CFZ What Does This Team Really Want from the Players It Pays Big?

Toro9

Reaction score
To dominate. That's always the plan. Zack Martin dominates. If there is a player on this roster who deserves to get paid a little more, it's Martin. He has the skills and technique to play until he's 40.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Meh these clowns never win anything before they get paid why in the world would we expect success after they get paid. Without fail everyone who gets the big fat guaranteed retirement package is worse after.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
To dominate. That's always the plan. Zack Martin dominates. If there is a player on this roster who deserves to get paid a little more, it's Martin. He has the skills and technique to play until he's 40.
LOL play until he is 40 ypu must be an agent. He will count for millions against the cap until he is 40 that is about it.

Toro9

Reaction score
LOL play until he is 40 ypu must be an agent. He will count for millions against the cap until he is 40 that is about it.
I think we signed a guy last year who was 40.. do you recall?

Sydla

Reaction score
In a lot of ways, I like the move of not paying Zack Martin any more than his contract is worth. He wanted that contract; he got it. Why renegotiate the deal? Play it out, then score another contract. Plus how much have we heard about Zack Martin's workout plan and how hard he's been training. The same ole same ole, every year. He's one of those guys Broadudus talks about who come in looking the same every year.

Meanwhile, like it or not, we have a player like Diggs, who is still very young, and still playing lights out, playing big, more or less, until I guess it came to really big. I was making excuses for Diggs last year, and I hope this offseason he bulks up and comes in ready and prepared to lay some wood. High rep workouts can keep you lean and strong, and Diggs should be hitting it like Parsons, and I suspect he is...
I
Anyway, this whole holding out thing isn't going to sit well, and was ill-timed by Martin. I respect his game,but he couldn't have timed it any worse than this.
That said, there's a bigger overall picture here. The Cowboys are outwardly resistant to paying him any more than this contract, and they apparently realize the future lies ahead. And then there's Martin, well like Zeke, at 32-years old, and aging, like the rest of us, and you just kinda squirm even though he's a big part of our game, because he isn't as good as he once was.. Just still good, and plays his role well Do the Cowboys dare disrespect a guy with so many Pro Bowls? One who they know is aging?

The Pro Bowl is a measure of popularity. If you look at the stat sheets, I wouldn't say Martin was close to being the best guard in the league last year, overall.

I guess we'll see. I'm a fan who never gets in any other players' pockets, rarely, if ever do I comment on those thread. But this throws it in my face, and now I have to consider it

Since the topic of scarcity has come up, I'd rather give that money to the older players who still come in and dominate at times, like Dlaw, and the younger guys, Parsons, Diggs, etc.

That's your triplets on this team. And then there's CeeDee Lamb and Pollard on offense. Plus Dak, Gallup and now Cooks! Without those three, there's no backbone, and i'm no cap expert so I don't really care to understand how it all works, in detail, plus I realize it can be offeset and so on, but back to the topic, I guess what I'm saying is that they know there's a youth movement coming on, and they want to secure their players.

You can't pay someone for their popularity. That's all the Pro-Bowl really is. Martin needs to get that through his head, and play. Or I think the Cowboys walk away from that one well within their tight to do so for the betterment of the team. Martin is still good. But he's not worth more than what he's already making.

How can you not be happy with $86,000,000?
I am not sure where to begino with this.

1) For starters we have not heard from Martin or his camp. This was all a report based on what insiders in Dallas are saying. So people throwing crap at Martin for holding out is a reach at this point because we have no idea if he's going to hold or even intends to hold out.

2) Not sure why you continually mention Pro Bowl. Martin was a firs team ALL PRO last year (his 6th). It's voted on by media, etc. So to say he wasn't close to being the best guard in the league last year is weird. He was voted

3) Imagine saying you'd rather give money to older players who come in and still dominate at times, list Lawrence, but then not list Martin. Again, he was 1st team All Pro last year.

4) Martin has no guaranteed money and only one year left on his deal. It's really not all that surprising or uncommon for a player of his stature to look for a new deal at this time.

