What exactly does "make the players around you better" mean?

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think that’s a valid question, but it’s really tough to define because it’s so subjective.

My view on it is more centered on talent.

Can the player elevate his play when things are bleak and the team needs him to step up? Does he have that extra gear and “clutch” gene? Or, is the player more dependent on his teammates to keep the ship afloat?

Dak has shown moments of being able to carry the team, honestly (especially using his feet in big moments and refusing to be tackled). But there have been too many moments where a QB with superior talent could overcome the obstacles, where Dak falls flat.

This is all very relative and I think I did a poor job of explaining it. But on the whole, I just don’t feel Dak is skilled enough to carry the team when times are tough — and having that ability, to me, is how I’d define “making players around you better”.

HeavyBarrel

Reaction score
The same way “playing down to your competition” can be true. If I’m playing next to Ray Lewis I promise you I’m playing harder every play because he’ll (and players like him) hold you accountable otherwise. Should I play hard every play? Of course but when you know you’re playing with a great player it absolutely will (should) motivate you

CowboysBravesSpurs

Reaction score
I've heard this used to describe guys like Tom Brady and Russell Wilson. But how exactly do you gauge someone making another player better? Did Joe Montana make Jerry Rice better? Did Troy make Michael Irvin better? I've always had a problem grasping this. Because if I go by the stats...........

In 14 games in 2016 Amari Cooper in 14 games had 48 receptions on 96 attempts for 680 yards while averaging 14.2 yards a catch.......

In 2017 prior to getting to Dallas in 6 games he had 22 catches on 31 targets for 280 yards at 12.7 yards a catch and a touchdown. Safe to say he was going to have a even worse year.

Comes to Dallas and in 9 games has 53 catches on 76 targets at 13.7 yards a catch and 6 Touchdowns.

Season after has 79 catches on 119 targets at 15.1 yards a catch for 8 touchdowns.

On to Randall Cobb.

He's had some injuries recently...miraculously got healthy with Dallas somehow.

Maybe a bit unfair to judge him on his 2018 season with Aaron Rodgers so let's go a year prior to 2017 where he played 15 games.

66 catches on 91 targets for 653 yards on a average of 9.9 yards a catch for 4 touchdowns.

In 2019 with Dallas he had 55 catches for 828 yards on 15.1 yards a catch and 3 touchdowns.....all while being the 3rd best receiver on the team.

Anyone want to help me understand what "makes his receivers better" mean?
Oh look, another thread low key about Dak. I barely use this site, but every time I do I see you you with a thread bating takes from people about Dak. Do you dream about this man when you sleep?

cern

Reaction score
I've heard this used to describe guys like Tom Brady and Russell Wilson. But how exactly do you gauge someone making another player better? Did Joe Montana make Jerry Rice better? Did Troy make Michael Irvin better? I've always had a problem grasping this. Because if I go by the stats...........

In 14 games in 2016 Amari Cooper in 14 games had 48 receptions on 96 attempts for 680 yards while averaging 14.2 yards a catch.......

In 2017 prior to getting to Dallas in 6 games he had 22 catches on 31 targets for 280 yards at 12.7 yards a catch and a touchdown. Safe to say he was going to have a even worse year.

Comes to Dallas and in 9 games has 53 catches on 76 targets at 13.7 yards a catch and 6 Touchdowns.

Season after has 79 catches on 119 targets at 15.1 yards a catch for 8 touchdowns.

On to Randall Cobb.

Maybe a bit unfair to judge him on his 2018 season with Aaron Rodgers so let's go a year prior to 2017 where he played 15 games.

66 catches on 91 targets for 653 yards on a average of 9.9 yards a catch for 4 touchdowns.

In 2019 with Dallas he had 55 catches for 828 yards on 15.1 yards a catch and 3 touchdowns.....all while being the 3rd best receiver on the team.

Not just receivers, the other players as well. Think john elway and "the drive".

Adreme

Reaction score
The only way you can tell if a player is made better is after they leave. Its like how you can tell Adam Gase is the kryptonite to good QB play because they all have career years once they get away from him.

kskboys

Reaction score
Ehh.......I don't think you can make a offensive line better. I think you can make them look better than they are and I think that's what Romo did when he came in for Bledsoe. But you can't make a bad offensive line look good.
Bad look good? No, but that wasn't what we were talking about.

