What does this defense need to be elite?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
All the defense needs to become "elite" is to have the consistency to play well vs. the better NFL teams. They're getting there. :grin:
It's encouraging that we're on the right track to acquire the appropriate talent to get to such a demanding level of performance. :flagwave:

Last edited:

quickccc

Reaction score
It used to seem like we were just one or two players from having an elite offense. Now, I feel like we can say that about our defense. It's already looking very good, but what do we need to take it over the top?

Here's my opinion:

1) Left cornerback. Anthony Brown has played about as well as he can, but if we can find a high-caliber starting corner to pair with Diggs, it'll be tough for QBs to figure who to attack. The good news is that we might already have that player in Joseph.

2) Interior defensive lineman on the same level as Lawrence and Gregory. I think we've got some decent young tackles in Gallimore and Odighizuwa, but we don't have that disruptor that teams have to scheme against. Maybe the young guys can develop into that kind of player, but it's not a given.

3) Ball-hawking free safety. While we could have the first two positions mentioned already on this team, our options are more limited at FS. Mukuamu is really our only hope there, and it's a big ask for him to become that player. I'm not down on Kazee and Hooker and would like to have at least one return, but any upgrade we'll probably have to come through the draft.

4) Second linebacker to pair with Parsons. LVE hasn't turned into what we hoped when we drafted him. He's most likely gone next year. Maybe Jabril Cox can replace him, but he seems more like a replacement for Neal based on his skill set. If we had a run-destroying linebacker who could cover to line up with Parsons, we'd be very solid in the middle.

Because we have Joseph, I think our focus defensively next year needs to be on those other three positions. What we have this year is more than many of us expected, and maybe with a few more additions, we can get back to Doomsday.

Thanks for Sharing .....

as excitng as it seems to have a volcanic pass rush and leading NFL in turnovers and INTs, there's missing parts and inconsistencies about this defense that keeps it from being in
Elite status, imo.

1) vs QBs For one i cannot measure this defense based off scrub QBs .. such as the like of Heineke, Mike Glennon, ... what happens when we face the more Quaility QBs such as we will the deeper we get into the playoffs - ala Rodgers, Brady and Murray

2) vs run defense Also i'm still not convince about this run defense - which gave up 124 rushing yds to NYG. then there's Denver and before hand NE Pats

3) Too many big plays Still too many big plays surrendered - the better the QB play, the more broken big plays i believe,

-Saints managed to do a remarkable feat that i thought i'd never see under a Tom Brady offense - complete Shut Out - - - Zero points
Could our own Defense do the very same should we rematch the Bucs in playoffs ?

Beaker42

Reaction score
It used to seem like we were just one or two players from having an elite offense. Now, I feel like we can say that about our defense. It's already looking very good, but what do we need to take it over the top?

Here's my opinion:

1) Left cornerback. Anthony Brown has played about as well as he can, but if we can find a high-caliber starting corner to pair with Diggs, it'll be tough for QBs to figure who to attack. The good news is that we might already have that player in Joseph.

2) Interior defensive lineman on the same level as Lawrence and Gregory. I think we've got some decent young tackles in Gallimore and Odighizuwa, but we don't have that disruptor that teams have to scheme against. Maybe the young guys can develop into that kind of player, but it's not a given.

3) Ball-hawking free safety. While we could have the first two positions mentioned already on this team, our options are more limited at FS. Mukuamu is really our only hope there, and it's a big ask for him to become that player. I'm not down on Kazee and Hooker and would like to have at least one return, but any upgrade we'll probably have to come through the draft.

4) Second linebacker to pair with Parsons. LVE hasn't turned into what we hoped when we drafted him. He's most likely gone next year. Maybe Jabril Cox can replace him, but he seems more like a replacement for Neal based on his skill set. If we had a run-destroying linebacker who could cover to line up with Parsons, we'd be very solid in the middle.

Because we have Joseph, I think our focus defensively next year needs to be on those other three positions. What we have this year is more than many of us expected, and maybe with a few more additions, we can get back to Doomsday.
CB, LB and DT in that order then BPA after that.

Reaction score
They need an offense that drives the length of the field and scores touchdowns. No three and outs. That alone will put this defense in a great position.

CCBoy

Reaction score

Here's my opinion:

I'm still licking my fan chops for pair of Dallas linebackers to pair up as with the Giants and Lawrence Taylor and Carl Banks. A linebacker and defensive tackle would be very nice additions indeed.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Our defense has looked very good against some not-so-great offenses. Not sure it is elite. I do think we'll learn a lot about it against Arizona, but even more so if we face teams like the Packers and Rams. I don't think this defense is quite comparable abilitywise to the Ravens and Bears Super Bowl defenses or even our 1990s defenses. Those defenses could shut down even the best offenses.
Yes been saying this, even arizona may not be a good test, they have gone downhill, heck they may not make the playoffs!
The eagles are a capable but sloppy poorly coached team.

I think the only good teams in NFC this year are TB,GB,Rams,Dallas, and thats it, pretty weak this year.
Similar in afc only about 4 good teams, and even those have been lame at times.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

Here's my opinion:

Respect the post, but not sure as fans we see another defense better than what we have now for a very long time.
Its going to be a cap challenge just to keep the talent we have currently, so drafting brilliantly and believing in what McClay has to say is going to be vital.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
All the defense needs to become "elite" is to have the consistency to play well vs. the better NFL teams. They're getting there. :grin:
It's encouraging that we're on the right track to acquire the appropriate talent to get to such a demanding level of performance. :flagwave:
If Joseph develops at light speed, and can elevate this already impressive secondary, and we roll into the post season with the ability to play matchup starters that can be deployed when needed vs the Cooper Cupps, Devonte Adams, Mike Evans of the NFC,, then I believe we are already looking at an "elite" defense, at least the best we are going to see for a very long time.
Going to be extremely difficult to keep this together, so Im just enjoying this very special group we have right now this season...
Lets go win this 6th ring now, and worry about next season next season.

Macnalty

Reaction score

Here's my opinion:

Just the same offense that showed up on sunday evening against the WFT and lack of covid/injuries. my two cents

MichiganCowboyFan

Reaction score

Here's my opinion:

1. Joseph
2. Gallimore/Odighizuwa + smaller fa signings
3. Hooker (Kazee is overplayed and just stinks)
4. Cox

The Realist

Reaction score
Given what we already have I would say the piece that make us elite would be.

1) Elite penetrating/pass rushing 3T (8 sack guy).

2) High round pass rushing DE with little drop off from DLaw/Gregory.

3) LB with rare pass rush ability (think Devin Lloyd Utah).

Redline360

Reaction score
I'm all for the defense side of the ball and we are light years ahead of last year but let's tap the breaks now on this elite defense thing. We have played a pretty creampuff schedule lately.

We probably won't see the first true test of the defense until the first playoff game or unless Arizona pulls its head out of its *** offensively.

It will all stem to if we can get pressure or not. No pressure the rest of the defense struggles naturally.

fivetwos

Reaction score
For another day, but I wonder if we are still able to actually build on what's here or if we are already at the point of having to use the draft and FA to fill gaps from lost players.

Aside from the quite obvious (Parsons), the depth on defense is what got us to this point.

As one example....we were losing safeties and were still able to send two pretty good ones out there.

Been a while for that.

mardwin

Reaction score
Better linebacker play besides #11 and a FS that plays the ball in the air

glimmerman

Reaction score
Other than the 4 PI calls on Thanksgiving. A few were really ticky tack. Brown is ok. He gets thrown at a lot. I have seen him drop ALOT of sure ints. If he starts catching those it will help a lot..