What happens if we dont even make the playoffs (likely)

plymkr

Reaction score
Now we are getting into real football talk (thankfully) after the silly stuff that has been going on. I personally am not willing to give into ineptitude just based off last season. I think last season was a worst case scenario. We are new terra firma. QB is solidified, WR's well above average, RB meh, TE's good and improving OL, it's a question mark but we saw some good things towards the end of the season even with backup guys...so with that said, if the org shows full and complete dedication to the defense in the draft and FA...we should NOT be down on the team. WFT is the biggest threat. They get a QB and they are dangerous but in the last 20+ years they haven't been able to solve that issue. If the Cowboys improve the Defense and continue the offensive aggressiveness, there is absolutely NO reason to believe we aren't in it. The D and lack there of has been the problem for a while. Now that Dak is signed, time to do the real work.
I agree, last year was a down year. We had massive injuries to everything. And the rare position that didn't suffer a season ending injury we had season ending moronic play. I.e., our linebackers were fairly healthy throughout the year but tackled air instead of the ball carrier and our CB's were relatively healthy but guarded the imaginary WRs and let the real ones run by them. And even our LBs and Secondary did not have the massive injuries the other positions did but they still got hit with injuries. So we'll be better than last year.

I will say now that the xanax has kicked in, lol, that QB is not the biggest issue this team has going forward. Regardless of what Dak did this team is going to be successful based on 5 guys IMO. If Tyron and Collins come back then our offense is set and will be explosive. If that happens then Dak will be able to enjoy Cooper, Lamb, Gallup, Jarwin and he emerging Schultz. Offense is set and explosive with a little bit of luck. On defense if McCoy, Hill and Gallimore play well then we'll be okay on defense. If those three play well and adding tank on one side and the emerging Gregory on the other then our D-line will be above average to good. McCoy, Hill and Gallimore have a lot of room to grow to make us good but it's possible. Then in the secondary we can draft CB's and safety. The more the merrier.

So I feel this season comes down to 5 guys, Tyron, Collins, Gallimore, Hill and McCoy. If those guys stay/step up then we are free to draft the best defensive players in our draft spots in each round. Now it's completely possible that we draft a DT and another DT, and then secondary players. But if those guys step up then it's a luxury and we can rotate DT's and DE's in and out for fresh legs. Either way we have to hit on our drafts picks whether or not we draft CB's or D-linemen. But if the 3 on defense show up then we have a good chance at turning this thing around. I would love to pick up Sherman as a cheaper vet safety, at least he'll bring some fire to the team.

Also a positive for next year is the inner offensive line play at the end of the year. BDZ, Conner and that other guy started playing well at the end of the season. They started to gel. We get Martin back, Collins and Tyron and that offensive line got a lot of positive reps from the backups last year.

Dak is not going to make or break us, he'll be solid as usual as long as he's protected. If the other guys don't show up and we don't draft their replacements then we're back to 6-10. If they show up I can see 8-8 or 9-7. We'll beat Philly, Giants, Football Team, Saints, Panthers. We'll lose to TB and KC. We should be able to play with everyone else and anyone we can play with, we can beat.

Mk2_Cowboys

Reaction score
So now that we signed a gimped up average QB to a record contract....

What happens if we dont even make the playoffs.....which is very likely...Commanders have built themselves a nice Dline when Jerry wasnt looking

Commanders don’t even have a a QB on the roster but troll has to troll so go right ahead .

Jipper

Reaction score
We play in the worst division in football

we have the best qb in said division

we have the best chance in the division to make the playoffs

Any questions

Beaker42

Reaction score
I agree, last year was a down year. We had massive injuries to everything. And the rare position that didn't suffer a season ending injury we had season ending moronic play. I.e., our linebackers were fairly healthy throughout the year but tackled air instead of the ball carrier and our CB's were relatively healthy but guarded the imaginary WRs and let the real ones run by them. And even our LBs and Secondary did not have the massive injuries the other positions did but they still got hit with injuries. So we'll be better than last year.

I will say now that the xanax has kicked in, lol, that QB is not the biggest issue this team has going forward. Regardless of what Dak did this team is going to be successful based on 5 guys IMO. If Tyron and Collins come back then our offense is set and will be explosive. If that happens then Dak will be able to enjoy Cooper, Lamb, Gallup, Jarwin and he emerging Schultz. Offense is set and explosive with a little bit of luck. On defense if McCoy, Hill and Gallimore play well then we'll be okay on defense. If those three play well and adding tank on one side and the emerging Gregory on the other then our D-line will be above average to good. McCoy, Hill and Gallimore have a lot of room to grow to make us good but it's possible. Then in the secondary we can draft CB's and safety. The more the merrier.

