What free agents did the 49ers and the Chiefs signed to help them get to the Super Bowl?

lukemartin79

Reaction score
The 49ers trading for CMC really put their offense over the top, without him they aren't the same.
Yes, exactly. Best answer to the question right there. He's the biggest difference maker either team picked up along the way.
Its not about one particular person or 1 offseason though. Its about how over years both teams have built their squads. Not sure the Chiefs GM, if its Reid or not - but the Niners were built over years by John Lynch. They have real FOs, lol. Wish the Cowboys did.
If I have to pick one guy who made the biggest difference - I agree with you, its CMC

rambo2

Reaction score
Yes, exactly. Best answer to the question right there. He's the biggest difference maker either team picked up along the way.
Its not about one particular person or 1 offseason though. Its about how over years both teams have built their squads. Not sure the Chiefs GM, if its Reid or not - but the Niners were built over years by John Lynch. They have real FOs, lol. Wish the Cowboys did.
If I have to pick one guy who made the biggest difference - I agree with you, its CMC
John Lynch will be devastated if they lose. This is their shot.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I'm curious about what free agents helped them get over the hump.
Niners signed alot of free agents that helped their cause throughout the years. Hargrave, Young, McCaffery and and that tackle from Washington.

Chiefs solidified their oline, drafted Pacheco and used him correctly, drafted some receivers that contributed.

We pressured Jerry and his son to go active in free agency with Cooks and Gilmore. But they whiffed on not signing oline help and some linebackers.

Our FO suck. They are always reactionary rather than proactive with free agency.

MikeT22

Reaction score
When has anybody? Trading for Amari Cooper was a big move.
Gave up a first round pick for a player we had for 3.5 years. I think most teams would prefer to get more than 3-4 years out of their first round pick.

rambo2

Reaction score
Gave up a first round pick for a player we had for 3.5 years. I think most teams would prefer to get more than 3-4 years out of their first round pick.
He played well and helped turn the team around.

MikeT22

Reaction score
He played well and helped turn the team around.
Great, but only 3 1/2 years for a first rounder is a waste, especially when we only managed one playoff win while he was here.

kskboys

Reaction score
KC:
Valdes/Scantling
Jawaan Taylor
Joe Thuney
Charles Omenihu
Justin Reid

Those are just the starters

SF:

Blake Jendel
Kyle Juszczyk
Javon Hargrave
Oren Burks
Chardavius Ward
Also traded for Christian McCaffrey and Trent Williams

I didn't list any reserves.

rambo2

Reaction score
KC:
Valdes/Scantling
Jawaan Taylor
Joe Thuney
Charles Omenihu
Justin Reid

Those are just the starters

SF:

Blake Jendel
Kyle Juszczyk
Javon Hargrave
Oren Burks
Chardavius Ward
Also traded for Christian McCaffrey and Trent Williams

I didn't list any reserves.
Thanks for sharing.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I think you have to look at the cumulative effect of roster-building and not just this year's acquisitions. In addition to getting key starters through the draft, San Fran has added through trades or free agency:

LT Trent Williams
RB Christian McCaffrey
FB Kyle Juszczyk

DT Javon Hargrave
DE Chase Young
CB Charvarius Ward
FS Tashaun Gipson

That's seven starters acquired by other means than the draft.

In comparison, we had one on offense and three on defense, and none cost us very much to acquire. There is some truth to the saying, "You get what you pay for."

phildadon86

Reaction score
John Lynch will be devastated if they lose. This is their shot.
Funny. People said that a while back. Yet. He rebuilt and is back in the SB again. If you’d like context.

That’s twice for SF since 2019 to be in the SB.

Cowboys last appearance was in 1995. Let’s stop comparing franchises run properly to this circus.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Chiefs traded Tyrek Hill and took those picks and rebuilt their secondary through the draft. Replacing Hill with a bunch of crappy FA WRs that dropped a lot of balls and one of their drafted WRs Jayden Reed stepped up and has been the guy besides Kelsey.

rambo2

Reaction score
Funny. People said that a while back. Yet. He rebuilt and is back in the SB again. If you’d like context.

That’s twice for SF since 2019 to be in the SB.

Cowboys last appearance was in 1995. Let’s stop comparing franchises run properly to this circus.
You just keep going on and on.