Video: What Happened to Ezekiel Elliott? Baldy Breakdowns

quickccc

Reaction score
That wasn't the primary goal of this discussion. It was about worse signings.

Since Elliot has been decent, he has been a far better signing than several. And you might even be able to include Jaylon Smith in that discussion.

Thornton, Carroll, and Byron Bell all got nice contracts, and all were completely useless.

I thought Carroll and Bell were brought here on one or two year deals, doesn't sound like their contracts were not all that " nice " ?

Thorton was the highest invested 1 tech signing we had, and he wasn't that significant a cap hit when we gave up on him as a failure.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I know it's another Zeke thread but this confirms what I posted about how Zeke doesn't attack the edges anymore.
I haven't seen him try to out run the LB/Safeties to the sidelines and turn the corner for a big gain like he used to.

I love Baldy and his breakdowns.

Of course, a lot of guys here will go to their graves insisting that the problems lie on the back of the O-Line and that Zeke can't run through 9-man boxes; I suppose it's not even worth the argument with that faction.

But man, this is eye opening and very concerning. Lots of money to a guy who's not running with burst or vision.

Thanks for posting!

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I have to wonder if Zeke held out with 2 years left because he knew he was losing it, and didn't want the FO to see that before he got his contract.
How did he put up 140 on a pretty good defense?

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
The first half of that video was one missed block after another.

Zeke is leaving some meat on the bones, but guys are not executing their blocks, every play it is one player or another on the front side of the run getting owned.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Define top money.

RW11 and Barber both got top money. Way overpaid.

If you mean they must be paid the best in the NFL, then you have narrowed the parameters to try and claim a silly victory. Kinda weak.

Are you claiming that Barber was one of the highest paid RB's in the NFL when he signed?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Running backs need blocking. Quarterbacks need blocking. Otherwise do not overpay the O-line.

I was in the crowd of not resigning Zeke fyi

Some need it more than others. Heck, Zeke got huge holes against the Giants all game long two weeks ago and he still kept running into the safety. Couldn't break a long one.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
How did he put up 140 on a pretty good defense?
I don't know. Why is he leaving so much meat on the bone? Some of the plays Baldy was showing seemed like nobody could get through the little spaces, but some others looked like a player like Zeke is supposed to be should have been able to make something out them.

It's strange, against the Giants he was making quick cutbacks like he needed to make against the Vikings, but he was pretty useless. Make he needs a couple of weeks to rest up?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I don't know. Why is he leaving so much meat on the bone? Some of the plays Baldy was showing seemed like nobody could get through the little spaces, but some others looked like a player like Zeke is supposed to be should have been able to make something out them.

It's strange, against the Giants he was making quick cutbacks like he needed to make against the Vikings, but he was pretty useless. Make he needs a couple of weeks to rest up?
I dunno, I saw a really poor run block performance. Elliott a couple games ago looked fresh, quick and faster. Versus the Vikings he looked slower, sluggish. That's part of why the defense collapsed the blocking. I wonder if he's playing with an injury? It's just off. But IMO, the O line is not very good. And that's mainly because of injuries I think.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I dunno, I saw a really poor run block performance. Elliott a couple games ago looked fresh, quick and faster. Versus the Vikings he looked slower, sluggish. That's part of why the defense collapsed the blocking. I wonder if he's playing with an injury? It's just off. But IMO, the O line is not very good. And that's mainly because of injuries I think.
Oh the O-line has definitely been run blocking poorly, but not every play. Sometimes Zeke doesn't seem to know where to go. He's hesitant, but not out of patience. It makes me wonder if he's ever actually been patient, or if he's just always been indecisive.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Oh the O-line has definitely been run blocking poorly, but not every play. Sometimes Zeke doesn't seem to know where to go. He's hesitant, but not out of patience. It makes me wonder if he's ever actually been patient, or if he's just always been indecisive.
That's the weird part, he's had great games where he was patient for things to develop. This season. I don't get it. I certainly won't jump any conclusions, but something is off.

kento40

Reaction score
With Zeke, its everyone elses fault. With Dak, its all on Dak.

And FYI...…..don't tell anyone, but Dak learned to NOT take sacks again.
I was so happy watching him throw the ball away instead of taking unnecessary sacks.The man is improving, even a hater like me can admit that.

kskboys

Reaction score
I thought Carroll and Bell were brought here on one or two year deals, doesn't sound like their contracts were not all that " nice " ?

Thorton was the highest invested 1 tech signing we had, and he wasn't that significant a cap hit when we gave up on him as a failure.
Of course. However, they were still bad signings.

kskboys

Reaction score

If I had to guess, I'd say it appears that he loses focus.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
Here’s a depressing stat from the video..

Zeke has one 20+ yard run this season. He had 15 in 2016.
One of the knocks on him going into the season was his discipline off the field and being lazy at times. Seeing how he hold out to get paid, and once he did and seeing his production now, shows that history showed you exactly what we got, there shouldn't be any surprise. I just wish some of that money went to Cooper and Dak, to players who are producing and have reports of great work ethics. The one thing I have liked about Zeke is his ability to block to protect Dak, but you dont have to pay #1 RB money for that. I just hope he starts to mature, because he has the potential and talent to do so, he just needs better work ethics.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I was so happy watching him throw the ball away instead of taking unnecessary sacks.The man is improving, even a hater like me can admit that.

Did you expect a 2nd and 3rd year QB to not improve?