CFZ What Does This Team Really Want from the Players It Pays Big?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
In a lot of ways, I like the move of not paying Zack Martin any more than his contract is worth. He wanted that contract; he got it. Why renegotiate the deal? Play it out, then score another contract. Plus how much have we heard about Zack Martin's workout plan and how hard he's been training. The same ole same ole, every year. He's one of those guys Broadudus talks about who come in looking the same every year.

Meanwhile, like it or not, we have a player like Diggs, who is still very young, and still playing lights out, playing big, more or less, until I guess it came to really big. I was making excuses for Diggs last year, and I hope this offseason he bulks up and comes in ready and prepared to lay some wood. High rep workouts can keep you lean and strong, and Diggs should be hitting it like Parsons, and I suspect he is...
I
Anyway, this whole holding out thing isn't going to sit well, and was ill-timed by Martin. I respect his game,but he couldn't have timed it any worse than this.
That said, there's a bigger overall picture here. The Cowboys are outwardly resistant to paying him any more than this contract, and they apparently realize the future lies ahead. And then there's Martin, well like Zeke, at 32-years old, and aging, like the rest of us, and you just kinda squirm even though he's a big part of our game, because he isn't as good as he once was.. Just still good, and plays his role well Do the Cowboys dare disrespect a guy with so many Pro Bowls? One who they know is aging?

The Pro Bowl is a measure of popularity. If you look at the stat sheets, I wouldn't say Martin was close to being the best guard in the league last year, overall.

I guess we'll see. I'm a fan who never gets in any other players' pockets, rarely, if ever do I comment on those thread. But this throws it in my face, and now I have to consider it

Since the topic of scarcity has come up, I'd rather give that money to the older players who still come in and dominate at times, like Dlaw, and the younger guys, Parsons, Diggs, etc.

That's your triplets on this team. And then there's CeeDee Lamb and Pollard on offense. Plus Dak, Gallup and now Cooks! Without those three, there's no backbone, and i'm no cap expert so I don't really care to understand how it all works, in detail, plus I realize it can be offeset and so on, but back to the topic, I guess what I'm saying is that they know there's a youth movement coming on, and they want to secure their players.

You can't pay someone for their popularity. That's all the Pro-Bowl really is. Martin needs to get that through his head, and play. Or I think the Cowboys walk away from that one well within their tight to do so for the betterment of the team. Martin is still good. But he's not worth more than what he's already making.

How can you not be happy with $86,000,000?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Martin is the best player on offense. And is a top 3 (or better) player at his position in the NFL. Wants to be paid similar to his peers around the league in the short time he has left. Nothing wrong with that. What he means to the Cowboys on and off the field is priceless.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Martin is the best player on offense. And is a top 3 (or better) player at his position in the NFL. Wants to be paid similar to his peers around the league in the short time he has left. Nothing wrong with that. What he means to the Cowboys on and off the field is priceless.
I don't agree with Martin being top 3, but he signed a contract. now that the market has moved he is unhappy. that's on him and his agent, not to negotiate a contract at the time to account for the market moving. his contract is still second highest contract for his position in the league.

and its not about value of a position to success of a team. Martin is a guard. great guard no doubt, but a guard. no one says, we have to have the best guard or top 3 guard to make it to the superbowl. no one knows the name of the guards on KC or Eagles, SF or Cinci team, but people remember the LT, or the RT. more important position to an offense.

I love martin, but if he decides to move on, we go get another guard. perhaps not pay top dollars, like top 3 players, but a top 10 type. perhaps having and paying two top 10 guards is a better option, than lowly ranked guard and a top 3 guard.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't agree with Martin being top 3, but he signed a contract. now that the market has moved he is unhappy. that's on him and his agent, not to negotiate a contract at the time to account for the market moving. his contract is still second highest contract for his position in the league.

and its not about value of a position to success of a team. Martin is a guard. great guard no doubt, but a guard. no one says, we have to have the best guard or top 3 guard to make it to the superbowl. no one knows the name of the guards on KC or Eagles, SF or Cinci team, but people remember the LT, or the RT. more important position to an offense.

I love martin, but if he decides to move on, we go get another guard. perhaps not pay top dollars, like top 3 players, but a top 10 type. perhaps having and paying two top 10 guards is a better option, than lowly ranked guard and a top 3 guard.
I'm a huge Martin fan, but I'm also a huge fan of being a man and honoring the contract that was signed.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

He's also a right guard....Martin is a premium player at a position that isn't premium. All this talk about "he's our best player"...he's a RIGHT GUARD lol.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
If this was NE, I think Prescott, Lamb and Diggs would all be on the trade blocks. And Gallup and Pollard would be gone. The team would have all sorts of shiny new pieces heading into the season. But what they have is a broken part time RB and an overrated overpaid #3 WR.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm a huge Martin fan, but I'm also a huge fan of being a man and honoring the contract that was signed.
That will not happen until the owners honor the contracts they sign.

Contracts are negotiated and executed as temporary binding agreements. Neither side expects more than what is guaranteed in the contract.

The players have two levels of comp comparison. Their position comp throughout the league and their player comp within the team. Martin's is out of line with the former and he knows deals are coming for Diggs, Lamb, Parsons and his QB. Get the money while it's there.

And we are talking about one of the 5 best Cowboys of all time who started his career as the first All Pro OL rookie since 1947. And he is still the anchor of that OL and that offense.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The idea that guards aren't premium is totally expired. Interior pressure kills teams, almost more than edge pressure does.
It's not expired. The contenders typically don't spend big resources on right guard. 49ers, Eagles, Bengals.....it's far easier to find a guard than it is tackle. I'm not insinuating we don't need Martin....I'm just saying I'd rather have to find Martin's replacement than I would a premium tackle.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
It's not expired. The contenders typically don't spend big resources on right guard. 49ers, Eagles, Bengals.....it's far easier to find a guard than it is tackle. I'm not insinuating we don't need Martin....I'm just saying I'd rather have to find Martin's replacement than I would a premium tackle.
Pretty convenient to leave off the Chiefs and ignore the fact that the Bengals' achilles heel has been OL play.

A premium tackle next to a crappy guard gives you worse problems than a premium guard next to a crappy tackle. We just saw this in 2020. It's probably easier to find a guard, but that doesn't mean the position is less important.

The idea that you can get away with poor guard play is 100% an expired line of thinking.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Pretty convenient to leave off the Chiefs and ignore the fact that the Bengals' achilles heel has been OL play.

A premium tackle next to a crappy guard gives you worse problems than a premium guard next to a crappy tackle. We just saw this in 2020. It's probably easier to find a guard, but that doesn't mean the position is less important.

The idea that you can get away with poor guard play is 100% an expired line of thinking.
Agreed....you can typically find Gs easier that outside players to fill in, but having a pair of Gs that can run block and pass protect and increasingly valuable in the league as interior players are becoming more dominant. It seems like every week you're going up against a Vea/Donald/Hargrave/Payne etc.... especially in this division where all three opponents are pretty well stocked at the DT position. Obviously there is a limit on what you give into with Martin at age 33, but he's probably the one guy this team can't afford to lose for significant time. I'd rather lose lamb on the offense than Martin, especially given the other health issues on the OL