracts to keep pushing them down the road. This is just my opinion of course and it is the way that I conduct my personal finances.

Look at the Crawford deal. They redid that immediately and ended up stuck paying big money to a mediocre player. For years!

Now they’re on the hook for the Lawrence and Elliott deals. And hoping that it works out. Along with the offensive line deals. All quickly restructured, sticking the team in the deal no matter what.

jnday

Reaction score
No team is gonna trader for Zeke. Got to ask yourself, when was the lasts time Jerry traded away a significant player.....Dallas does not trade players they release players or let them go to FA. AKA: DeMarco Murray, Austin Miles.
Even Romo could have been traded to the Texans who expressed interest at the time but Jerry publicly said that he would be released and that dashed all hopes of getting something in a trade. Maybe Cooper could draw interest from teams , but I am sure that Dallas will release him instead of listening to trade offers when the time comes.

jnday

Reaction score
Look at the Crawford deal. They redid that immediately and ended up stuck paying big money to a mediocre player. For years!

Now they’re on the hook for the Lawrence and Elliott deals. And hoping that it works out. Along with the offensive line deals. All quickly restructured, sticking the team in the deal no matter what.
Crawford is a great example. Zeke and Lawrence will be in the same situation. Neither have lived up to their contracts and the team never should put themselves in the position to still be paying them big money years down the road when that money should be used in young players in their prime.

jnday

Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly. While the Cowboys have had several good draft picks, they’ve had some huge misses as well. But they’ve focused on ‘keeping their own at all costs’ a bit too much. To the point of several contracts I would consider mistakes. Crawford obviously, Jaylon Smith, and at this point, Ezekiel Elliott. Jury is out on a few others.

But they haven’t - and frankly can’t - sign any free agents of note. They haven’t for years either. But then again, most outside free agent choices have been terrible anyway.
I agree that going after the big free agents rarely pays off and the team ends up regretting it. KJ Wright is the type of free agent that I think would be a much better option. I am just using him as an example, but he would not have required a big money deal and he could have been a big upgrade for the defense. Drafting Parsons filled the hole in defense, but signing him could have give the team more options for that first round pick. I have noticed that most Super Bowl winners usually have a few of these mid-tier free agents that are big contributors and are a big part of putting the team in the Super Bowl.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree that going after the big free agents rarely pays off and the team ends up regretting it. KJ Wright is the type of free agent that I think would be a much better option. I am just using him as an example, but he would not have required a big money deal and he could have been a big upgrade for the defense. Drafting Parsons filled the hole in defense, but signing him could have give the team more options for that first round pick. I have noticed that most Super Bowl winners usually have a few of these mid-tier free agents that are big contributors and are a big part of putting the team in the Super Bowl.

Absolutely. The truly successful teams don’t do either free agency or the draft well, they do both well.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I’m not saying that about the Dak deal at all. I’m just looking at the realities of next year’s cap.

The realities is we have some deals that can and will be restructued.
Restructuring those contracts puts the team in a position where they are still paying big money to players that are towards the end of their careers and they are not worth the money at that point of their careers. Restructuring can be useful, but personally, I had rather see them stay ahead of the salary cap and pay as they go. I know the advantages of restructuring, but Dallas has too many big contracts to keep pushing them down the road. This is just my opinion of course and it is the way that I conduct my personal finances. I hope that Dallas moves on from Cooper and his contract. Gallup is a very good number two WR and Lamb is emerging as a very good number one. Cheaper WRs will be better options for slot WRs.

I never have said restructure all contracts but there are a number of contract that when they were done is with the intent of being able to go back and restructure not just the Cowboys. At least you have Dallas keeping Gallup and Lamb instead of losing both starting WR. We may differ to an extent but unless Dallas plans on just signing rookies to 4 year cheap deals then let them go it will require restructuring of contracts. The way Dak contract is setup yes it will likely be restructured, If they choose to keep Cooper which I hope they do his deal is setup to be restructured. Myself I like Cooper a bit more he is Dak go to guy and the only WR on the team who has real speed, I think it is easier to find that #2 or #3 than it is to find that #1 WR. Not trying to knock Gallup I would love nothing more than to keep him but I doubt he will be here next season.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Thats easy to say, but harder to do.

What specific contracts did you have in mind?

Right now I would let the season play out and see how DLaw plays within this defense, I would look to see how Cooper and the other WR produce and to lesser extent Zeke and lastly Dak contract as well but much will depend on what these players do and also how younger players develop.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Right now I would let the season play out and see how DLaw plays within this defense, I would look to see how Cooper and the other WR produce and to lesser extent Zeke and lastly Dak contract as well but much will depend on what these players do and also how younger players develop.

No offense intended, but it looks like you haven’t really looked at the structures of the contracts you’re mentioning restructuring. Future costs in them are already sky-high even before pushing money down the road. This is what I’ve been talking about.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
It means we have wasted a lot of breath arguing over salary cap stuff because it is going to shoot back up insanely high, fast.
The fact they are talking caps and not floors is all you need to know.

Dallas i in the same spot they've been the past 10 years, they aren't chasing big name free agents but can keep their own if they desire to.
The one thing Stephen Jones is good at is managing a tight cap because he is the cheapest cap guy in the friggin league.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
No offense intended, but it looks like you haven’t really looked at the structures of the contracts you’re mentioning restructuring. Future costs in them are already sky-high even before pushing money down the road. This is what I’ve been talking about.
That has never mattered less in the history of the NFL's salary cap than it does now.
The cap increases coming are astronomical.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

I have looked at them, again I know you would not do it that is fine. In the end Cowboys will restructure certain deals may not the ones I mentioned but it will be done, they are not just going to release all players who are FA in 2022, not going to happen