What happens to Garrett if this happens?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On one side you have the man that turned it from 3-5 into a playoff team. On the other, you'd have the man that let the team make the same mistake in back to back seasons and climbing out of that hole with this schedule twice? Unlikely.

The tricky part of this is the relationship Garrett has with the family, unlike anything we've seen before. Firing a HC during the season is worst thing a team can do to him. But one that is close to family, can Booger do that?

The answer lies in history. When the team was struggling under Phillips, there were many rumors about visits to Booger's home by key players on the team. I always believed that because that's what an owner close to his players does.

Garrett's strength has been his ability to get his players to go all out but with a lame duck HC and a lost season? Dunno

And with Booger's ego, he might be patting himself on the back more for that Cooper trade than Garrett turning the team and there is no denying that was the catalyst.

I don't believe in lightning striking twice so if the team is 3-5, I don't care what they do with Garrett.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I’m neither hoping this happens nor predicting it will either...But what happens to Jason Garrett if the team gets off to another slow start in the 2019 season? Say, 2-4 or 3-5?

What happens to the mindset of the players, knowing their HC does not have another year on his contract, and the team struggles early out of the gate? Would this team quit on him knowing Jerry won’t re-up his once favorite adopted son with a mediocre or below season?

We all know this team will be playing a divisional champ schedule, which theoretically means there are less cupcakes on the schedule, although that’s never a guarantee either way. (Some years, it ends up not being as difficult- you just never know year to year) The pressure to win AND win early I think will be one of the bigger storylines as the 2019 season starts. And that’s a good thing. Garrett’s had too many chances IMO anyway.

If this team falters early again like they did last year, I think Jerry might make a change during the season. Maybe he goes with Richard as interim to see if the troops rally around him. Again, I’m not necessarily predicting this will happen, just pondering the “what if”.

One message I believe Jerry has sent that I like- I think he knows the clock is ticking for him and his ability to see another championship. The Amari Cooper trade and the Paul Alexander firing last year sent the message that Jerry wants to win NOW. I don’t think he has the right HC to win with, but maybe he’s finally fed up with the “wait til next year” slogans he’s thrown out for 23 years. Maybe...

What do you guys think?
fans will scream fire him. if we start 1-7, then Kris Richards will get an opportunity to show case his head coaching abilities...if we are 2-4 or 3-5, then garrett will probably take control of play calling. I wouldn't be surprised to see us with that record, since Moore as good as he maybe or some day become, is a rookie OC and Rookie Play caller. he will make mistakes. its inevitable. not sure if then garrett will lose the locker room and rallying the troops. he may. it may not be enough.

we are looking at new coaching in 2020...about 95% sure. this situation is a lose-lose situation. I don't see a good outcome as its been set up

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
I’m neither hoping this happens nor predicting it will either...But what happens to Jason Garrett if the team gets off to another slow start in the 2019 season? Say, 2-4 or 3-5?

What happens to the mindset of the players, knowing their HC does not have another year on his contract, and the team struggles early out of the gate? Would this team quit on him knowing Jerry won’t re-up his once favorite adopted son with a mediocre or below season?

We all know this team will be playing a divisional champ schedule, which theoretically means there are less cupcakes on the schedule, although that’s never a guarantee either way. (Some years, it ends up not being as difficult- you just never know year to year) The pressure to win AND win early I think will be one of the bigger storylines as the 2019 season starts. And that’s a good thing. Garrett’s had too many chances IMO anyway.

If this team falters early again like they did last year, I think Jerry might make a change during the season. Maybe he goes with Richard as interim to see if the troops rally around him. Again, I’m not necessarily predicting this will happen, just pondering the “what if”.

One message I believe Jerry has sent that I like- I think he knows the clock is ticking for him and his ability to see another championship. The Amari Cooper trade and the Paul Alexander firing last year sent the message that Jerry wants to win NOW. I don’t think he has the right HC to win with, but maybe he’s finally fed up with the “wait til next year” slogans he’s thrown out for 23 years. Maybe...

What do you guys think?

Ask yourself if past performance is an indicator of future happenings. Then think of Wade Phillips.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
On one side you have the man that turned it from 3-5 into a playoff team. On the other, you'd have the man that let the team make the same mistake in back to back seasons and climbing out of that hole with this schedule twice? Unlikely.

The tricky part of this is the relationship Garrett has with the family, unlike anything we've seen before. Firing a HC during the season is worst thing a team can do to him. But one that is close to family, can Booger do that?

The answer lies in history. When the team was struggling under Phillips, there were many rumors about visits to Booger's home by key players on the team. I always believed that because that's what an owner close to his players does.

Garrett's strength has been his ability to get his players to go all out but with a lame duck HC and a lost season? Dunno

And with Booger's ego, he might be patting himself on the back more for that Cooper trade than Garrett turning the team and there is no denying that was the catalyst.

I don't believe in lightning striking twice so if the team is 3-5, I don't care what they do with Garrett.
It'd be a bit harder to get rid of Garrett mid season, with an unseasoned OC...unless Jerry makes Richard the interim HC.

Frozen700

Reaction score
You should go root for the Browns. They lose a lot and get high draft picks for it. It would be right up your ally.

Ah yes, let me guess you love anything with a star?

If it was up to you Garrett and Dak would get Max deals huh? Well you can pretend to think there is nothing wrong. I'll stick around and watch folks like you cry and then try to pick yourself back up over and over again as we continue to fail with the bums we have

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Excellent analysis.
And this is all conjecture on my part of course but because of Garrett’s contract status, I believe getting off to a good start will be very, very important. I would not be surprised to see more emphasis placed on preseason execution so the team doesn’t come out of the gate sluggish.

