What happens to Garrett if this happens?

Hadenough

Reaction score
I’m neither hoping this happens nor predicting it will either...But what happens to Jason Garrett if the team gets off to another slow start in the 2019 season? Say, 2-4 or 3-5?

What happens to the mindset of the players, knowing their HC does not have another year on his contract, and the team struggles early out of the gate? Would this team quit on him knowing Jerry won’t re-up his once favorite adopted son with a mediocre or below season?

We all know this team will be playing a divisional champ schedule, which theoretically means there are less cupcakes on the schedule, although that’s never a guarantee either way. (Some years, it ends up not being as difficult- you just never know year to year) The pressure to win AND win early I think will be one of the bigger storylines as the 2019 season starts. And that’s a good thing. Garrett’s had too many chances IMO anyway.

If this team falters early again like they did last year, I think Jerry might make a change during the season. Maybe he goes with Richard as interim to see if the troops rally around him. Again, I’m not necessarily predicting this will happen, just pondering the “what if”.

One message I believe Jerry has sent that I like- I think he knows the clock is ticking for him and his ability to see another championship. The Amari Cooper trade and the Paul Alexander firing last year sent the message that Jerry wants to win NOW. I don’t think he has the right HC to win with, but maybe he’s finally fed up with the “wait til next year” slogans he’s thrown out for 23 years. Maybe...

What do you guys think?
Trevor Lawrence is what Im thinking!!

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I’m neither hoping this happens nor predicting it will either...But what happens to Jason Garrett if the team gets off to another slow start in the 2019 season? Say, 2-4 or 3-5?

What happens to the mindset of the players, knowing their HC does not have another year on his contract, and the team struggles early out of the gate? Would this team quit on him knowing Jerry won’t re-up his once favorite adopted son with a mediocre or below season?

We all know this team will be playing a divisional champ schedule, which theoretically means there are less cupcakes on the schedule, although that’s never a guarantee either way. (Some years, it ends up not being as difficult- you just never know year to year) The pressure to win AND win early I think will be one of the bigger storylines as the 2019 season starts. And that’s a good thing. Garrett’s had too many chances IMO anyway.

If this team falters early again like they did last year, I think Jerry might make a change during the season. Maybe he goes with Richard as interim to see if the troops rally around him. Again, I’m not necessarily predicting this will happen, just pondering the “what if”.

One message I believe Jerry has sent that I like- I think he knows the clock is ticking for him and his ability to see another championship. The Amari Cooper trade and the Paul Alexander firing last year sent the message that Jerry wants to win NOW. I don’t think he has the right HC to win with, but maybe he’s finally fed up with the “wait til next year” slogans he’s thrown out for 23 years. Maybe...

What do you guys think?
The players believe in JG....its most of the fans that dont believe in JG. Just based on what Ive seen from JG in adverse situations over the coarse of a season he will work out. The only time he really didnt was his only losing season when Romo got hurt.

cern

Reaction score
too many variables to decide now. we heard a lot of talk about promoting Richard to hc last season. what if moore turns out to be a phenomenal oc? other teams will want to hire him away, possibly as a hc. if that's the case, do we give garrett the pink slip and promote moore to hc?? will that bother Richard?? interesting times ahead.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The players believe in JG....its most of the fans that dont believe in JG. Just based on what Ive seen from JG in adverse situations over the coarse of a season he will work out. The only time he really didnt was his only losing season when Romo got hurt.
You may be right that it works out. But when you say, “the only time he didn’t was was his only losing season”....I have to disagree. Those 3 straight non-playoff 8-8 seasons didn’t work nor the 5-11 season you referenced or the 9-7 season in 2017 where they didn’t make the playoffs.

In Garrett’s 8 full seasons, making the playoffs only 3 times in my book is not good enough. Garrett’s been occasionally good but mostly mediocre- two playoff wins in 8 seasons is not very good.

Richmond Cowboy

Reaction score
Hot sports opinion out of the gate...I like it! Although I don’t agree. If this team has another 3-5 start, I don’t think it’s out of the question Jerry may pull the guillotine lever.

I think if he is considering Richard as an option then he would pull the trigger to give Kris an opportunity as interim coach. If he has someone else in mind that would not be available until the end of the season then he probably waits.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
You may be right that it works out. But when you say, “the only time he didn’t was was his only losing season”....I have to disagree. Those 3 straight non-playoff 8-8 seasons didn’t work nor the 5-11 season you referenced or the 9-7 season in 2017 where they didn’t make the playoffs.

