What happened to TO's run after the catch ability

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
nyc;2332894 said:
***? Are you stupid? Did you not watch last weeks game?

He broke a long run in wide open space ... just like Patrick Crayton did on Sunday. Does that mean Patrick Crayton is great running after the catch? I'm talking about a play where he swatted away a defensive back like an annoying gnat, like he used to do routinely in his prime. That's what used to make him special. The first defender brings him down every time these days.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
It doesn't happen nearly as often as it used to for him because 90% of the time when he catches the ball he isn't moving. If he catches the ball in full stride the first defender will rarely bring him down.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Alexander;2333354 said:
Owens is part of the problem. He is being pushed as a large part of the gameplan but that goes out the window when he cannot escape press coverage. Rod Hood essentially made him a non-factor just as Springs did.

Its amazing to me that more people dont believe this and refuse to acknowledge it.

I know owens fans are reluctant to poke a hole in any element of his game, but this is the truth and laufenberg has been saying it since he showed up here.

He gets bumped, then he gets frustrated, then he gets mental.

goshan

Reaction score
It would not be surprising for a RCVR TOs age to be slowing down.
I do think he is getting a free pass by fans.
The guy isn't getting open and making a lot of long runs. He gets shut down too easily and it is his fault.

Top RCVRs beat double teams.

Give me Fitz man, give me Fitz.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Future;2333560 said:
It doesn't happen nearly as often as it used to for him because 90% of the time when he catches the ball he isn't moving. If he catches the ball in full stride the first defender will rarely bring him down.

That's a great point. We're not hitting him with a whole lot of routes that allow him to catch things in stride, keep his momentum, and run through tackles.

We'll need to see a return to such routes over the next 3 games if we're going to keep ourselves in good shape till Tony returns.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
theebs;2333572 said:
Its amazing to me that more people dont believe this and refuse to acknowledge it.

I know owens fans are reluctant to poke a hole in any element of his game, but this is the truth and laufenberg has been saying it since he showed up here.

I am very much a fan of Owens, but it is obvious this year that he is having a harder and harder time beating physical coverage. He has never been great at it and it is got worse as teams are making it an issue to get into him at the line.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2333579 said:
That's a great point. We're not hitting him with a whole lot of routes that allow him to catch things in stride, keep his momentum, and run through tackles.

We'll need to see a return to such routes over the next 3 games if we're going to keep ourselves in good shape till Tony returns.

But that is exactly what defenses take away...If I know that that's what TO does well, coordinators certainly do too. He's got a corner jamming him, a safety over top, and a lot of times a linebacker drifting his way over the middle. There is just nothing available to him to do that.

Which is why Garrett needs to get more creative and line him up different places and use motion more. Until that happens we will continue to see the same problems.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
Q_the_man;2333393 said:
Fact is were not throwing TO quick slants, that's where TO is really effective, Quick Slants, he gets one quick slant thrown to him once a game................
These are the type of Passes he caught all the time in Philly, maybe with Romo out they'll go back to these.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Future;2333598 said:
But that is exactly what defenses take away...If I know that that's what TO does well, coordinators certainly do too. He's got a corner jamming him, a safety over top, and a lot of times a linebacker drifting his way over the middle. There is just nothing available to him to do that.

Do you really think this is the first time in his 13 year career that he's faced this kind of coverage? Who were his great WR's playing next to him in Philly taking coverage away from him? Freddie Mitchell? Todd Pinkston?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2333618 said:
Do you really think this is the first time in his 10 year career that he's faced this kind of coverage? Who were his great WR's playing next to him in Philly taking coverage away from him? Freddie Mitchell? Todd Pinkston?

They were also running the same scheme San Francisco did, which featured more RAC emphasis. I cannot say he is getting that right now.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2333618 said:
Do you really think this is the first time in his 13 year career that he's faced this kind of coverage? Who were his great WR's playing next to him in Philly taking coverage away from him? Freddie Mitchell? Todd Pinkston?