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't agree with Martin being top 3, but he signed a contract. now that the market has moved he is unhappy. that's on him and his agent, not to negotiate a contract at the time to account for the market moving. his contract is still second highest contract for his position in the league.

and its not about value of a position to success of a team. Martin is a guard. great guard no doubt, but a guard. no one says, we have to have the best guard or top 3 guard to make it to the superbowl. no one knows the name of the guards on KC or Eagles, SF or Cinci team, but people remember the LT, or the RT. more important position to an offense.

I love martin, but if he decides to move on, we go get another guard. perhaps not pay top dollars, like top 3 players, but a top 10 type. perhaps having and paying two top 10 guards is a better option, than lowly ranked guard and a top 3 guard.
He's not a Top 3 OG?

Plus, you are absolutely downplaying the importance of OGs and what teams think of them. The Eagles? Both their OGs were recent 2nd round picks, so that's a pretty big investment in the position. Aaron Banks of the 49ers was also a 2nd round pick.

Sydla

Reaction score
You'd rather lose Lamb than Martin? Yeah I don't know about that one lol. Without Lamb who's our #1? Gallup? Cooks? Yikes.
I think his point is there is more at WR to try to overcome an injury to Lamb than there is at OG if Martin goes down. There's not much at OG beyond Martin if he gets hurt. That's not a slight on Lamb, it's just the reality that WR has more depth than OG does.

Sydla

Reaction score
Thuney is not their right guard. Trey Smith is who they drafter in the 6th round and immediately started as a rookie since 2021.

And that is not what I implied lol. Running back isn't a premium position either but that doesn't mean I want Troy Hambrick back there lol. The Objective is to have as many good players as you possibly can. You're as strong as your weakest. So no, I'd never advocate on settling for a Nate Livings or a Mackenzie Bernadeaux. My point is Martin is a premium player at a position that isn't considered premium. It comes after even RB. You have to be mindful of where you spend your money especially on 33 year old players and what positions.
You are already paying him $13MM next year. So why not guarantee that, add on a couple more years and be done with it? Give him a small signing bonus for more cash next year and really, it's not some cap crushing contract.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
If this was NE, I think Prescott, Lamb and Diggs would all be on the trade blocks. And Gallup and Pollard would be gone. The team would have all sorts of shiny new pieces heading into the season. But what they have is a broken part time RB and an overrated overpaid #3 WR.
Yes, and without Tom Brady, you see what happens. NE has been very mediocre without him elevating the team. Not sure why Lamb is included in your post. What has he done to warrant that? Just because he has a contract coming due? So Pollard is a scrub? And Gallup now in his second year post knee injury is going to suck? Diggs is the one that should be on the trade block. He gives up as much as he gets and won't tackle. Definitely not worth elite money.

kskboys

Reaction score
That will not happen until the owners honor the contracts they sign.

Contracts are negotiated and executed as temporary binding agreements. Neither side expects more than what is guaranteed in the contract.

The players have two levels of comp comparison. Their position comp throughout the league and their player comp within the team. Martin's is out of line with the former and he knows deals are coming for Diggs, Lamb, Parsons and his QB. Get the money while it's there.

And we are talking about one of the 5 best Cowboys of all time who started his career as the first All Pro OL rookie since 1947. And he is still the anchor of that OL and that offense.
The owners do honor them.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You are already paying him $13MM next year. So why not guarantee that, add on a couple more years and be done with it? Give him a small signing bonus for more cash next year and really, it's not some cap crushing contract.
Hey I'm all for it. Not a bad deal at all.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think his point is there is more at WR to try to overcome an injury to Lamb than there is at OG if Martin goes down. There's not much at OG beyond Martin if he gets hurt. That's not a slight on Lamb, it's just the reality that WR has more depth than OG does.
I get that and I still take Lamb. I think we have a better chance to win without Martin than Lamb.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He's not a Top 3 OG?

Plus, you are absolutely downplaying the importance of OGs and what teams think of them. The Eagles? Both their OGs were recent 2nd round picks, so that's a pretty big investment in the position. Aaron Banks of the 49ers was also a 2nd round pick.
meant to say disagree instead I typed agree.

where would you rank Guard in the offensive positions importance?