In Garrett’s 8 full seasons, making the playoffs only 3 times in my book is not good enough. Garrett’s been occasionally good but mostly mediocre- two playoff wins in 8 seasons is not very good.
I really attribute the 8-8 seasons to Romo mishaps in big games; but if JG did not have so much trust in Romo who knows what would have happen those seasons. 9-7 season was a weird season with Zeke.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
,,,er,,, 'copy',,,er,,,:rolleyes:

o_O

links18

Reaction score
Garrett pulled them out this past season, so I see no reason why he wouldn't be given the same chance. I think he gets the whole season barring a really bad first half, like 1-7 or 0-8.

Amari Cooper and the defense turned the season around.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That’s a fair point, but where I disagree is I think Jerry is running out of patience. A slow start probably means your team isn’t going to get that coveted #1 or #2 seed which has been gold the last 5 years (except in Dallas of course, ugh) If this team is just a Wild card or #4 seed division winner....Hmmmm....not sure that’s going to be good enough.

I could certainly be wrong. But I think the message JJ is finally sending is- win at least an NFC championship or adios. And that’s probably going to require a #1 or 2 seed.
With all due respect I think you are wrong there’s a message being sent by Jerry that it’s a NFC Championship or Bust season for Garrett.

Where do fans even come up with this narration? Lol

If Jerry’s running out of patience who’s his next puppet going to be? He can’t even find a suitable OC replacement.

I understand fans are frustrated but they aren’t thinking our dysfunctional situation through.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Throw away year? I sure hope that sort of thinking does not exist on the team.

Not openly it doesn’t but you don’t make your head coach a lame duck when you are expecting to do great things in the upcoming season. I suspect they will not spend money on free agents that aren’t their own and we will see other signs they are preparing for a fresh start in 2020.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Amari Cooper and the defense turned the season around.
I'll wholeheartedly concur with that pointedly astute observation, Man, we all knew, they'd been putting together ( slowly, yet finally) the fixings to brew up the semblance of an significant defensive unit to field,,,yet, that #19 mid-season acquisition was
(
other than seeing it as: a two month late birthday gift from an absentmindedly seldom seen estranged fathero_O) a master stroke of sheer BRILLIANT FOOTBALLISH fortitude fired fourth from our FOOTBALL DAD:thumbup:

:starspin::starspin::starspin::starspin::starspin:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With all due respect I think you are wrong there’s a message being sent by Jerry that it’s a NFC Championship or Bust season for Garrett.

Where do fans even come up with this narration? Lol

If Jerry’s running out of patience who’s his next puppet going to be? He can’t even find a suitable OC replacement.

I understand fans are frustrated but they aren’t thinking our dysfunctional situation through.
Greggo some have argued in the DFW media, like Jean-Jacques Taylor for example, that Jerry is lining up either Kris Richard or Kellen Moore as the next in line.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Fire him now and just get it over with. Be the first team with an interim coach before Free agency and the draft. lol
We don’t believe in Free Agency anyway. Just ask the genius Stephen Jones.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Greggo some have argued in the DFW media, like Jean-Jacques Taylor for example, that Jerry is lining up either Kris Richard or Kellen Moore as the next in line.
I understand but again where is this NFC championship or Bust rhetoric coming from?

I haven’t seen Jerry mention as such.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I can't help but wonder if Jerry's son, Stephen, talked him into this business of not giving JG an extension until he proves himself capable of delivering more than we've seen in two decades plus. Whatever the answer to that question might be, let's hope the intent to foster improvement is a legitimate one and not one that will gradually evaporate into something less. I truly believe the timing for this change of approach is totally justified.

Therein lies one of many things that promise to make the upcoming 2019 season more interesting than any one season has been in quite some time. If Garrett and Moore falter, let's see if change is facilitated as we've been let to believe it might. I look forward to seeing if the answer to that question will be forthcoming and I'm seriously believing that most of you are, too.

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Finally getting rid of Garrett would be a good outcome. More than good.

I don't know if Jerry would do it though. It will be the hardest firing he's ever made -- harder than Landry or Jimmy, as messed up as that is.
I think he will. I am not sure if the next guy will perform any better under jerry. we have yet to see anyone do that after jimmy Johnson, regardless of whom, pedigree and experience.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think we are trying too hard to find things to think about. There are always multiple scenarios we can imagine based in a multitude of circumstances that might exist at any given point in time. No need to play out all of them.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think we are trying too hard to find things to think about. There are always multiple scenarios we can imagine based in a multitude of circumstances that might exist at any given point in time. No need to play out all of them.
I’m interested in the multiple scenarios you mentioned. I listed one here. What are some of the other scenarios?