I believe this guillotine hanging over Garrett’s head will produce a higher sense of urgency from now all through 2019. That’s not a bad thing IMO. Garrett’s habit of being overly cautious is going to be challenged. I think that’s a great thing. Win or adios.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It'd be a bit harder to get rid of Garrett mid season, with an unseasoned OC...unless Jerry makes Richard the interim HC.
That would depend on whether Booger thinks he has what he thought he had with Phillips, a HC-in-waiting.

If this scenario Bullet describes comes to fruition and he doesn't fire Garrett until the end of the season, Richard is not the guy. And it would not be surprising that he would have a contingency plan ready to go with the guy they have targeted.

What I think happens is that Booger publicly states that Garrett has been here before and turned that team and deserves the chance to repeat that. That makes the Garrett fans happy, and believe it or not there are some, and the Garrettkeets don't really care, season is shot to hell anyway. Let's see a show of hands of the Garrettkeets that thought he would pull it out this season. Thought so.

And the saddest thing about all of this is that the greatest Garrettkeet of all time, #1Cowboysdude would not be here to bask in his glory. I would hope Booger would let him walk Garrett out of the building.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
we are looking at new coaching in 2020...about 95% sure. this situation is a lose-lose situation. I don't see a good outcome as its been set up
Finally getting rid of Garrett would be a good outcome. More than good.

I don't know if Jerry would do it though. It will be the hardest firing he's ever made -- harder than Landry or Jimmy, as messed up as that is.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Garrett pulled them out this past season, so I see no reason why he wouldn't be given the same chance. I think he gets the whole season barring a really bad first half, like 1-7 or 0-8.
Garrett pulled them out? The FO did by trading for Cooper after Linehan and Garrett said WR by committee was the way to go lol.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Jerry's always had an itchy trigger finger with coaches and it seems Jason's worn out his welcome. Anything less than 4-4 at the midway point and I'd say he's gone and Richard takes over.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
IF he's serious and he thinks he may have something in Richard JG may go the way Wade did. If that happens and Richard doesn't audition well then there's no loss and you know to look elsewhere when the season ends.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The team usually knuckles-up for Garrett when it's on the line. I think we've got a good team and that there's no reason to expect a down year if nothing really unusual happens in terms of injuries in camp. We're getting Frederick back, and a couple of players we didn't get to see much of in 2018 (I'm thinking of Cedrick Wilson and Dorrance Armstrong here). If we don't sit on our hands are actually go out and actively upgrade the team by adding a passing game RB or a slot WR with some speed, a TE who can block, and a decent swing OT, I think we ought to have another NFCE-contenting season that gets into the playoffs. From there, who knows what Jerry is going to do? I know a lot of people think its NFCCG or bust for Garrett, but I don't think that's a lock.

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
Hot sports opinion out of the gate...I like it! Although I don’t agree. If this team has another 3-5 start, I don’t think it’s out of the question Jerry may pull the guillotine lever.

It's very very rare that a head coach gets canned mid season. Yes it happened with Phillips but they would have to go 0-7 (or something along those lines) for Garrett to get canned mid season.... Don't get me wrong, Jerry would have my full support if he did that but I just don't see that happening.. The team would have to quit from day 1 (like they did with Phillips)...

Batman1980

Reaction score
The team usually knuckles-up for Garrett when it's on the line. I think we've got a good team and that there's no reason to expect a down year if nothing really unusual happens in terms of injuries in camp. We're getting Frederick back, and a couple of players we didn't get to see much of in 2018 (I'm thinking of Cedrick Wilson and Dorrance Armstrong here). If we don't sit on our hands are actually go out and actively upgrade the team by adding a passing game RB or a slot WR with some speed, a TE who can block, and a decent swing OT, I think we ought to have another NFCE-contenting season that gets into the playoffs. From there, who knows what Jerry is going to do? I know a lot of people think its NFCCG or bust for Garrett, but I don't think that's a lock.

Yeah they sure played like his job was on the line against Los Angeles, oh wait. :p

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett pulled them out? The FO did by trading for Cooper after Linehan and Garrett said WR by committee was the way to go lol.
Interesting, because we don't know who was responsible for that but they did take a run at Watkins and he spurned them for KC.

Even if we don't think much of Garrett and/or Linehan, do we think any NFL coaches would tell their owner that they're just fine with a QB struggling through the latter part of the season going into the next one with a bunch of #2's?

phil, what we don't know is what Garrett and/or Linehan think about Prescott as the QB1. The word was the guy in his corner to even get drafted was Wade Wilson and they tried to get two other QB's ahead of him. And Moore had to get injured to move him up the chart.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score

What do you guys think?
Ol' JJ prolly just got tired of that good natured ribbing thru text& emails, heckling/ kicking on him from his peered group of equally esteemed fellow franchise owners
( you recall when Rush Limbaugh showed an interest in purchasing the ST.LOUIS RAMS, And the frenzied fluster flocking of quickly maneuvering force's interceding to thwart that ?)

I'm quite comfortable in the belief, that were those irksomely annoying electronic smirk-attacks by JJ's peer group were to cease, it'd still be the same T.C.O.B. from 5 years backo_O

:lmao::lmao2::lmao:

ShortRound

Reaction score
I will say I was hoping for Garrett to succeed, because how many coaches out there would be able to deal with Jerry meddling and always undressing him in the media. Not sure many people could.