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Yes, and without Tom Brady, you see what happens. NE has been very mediocre without him elevating the team. Not sure why Lamb is included in your post. What has he done to warrant that? Just because he has a contract coming due? So Pollard is a scrub? And Gallup now in his second year post knee injury is going to suck? Diggs is the one that should be on the trade block. He gives up as much as he gets and won't tackle. Definitely not worth elite money.
Lamb is 1B tier not 1A.
Gallup should have never been extended.
Pollard is not a scrub but he is a 15 carry guy.
All are easily replaceable. All could land alot of picks and some players in return.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Lamb is 1B tier not 1A.
Gallup should have never been extended.
Pollard is not a scrub but he is a 15 carry guy.
All are easily replaceable. All could land alot of picks and some players in return.
So, get rid of them now for guys that might be good in 3 years?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
In a lot of ways, I like the move of not paying Zack Martin any more than his contract is worth. He wanted that contract; he got it. Why renegotiate the deal? Play it out, then score another contract. Plus how much have we heard about Zack Martin's workout plan and how hard he's been training. The same ole same ole, every year. He's one of those guys Broadudus talks about who come in looking the same every year.

Meanwhile, like it or not, we have a player like Diggs, who is still very young, and still playing lights out, playing big, more or less, until I guess it came to really big. I was making excuses for Diggs last year, and I hope this offseason he bulks up and comes in ready and prepared to lay some wood. High rep workouts can keep you lean and strong, and Diggs should be hitting it like Parsons, and I suspect he is...
I
Anyway, this whole holding out thing isn't going to sit well, and was ill-timed by Martin. I respect his game,but he couldn't have timed it any worse than this.
That said, there's a bigger overall picture here. The Cowboys are outwardly resistant to paying him any more than this contract, and they apparently realize the future lies ahead. And then there's Martin, well like Zeke, at 32-years old, and aging, like the rest of us, and you just kinda squirm even though he's a big part of our game, because he isn't as good as he once was.. Just still good, and plays his role well Do the Cowboys dare disrespect a guy with so many Pro Bowls? One who they know is aging?

The Pro Bowl is a measure of popularity. If you look at the stat sheets, I wouldn't say Martin was close to being the best guard in the league last year, overall.

I guess we'll see. I'm a fan who never gets in any other players' pockets, rarely, if ever do I comment on those thread. But this throws it in my face, and now I have to consider it

Since the topic of scarcity has come up, I'd rather give that money to the older players who still come in and dominate at times, like Dlaw, and the younger guys, Parsons, Diggs, etc.

That's your triplets on this team. And then there's CeeDee Lamb and Pollard on offense. Plus Dak, Gallup and now Cooks! Without those three, there's no backbone, and i'm no cap expert so I don't really care to understand how it all works, in detail, plus I realize it can be offeset and so on, but back to the topic, I guess what I'm saying is that they know there's a youth movement coming on, and they want to secure their players.

You can't pay someone for their popularity. That's all the Pro-Bowl really is. Martin needs to get that through his head, and play. Or I think the Cowboys walk away from that one well within their tight to do so for the betterment of the team. Martin is still good. But he's not worth more than what he's already making.

How can you not be happy with $86,000,000?
How bad do you have to be at this football thing to still be thinking that Zeke is a good RB?:huh:

HOw much more evidence do you need? Slow learner?

What is your excuse for continuing to get it all wrong with zeke?

Zeke SUCKS!!! And EVERYONE knows it but you apparently. You do realize that NOBODY wants him and he is still unemployed? :huh:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
If this was NE, I think Prescott, Lamb and Diggs would all be on the trade blocks. And Gallup and Pollard would be gone. The team would have all sorts of shiny new pieces heading into the season. But what they have is a broken part time RB and an overrated overpaid #3 WR.
Looks like another sad troll for the ignore feature.

This has to be the dumbest comment I have seen in a long time on here. Congrats you get the award.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
He's also a right guard....Martin is a premium player at a position that isn't premium. All this talk about "he's our best player"...he's a RIGHT GUARD lol.
After looking at WS one thing that becomes apparent: great players transcend position when it comes to contributing to wins.

Sydla

Reaction score
Hey I'm all for it. Not a bad deal at all.
I think this is really all he probably wants. He has no guaranteed money left. So add 2-3 years on, guarantee a chunk of it, and be done with it. You likely don't have to pay him $20MM a year or anything crazy like that.