What free agents did the 49ers and the Chiefs signed to help them get to the Super Bowl?

Gambit

Reaction score
Look at their posting history. They excuse this FO at every single turn. Its not hard to determine what they were trying to suggest with this post. If you are capable of critical thinking.
I'm aware of their posting history.

The big contract FA signings rarely work out, which is why Dallas, in part, stopped playing in that arena. Some say Carr contract was last straw, I think it was more a catalyst. Stephen was given more responsibility about the same time, and his approach is not the same as Jerry's.

He's much more pragmatic and deliberate and less willing to take bigger risks. Which sometimes is a good thing.

Personally I wish the team would be more active especially in that first tier of FA, you can be deliberate and target a few players and still continue to find role players and depth in later waves of FA. But I'm not going to go around bashing them for having a different strategy than I like.

They are not averse to paying FA, just prefer to pay there own when possibly better options are out there.

I saw the OP question as genuinely trying to understand where those 2 teams are targeting their FA efforts to get over the hump and have success. A quick look at link I provided we can see it's one or 2 targeted FA signings filled with role players and depth.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I'm aware of their posting history.

The big contract FA signings rarely work out, which is why Dallas, in part, stopped playing in that arena. Some say Carr contract was last straw, I think it was more a catalyst. Stephen was given more responsibility about the same time, and his approach is not the same as Jerry's.

He's much more pragmatic and deliberate and less willing to take bigger risks. Which sometimes is a good thing.

Personally I wish the team would be more active especially in that first tier of FA, you can be deliberate and target a few players and still continue to find role players and depth in later waves of FA. But I'm not going to go around bashing them for having a different strategy than I like.

They are not averse to paying FA, just prefer to pay there own when possibly better options are out there.

I saw the OP question as genuinely trying to understand where those 2 teams are targeting their FA efforts to get over the hump and have success. A quick look at link I provided we can see it's one or 2 targeted FA signings filled with role players and depth.
I agree with most of what you are saying. The problem is. They overvalue their own talent. And pay them when they shouldnt.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
They brought in Young at the deadline and he has been super helpful. The OP is grasping at straws to try and prove that this FO knows what they are doing.
Yes. Where else would they have gotten those 2.5 sacks in nine games otherwise? I live in 49'er country and there is a ton of talk about Young's lack of effort -- to the extent that there are reports that the team is considering benching him.

Gambit

Reaction score
I agree with most of what you are saying. The problem is. They overvalue their own talent. And pay them when they shouldnt.
In part yes.

An example of this would be Pollard. I posted in the thread about resetting the RB market some very interesting stats about Super Bowl teams and percentages of Cap Running Backs have been recent years.

Pollard was 4.4% of the cap last year.

2 running backs this year in SB?

Pacheco .4%
McCaffery 1.4% which is higher than any other SB running back since 2014.

Injury aside paying him 3 times more of Cap percentage is going to limit some other things you can do.

Why does Dallas, why have they in past, valued the RB spot so much, as it relates to cap Percentage?

They seem to play Money Ball with other spots but here at RB they have blinders on and routinely over pay.

Gambit

Reaction score
Nice...because someone does not think like you want them to, you put them on ignore. Pretty soon you will log in and only see yourself posting. lol
Tell me you didn't read what I said without telling me you did not read what I said.

Your concern isn't the level of adult discussion no, it's how many people I have in ignore.

Talk about a microcosm of this board.

Gambit

Reaction score
If you look at what the OP posted. He is comparing this teams aquisitions to that of the Niners. The niners, brought in top players. So the OP is inferring that these guys are top players. Its not hard to read between the lines when it comes to this particular poster.
My reply though was to you, not the OP.
And you said FA of note.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
In part yes.

An example of this would be Pollard. I posted in the thread about resetting the RB market some very interesting stats about Super Bowl teams and percentages of Cap Running Backs have been recent years.

Pollard was 4.4% of the cap last year.

2 running backs this year in SB?

Pacheco .4%
McCaffery 1.4% which is higher than any other SB running back since 2014.

Injury aside paying him 3 times more of Cap percentage is going to limit some other things you can do.

Why does Dallas, why have they in past, valued the RB spot so much, as it relates to cap Percentage?

They seem to play Money Ball with other spots but here at RB they have blinders on and routinely over pay.
How is Pollard's percentage bigger than McCaffrey's?

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Tell me you didn't read what I said without telling me you did not read what I said.

Your concern isn't the level of adult discussion no, it's how many people I have in ignore.

Talk about a microcosm of this board.
Ignore me....add another to the list. Microcosm might go away if you keep it up.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Hargrave was one of the top free agents last year and they had a need at dt and went out and made that happen. Not to mention the aggressiveness they show when it comes to trades.

Free agency should be used with the draft to plug holes. The draft is how you build the roster and then you use free agency or trades to fill needs. The cowboys never use free agency to sign impact guys
A FO that is held accountable tends to have a sense of urgency in matters of team needs and weaknesses. Proactive in finding players who will upgrade the team immediately and making the tough decisions. Something Dallas is obviously lacking. No accountability, no urgency, no success.

Carson

Reaction score
49ers

UFA - Javon Hargrave DT - Charvarius Ward CB - Kyle Juszczyk FB - Jake Brendel C - John Feliciano G - Sam Darnold QB - Isaiah Oliver CB - Clelin Ferrell DE - Chris Conley WR - Logan Ryan S - George Odum S - Oren Burks LB - Matt Pryor T
Trade - Christian McCafferey RB - Trent Williams T - Chase Young DE - Randy Gregory DE

Looks like John Lynch actually lives "player acquisition is a 365 day per year job" unlike Cap Boy and his annual yacht trip.
100%.
They are where they are because they filled in the gaps with Mooney, Ryan and Hargreaves

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The key players that are helping teams get to the Super Bowl are the ones they drafted.

DCwarrior

Reaction score
Didn’t need much help because they don’t choke in the playoffs.