What gives you hope?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jethro is a promoter. And he has sold hope to Cowboy fans for decades now. I’d argue most have bought in to his hype as we have maintained the top revenue and popularity.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I dont really know. Great question and post per usual btw...

Maybe the blind squirrel thing....

I'm not really sure. I just dont know of any alternatives. I do know this will be less important in my life if things continue in this direction.

They seem to have a great season every time I write them off...and the opposite as well.

I see little chance for improvement next year, so they will probably go 12-4.

Theres the hope for the rest of you.
The only alternative is to either run his butt out of town or let him take this team with him. Other than only Mother Nature will end it.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
That Jerry Jones is a heavy drinker and is 78 years old.

That Stephen Jones is a heavy drinker, fat, and is 56 years old.

Only hope I have left.

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
Yeah those steeler Sb losses still hurt me. Been a fan since ‘64 when I was six yrs old. The only reason I’ve stayed a fan of this team is this- I refuse to allow Jerry to steal my fandom. Out of loyalty to my hero- my dad, who took me to my first Cowboys game in 1964 at the Cotton Bowl, I have stayed loyal. To me, the good days of the Cowboys always remind me of how good a man my father is.
I'm close you your age Bob, and one memory that always sticks out to me was Mel Blount kicking Goldern Richards while he was on the ground, don't remember which SB it was. In fact, with it being so long ago, maybe it's something I convinced myself as a young boy happened.

The Steelers will always be the team I dislike the most because of those two games. They broke this young kid's heart. Luckily as I've aged, losing doesn't hurt like it once did. Family, friends have put sports in the trunk for me. I enjoy reading about it this year, but I did pick a great year not to tune in.

As always, another excellent thread. One of the reasons I believe you are maybe the most respected poster in the Zone. Keep up the good work!

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
I do think Jerry Jones is the problem, but I likely will never bring myself to speak words that suggest I want to hasten his demise.
I just can't bring myself to rejoice in anyone's death or act as if I'm waiting for them to die - whether they deserved it or not. Sorry, I just can't go there.
I can't stand those kind of posts either. Even in my younger days of breaking remotes, cussin', etc I would never wish such a thing. I really cannot understand people would wish for that over something as silly as a game.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
After the last 25 years, it is clear- Jerry Jones and his front office don’t know how to build a winner. Period. It’s not even something that’s arguable. They don’t know what they are doing. The results speak for themselves. Some clear evidence:
  • Jerry’s teams in the 21st century have made the playoffs 7 times in the last 21 seasons.
  • After the great draft haul of 2016, this team hasn’t made the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years.
  • In the last 25 seasons including this one since we won a divisional playoff game, we have had 6 head coaches, 7 different OCs, and 8 different DCs. And the same GM. And 4 playoff wins.
I could go on. But my question is this- where is the hope? I’m not joking or being sarcastic. Serious question. What is the hope Cowboys fans can hang on to?
  • Is our hope pinned to believing we will get healthier next year, thus greatly improve?
  • Is our hope based on the fact we will have good draft position?
  • Is hope now based in somehow believing the Jones boys have learned something?
  • Should we forget the two decades plus of evidence that Jerry literally doesn’t know what he’s doing as GM?
I’m serious when I ask what gives you as a Cowboys fan hope for the future?

The only hope I have- two things- Having good luck and being able to acquire so much talent, it can overcome the completely clueless GM. That’s it.

Gee........lets see:

-Getting back: Tyron Smith, Collins, Martin, Biadasz, Jarwin, Diggs.
-Garrett and Marinelli are no longer here
-Top 5 pick in the draft in every round
-Development of Gallimore, Wilson on defense and possibly McGovern on offense
-The ability to free up 30 million in salary after next season by dumping Zeke and Jaylon Smith
-Possibility to free up another 20 million if we want to move on from Cooper
-Last years draft

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
After the last 25 years, it is clear- Jerry Jones and his front office don’t know how to build a winner. Period. It’s not even something that’s arguable. They don’t know what they are doing. The results speak for themselves. Some clear evidence:
  • Jerry’s teams in the 21st century have made the playoffs 7 times in the last 21 seasons.
  • After the great draft haul of 2016, this team hasn’t made the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years.
  • In the last 25 seasons including this one since we won a divisional playoff game, we have had 6 head coaches, 7 different OCs, and 8 different DCs. And the same GM. And 4 playoff wins.
I could go on. But my question is this- where is the hope? I’m not joking or being sarcastic. Serious question. What is the hope Cowboys fans can hang on to?
  • Is our hope pinned to believing we will get healthier next year, thus greatly improve?
  • Should we forget the two decades plus of evidence that Jerry literally doesn’t know what he’s doing as GM?

The only hope I have- two things- Having good luck and being able to acquire so much talent, it can overcome the completely clueless GM. That’s it.
Great topic. And I HAVE to be honest. I don't think there is much hope. This is a FAMILY own and operated business...and the ONLY think Jerry is handing down is how to make MONEY. And since they do that better than ANYBODY in sports...why would they change?