Did you watch the Chiefs game...I think it was the year they went to the Super Bowl, maybe the year before. He ran WIDE OPEN over the middle of the field in the second half.

ilovejerry

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2332686 said:
If Ware and Romo can catch so much heat, let's put the microscope on some other sacred cows...

Can anyone remember the last time TO broke a long run after the catch on a short completion? That used to be his bread and butter. That's how he used to put up outrageous numbers even when he was double covered. How many times are we going to have to watch TO be brought down by another ankle tackle before it's time to say maybe age is catching up to him?

:splat:

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Future;2333628 said:
Did you watch the Chiefs game...I think it was the year they went to the Super Bowl, maybe the year before. He ran WIDE OPEN over the middle of the field in the second half.

Well then let's go sign Pinkston and Freddie Mitchell then. I think they're both working for the Post Office right now.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Alexander;2333626 said:
They were also running the same scheme San Francisco did, which featured more RAC emphasis. I cannot say he is getting that right now.
Enter Brad Johnson...

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
theebs;2333572 said:

owens has fans? of course it's easy to blame the flakey player while giving a free pass to Jerruh's annointed one (little red). You know him, the guy calling all the bad plays getting Romo killed, not factoring our OL and of course the plays with no chance of RAC.

Yup, TO is just lazy and mental. Funny how he was among our best blocker yesterday :laugh2:

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2333692 said:
Well then let's go sign Pinkston and Freddie Mitchell then. I think they're both working for the Post Office right now.

My point was that it had nothing to do with the other receivers being that great. The defenses just didn't take it away from him then.

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2332686 said:
If Ware and Romo can catch so much heat, let's put the microscope on some other sacred cows...

Can anyone remember the last time TO broke a long run after the catch on a short completion? That used to be his bread and butter. That's how he used to put up outrageous numbers even when he was double covered. How many times are we going to have to watch TO be brought down by another ankle tackle before it's time to say maybe age is catching up to him?

Romo has to hit TO in stride instead of constently underthrowing him, throwing behind him and waiting too long to release the ball to him...

When lead... ( IE against Bengals) he can create when he is...

Get a clue...

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
McCordsville Cowboy;2333748 said:
Romo has to hit TO in stride instead of constently underthrowing him, throwing behind him and waiting too long to release the ball to him...

When lead... ( IE against Bengals) he can create when he is...

Get a clue...

If you don't think Romo isn't one of the most accurate passers in the NFL (and vastly more accurate than McNabb, who TO had a career year with), then it's not me who doesn't have the clue.

Bottom line ... TO is great making the big play with nothing but open field in front of him ... just like Patrick Crayton was Sunday. But he doesn't have nearly the ability to take a 5 yard route 30 yards by brushing off smaller defensive backs like he used to. It used to be an eye opening experience when the first defender would bring him down. Now it's an eye opening experience if the first defender doesn't bring him down. He's getting old and he's not the same player he once was.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2332686 said:

He can't get free against press coverage anymore. Cornerbacks get into his face and he can't beat it.

2-3 years ago he could.

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2333795 said:
If you don't think Romo isn't one of the most accurate passers in the NFL (and vastly more accurate than McNabb, who TO had a career year with), then it's not me who doesn't have the clue.

Bottom line ... TO is great making the big play with nothing but open field in front of him ... just like Patrick Crayton was Sunday. But he doesn't have nearly the ability to take a 5 yard route 30 yards by brushing off smaller defensive backs like he used to. It used to be an eye opening experience when the first defender would bring him down. Now it's an eye opening experience if the first defender doesn't bring him down. He's getting old and he's not the same player he once was.

An astute observation...

Father time catches up with everyone. He is soon to be 35 but can outrun almost the entire team. If is thrown more CATCHABLE balls he might have a chance to do something. And it seems that EVERYTIME TO is in motion running across the field and he is THROWN TO.. its always anywhere but in stride..

TO is not the problem... Its Romo's lack of a pocket presence, Garretts pathetic play calling and Wades lack of intensity to what will doom our team...