So I feel this season comes down to 5 guys, Tyron, Collins, Gallimore, Hill and McCoy. If those guys stay/step up then we are free to draft the best defensive players in our draft spots in each round. Now it's completely possible that we draft a DT and another DT, and then secondary players. But if those guys step up then it's a luxury and we can rotate DT's and DE's in and out for fresh legs. Either way we have to hit on our drafts picks whether or not we draft CB's or D-linemen. But if the 3 on defense show up then we have a good chance at turning this thing around. I would love to pick up Sherman as a cheaper vet safety, at least he'll bring some fire to the team.

Also a positive for next year is the inner offensive line play at the end of the year. BDZ, Conner and that other guy started playing well at the end of the season. They started to gel. We get Martin back, Collins and Tyron and that offensive line got a lot of positive reps from the backups last year.

Dak is not going to make or break us, he'll be solid as usual as long as he's protected. If the other guys don't show up and we don't draft their replacements then we're back to 6-10. If they show up I can see 8-8 or 9-7. We'll beat Philly, Giants, Football Team, Saints, Panthers. We'll lose to TB and KC. We should be able to play with everyone else and anyone we can play with, we can beat.
Newsflash - our LB’s are trash.

stiletto

Reaction score

Great post. It was refreshing, sheesh. I think everyone knows the Defense needs a complete overhaul. The Offense was respectable even without Dak and other pieces last year. Health is always key but last years D was totally repulsive. Now that the Dak stuff is down-river, time to focus on the D. Lots of capital there. Some pieces in place but a lot not in place. I will frankly be HIGHLY disappointed if there isnt a clear focus on D and an influx of new people going forward. The Dak signing to me is just drama to the real work. We'll see. I am ready now that the Dak drama is over, to focus on the real elephant in the room. A historically bad Cowboys defense and the reform of it. I welcome any changes there.

plymkr

Reaction score
Newsflash - our LB’s are trash.
News flash- I know. But a strong defensive line and secondary can make up for our LB play. Our whole defense is trash, besides 2 players and that's even debatable. It's unrealistic to think we can fix 9 our of 11 spots on defense in one offseason.

triplets_93

Reaction score
What happens if we dont even make the playoffs???

Nothing for the Joneses. Jerryworld and all of it's revenue streams will still leave Jerry in the black. There is no other reality.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

What happens if we dont even make the playoffs.....which is very likely...Commanders have built themselves a nice Dline when Jerry wasnt looking
Commanders aren't our competion until they make a bold move at QB. I dont see Watson or Wilson actually moving, but there are probably still more possibilities.

Right now our main competition for the NFCE is the Eagles

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I wish we would get serious about our defense....some good FAs out there
I really hope going from the tag # to the year 1# has us looking at legit defense upgrades.

You could win 11+ games in a weak division if you impove the defense. If not are fight to be .500 or just above

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I dont have to go anywhere, how about you leave...talk to me like you know me
What if he does know you and you dont realize it?

My uncle and myself posted on the same Cowboys forum years ago without realizing it

Maybe I know you. Is your name Rob or Mike?

aria

Reaction score

What happens if we dont even make the playoffs.....which is very likely...Commanders have built themselves a nice Dline when Jerry wasnt looking[/were
Were you asking this same question when your boy in your avatar got his contract? You should have been.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
The Dak-stanleys will blame the coach, the defense, the OL, the waterboy, the cheerleaders etc.

Lather, Rinse, Repeat
And you will NOT include the above said tangibles as if they don't matter. Excluding the ones you added for shine. Cheerleaders? That does not make any man join your cause. Stuff made of over the fence gossip.

Why did Mahommes get shut down in the SB?

GEE.....do you need a hint?

Please say no. Your credibility can't sink any lower.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Wrong.

Dak is the most talented QB we ever had

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Could only have been written by someone who doesn't remember the 20th century. I can think of 4 quarterbacks from that time that I would rather have than Dak: Roger Staubach, Troy Aikman, Danny White, and Don Meredith.

Dak has some abilities, to be sure. But his name plus the phrase "most talented quarterback we've ever had" should have brought up an error message on his screen: "Insanity detected, shutting down computer. Computer will not run for 90 days while user seeks treatment."

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Edit: :facepalm:

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
We play in the worst division in football

we have the best qb in said division

we have the best chance in the division to make the playoffs

Any questions
Uhhhh...why is there air?

Love,
Pappy

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

Romo got paid elite money, so was he average? Aikman WAS average by your standards. 141 CAREER INT's to 165 td's.