The one thing you pointed out I have been saying for a while....because I really don't think people grasp how BAD it has really been. Since Jimmy Johnson influence has left the building...meaning the players and/or coaches Jimmy brought in....we have won 3....3....3....playoff games. I am not counting Barry Switzer...because a lot of the Jimmy Johnson influence was in that lockeroom. Why am I pointing this out? Because that is when Jerry started running the show the way HE wanted to run it. Remember...he said upon Jimmy's exit that any of 500 coaches could coach the Dallas Cowboys. And trust me...he said that because he MEANT it. But since Jerry has run it the way he thinks it should be run...we are averaging about 1 playoff win every 8 years. I cannot put into words how unbelievable that is. Especially when that has had ZERO impact on the bottom line. But there is not a GM in the HISTORY of sports...that has or would keep their job with a track record like that. But the fact that the chief architect of this franchise....in the face of these sobering facts....continues to be the chief architect of this franchise....is why I feel there is ZERO hope. And I had a sliver of hope for his son...and the minute he started having his own radio show I immediately knew he would be no better.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I cling to hopes that Stephen might see fit to hire a GM when Jerry "kicks the bucket," even if it's a longshot. o_O

Now, I know I may not live long enough to see that happen, so I content myself by merely being entertained. :(

I should confess that I inwardly get a certain mean-spirited sense of satisfaction by criticizing our front office! ;)

Last edited:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I dont really know. Great question and post per usual btw...

Maybe the blind squirrel thing....

I'm not really sure. I just dont know of any alternatives. I do know this will be less important in my life if things continue in this direction.

They seem to have a great season every time I write them off...and the opposite as well.

I see little chance for improvement next year, so they will probably go 12-4.

Theres the hope for the rest of you.
FT, there’s actually some logic in your hope. The only time this team does anything is when it looks dark. They do better when things are going bad, and somehow worse when things start getting better. I think that’s an indication of how clueless this FO is. The Jones are basically a bunch of drunks at the Vegas craps table with unlimited cash. Their plan is to just keep rolling the dice in hopes they roll boxcars. That’s it. That’s the plan.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the expectation is a Superbowl then there is no hope as long as Jerry is in the building. If we want to get back to winning the Division every few years and losing in the divisional round then getting Dak, Martin, Smith and Collins back will go a long way towards that.
Johnny you make an excellent point. I honestly believe theJones boys look at division flags as a major accomplishment. They crow about it. While the fan base wants more, they are impressed with themselves when they go 10-6 and win the East. Amazing.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Top 3 pick. Someone falls in love with a QB and gives us a kings ransom to trade up

Uncle_Hank

Reaction score
Jerry is 78 years old with underlying health issues. At some point he is going to have to step down. That gives me hope.

Kaiser

Reaction score
One day Jeff Heath will grace our team with his presence again and bring our team to salvation.

Not enough cap room, but keep the dream alive!

Its hilarious how many posts we had saying Heath was the worst safety in the NFL because of a made up PFF stat and then the position got worse this year.

mardwin

Reaction score
Stephen Jones, he's a bit more pragmatic than Jerry. Once Jerry's time comes he will probably find a real football guy to come in and make personnel decisions.

fivetwos

Reaction score
FT, there’s actually some logic in your hope. The only time this team does anything is when it looks dark. They do better when things are going bad, and somehow worse when things start getting better. I think that’s an indication of how clueless this FO is. The Jones are basically a bunch of drunks at the Vegas craps table with unlimited cash. Their plan is to just keep rolling the dice in hopes they roll boxcars. That’s it. That’s the plan.
I actually dont think their biggest problem is not being qualified....

It's the lack of realization that the culture they have created would undermine any staff, and a large key to winning is the staffs ability to get the most out of players.

It's a full blown counterproductive situation.

They dont get that and never will. They dont necessarily need to step down as much as shut up, and create the idea that the staff rules.

Egos dont allow that I suppose.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

I don't have hope. I threw the towel in this mid season after seeing this defense. and it hit me like a ton of brick, this time I am not buying into jones' hype. this defense is several years away from becoming any good, that is if we hit on draft picks. we need at least 8 if not 9 new starters on defense. you don't replace that in one draft, even if you hit on your top picks. you can not build through FA, even if we had a QB that made $1. no good player really hits the FA market, much less 3 or 4 and if they do, the top ones, their contracts are bigger than Lawrence.....

we are at least 2 or 3 years away from being competitive again....the only thing we have looking forward to is the offense. and you don't win championships without a defense. all the past few years defensive drafts are catching up with us. miss after miss after miss after miss

Last edited:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I actually dont think their biggest problem is not being qualified....

It's the lack of realization that the culture they have created would undermine any staff, and a large key to winning is the staffs ability to get the most out of players.

It's a full blown counterproductive situation.

They dont get that and never will. They dont necessarily need to step down as much as shut up, and create the idea that the staff rules.

Egos dont allow that I suppose.
Great point. I think they are surrounded by yes men and sycophants and it would never occur to them that they are actually the problem.

Jerry used to do a radio show in the late 90s and early 00s on the Dallas radio station “The Ticket”, where the hosts would call him out and challenge him on air. Fans could even call in and question him. Many fans were bold , saying “Why don’t you hire someone else to be the GM?” He would get mad and couldn’t handle being challenged like that. Ever since then, the”flagship” station for the Cowboys is 105.3 The Fan, where the hosts throw softballs and keep a straight face when he lies and throws out complete BS.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, rainbows give me hope.
And butterflies.
And the laughter of children.
And the smell of fresh flowers.
And the promise of a new day.

That's why I look like this …
OIP.zHLlubvZjSzC16d1O6hR5wHaLE