A QB who gets rid of the ball quickly on most downs does indeed make the OL better. Tugging and pulling for an entire game while your QB sits in the pocket tires you down. Which makes you worse.

kskboys

Reaction score
Putting the ball where the WR catches it in stride and can get YAC. A running back who can make guys miss helps the oline and even defense. And so on...
I really thought this was really obvious, never thought we'd have to explain it. Strange days!!!

RoboQB

Reaction score
Oh look, another thread low key about Dak. I barely use this site, but every time I do I see you you with a thread bating takes from people about Dak. Do you dream about this man when you sleep?

He always seems to have a colorful agenda.

He refers to Laurent Robinson and Terrance Williams as highly regarded
and essentially calls Wes Welker, Julian Edelman and Danny Amendola scrubs.

Funny thing is the stats, which he claims to go by, will tell you the latter three
have production, longevity and few records. Hell, Edelman's name is next to
Jerry Rice in SB receiving records.

Dre11

Reaction score
cliches, the league is full of them. it's a team game they all make each other better by doing their job. a qb can't do their job unless the players around them do theirs and vice versa

Hadenough

Reaction score
Players that make other players better have that it factor where they just make big plays in crucial moments and take average players to the next level mentally with their ability. These players are not only very good but they are lucky too.

Hadenough

Reaction score
a more tangible thing is against the jets where a few guys get hurt and dak and the offense can’t do a thing or zeke gets suspended and dak and the cowboys can not even score 10 points in a game. the ability to perform when every thing is not stacked in ur favor is the best way to describe “make the players around u better”.
Bingo!

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Like how Romo made Laurent Robinson better than he ever for 1 year.

Also, consider the players who simply evaporated once Tony left. Escobar got cut from an arena ball team. Also, Witten's ypt was pretty constant hovering around 8 with Romo, then dropped to around 7 the first two years with Dak. Including 2016, when Zeke and the oline simply dominated. Dez at least managed a good 2016, but 2017 was awful. 6.4 ypt.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

On to Randall Cobb.

We used to see it with Lee. The defense was just a different beast with Lee on the field. He wouldn't just make plays himself, he'd get other guys lined up so *they* could make plays.

We could see it with Frederick making line calls that make the unit work better.

And you can see it with QBs making calls at the line, and making the most of the players they have.

You *could* say that DLaw makes other players better by taking double teams, but I'd say in that case he makes their jobs easier, not them better. DLaw makes others *look* better, but aren't really better.

I don't think every position has the chance for this. If you're not somehow making calls to put others in better position to succeed, at most you can make others look better by making their jobs easier.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
just say you're in love with dak and move on. nobody is going to change their view one way or the other. just say, "I'm in love with Dak" if you don't believe me, watch me defend against every criticism of dak. I'll be in every thread.

Brax

Reaction score
On to Randall Cobb.
You know what the answer is, a QB who takes JAGs, average players , PS and scrubs at just about every position on the O and wins games, or a game with the playoffs on the line or games the team shouldn't win with the players they have and doesn't use those players as some excuse for their failures. QB's that elevated other players Marino, Montana, Elway ,Staubach, Bradshaw, Kelly,Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Mahomes, Luck, Wilson to name a few. Ok of course you already knew this and you are posting that somehow Dak elevates other players or that Cooper was some Jag (just keeps getting deeper) that needed Dak to to help him elevate his game. Dak needs top 2 or 3 players at every position to elevate his game and every Dak fanboy knows this. Can Dallas win a Superbowl with Dak , yes as long as every player on Offense is top 3 and the Defense is top 5 in scoring allowed.. It is really funny to listen to all the excuses and prop stats that are used to try justify Dak to elevate to him to some level above good. I do not remember hearing all the excuse about the above QB's because they made/make the players around them better and any football knowledgeable person knew or knows it and I am sure you do too but just can't bring yourself to admit Dak can't do that even with feeble attempts to degrade other players . Dallas fans like yourself will have 4 or 5 more years to lament over Dak's failures, I just hope all the whining and excuses stop and he doesn't kill off another crop of coaches. Maybe when Jerry is 6 feet deep someone who knows football will see the light.