What Does NFL’s $208M Salary Cap Ceiling for 2022 Mean for Cowboys?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have looked at them, again I know you would not do it that is fine. In the end Cowboys will restructure certain deals may not the ones I mentioned but it will be done, they are not just going to release all players who are FA in 2022, not going to happen

So it ‘just will’ then? Got it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
So it ‘just will’ then? Got it.

Writers of the article pretty spelled it out, again you don't have to like it and you don't have to agree with it, but they are right this team is not in doom and gloom cap hell and there are many ways to get under the cap and be active in FA.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Writers of the article pretty spelled it out, again you don't have to like it and you don't have to agree with it, but they are right this team is not in doom and gloom cap hell and there are many ways to get under the cap and be active in FA.

The writer just made some claims and typed some words. He never gave the support for those claims. If you want to simply take him at his word, that’s your prerogative.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The writer just made some claims and typed some words. He never gave the support for those claims. If you want to simply take him at his word, that’s your prerogative.

and if you feel this is a doom and gloom and Dallas will just cut FA players at the end of the year that is your prerogative. No way do I see them just letting all FA go, both starting WR? No it is not going to happen. That would be more than stupid to let 2 out of your starting 3 WR leave. We have Lamb that is it? BS

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
and if you feel this is a doom and gloom and Dallas will just cut FA players at the end of the year that is your prerogative.

First, teams don’t “cut FA players”.

No way do I see them just letting all FA go, both starting WR? No it is not going to happen. That would be more than stupid to let 2 out of your starting 3 WR leave. We have Lamb that is it? BS

No “more stupid” than paying big money to not ONE, not TWO, but THREE receivers, especially given what they’re paying to the rest of their offense.

And like I’ve said before, we’ll see what happens. You don’t need to get worked up about what may or may not happen in the future.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Where’s the proof of this?
uh. math.

they are signing new TV deals that are historically high.
they have added a 17th game for TV and gates.
they added playoff teams.

the 208m cap is about paying owners back for 2020.. so when that ceiling is lifted it will be katie bar the door.
https://saintswire.usatoday.com/2021/03/18/saints-salary-cap-update-nfl-tv-news/

the owners negotiated that ceiling because the real number is expected to be about 240M. Each owner basically pockets 1M.
My best guess today is you see 208M in 2022 rise to 250M in in 2023 and it will be 300M by 2025 for sure.
While those numbers are just semi-educated guesses, what is not even debate-able is that the increases will be large and swift by year going forward.

--assuming COVID was a one-time a lifetime pandemic

Doomsday101

Reaction score
First, teams don’t “cut FA players”.

No “more stupid” than paying big money to not ONE, not TWO, but THREE receivers, especially given what they’re paying to the rest of their offense.

And like I’ve said before, we’ll see what happens. You don’t need to get worked up about what may or may not happen in the future.

Not worked up, at least no more than yourself. Just discussing this particular situation. We clearly disagree and I'm good with that. Not the 1st time we have not seen eye to eye.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
uh. math.

they are signing new TV deals that are historically high.
they have added a 17th game for TV and gates.
they added playoff teams.

the 208m cap is about paying owners back for 2020.. so when that ceiling is lifted it will be katie bar the door.
https://saintswire.usatoday.com/2021/03/18/saints-salary-cap-update-nfl-tv-news/

the owners negotiated that ceiling because the real number is expected to be about 240M. Each owner basically pockets 1M.
My best guess today is you see 208M in 2022 rise to 250M in in 2023 and it will be 300M by 2025 for sure.
While those numbers are just semi-educated guesses, what is not even debate-able is that the increases will be large and swift by year going forward.

--assuming COVID was a one-time a lifetime pandemic

I hope you’re right. The numbers you’re suggesting would change things entirely. If the Cowboys can be assured of those numbers, they can push quite a bit of costs forward.