What happens to the most valuable sports franchise in the world, when one day Jerry passes?

basel90

Reaction score
Jerry is 80. He has done great things for the NFL and the cowboys (in the 90s especially) , and his legacy is cemented in so many ways, mostly good , but lately bad. His management style has failed spectacularly on the field.
I wonder what happens the day after he is gone? will it be a smooth transition and Stephen takes control ? or will there be a Denver Broncos like power struggle over ownership and decisions among the sons and daughter?
I am sure jerry has put something in his will to avoid the denver fiasco and probably stephen has the final control over the team management. But i wonder if Stephen will continue the same operating model of the most valuable sports franchise in the world. One that has not been to a CCG or a SB in 27 years. This is unchartered territory for top 10 global franchises by any means ; from soccer to basketball to baseball to football ( see Forbes list of the most valuable sports franchises)
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeoz...t-valuable-sports-teams-2021/?sh=7baf437a3e9e

never has a top 20 most valuable franchise fail so miserably. (The Knicks are on that list but made the finals in 1999), Liverpool won the title in 2019 after a long 30 year drought) . When you look at the top 25 , there are teams doing worse ( the washington Commanders and the NY jets and the houston texans.

I love to believe the cowboys will end the drought soon. I am sick telling my friends overseas and domestically that our team has been on a 27 year drought, The record drought in the top 15 most valuable teams is 30 years ( Liverpool , a soccer team) .

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Jerry is 80. He has done great things for the NFL and the cowboys (in the 90s especially) , and his legacy is cemented in so many ways, mostly good , but lately bad. His management style has failed spectacularly on the field.
I wonder what happens the day after he is gone? will it be a smooth transition and Stephen takes control ? or will there be a Denver Broncos like power struggle over ownership and decisions among the sons and daughter?
I am sure jerry has put something in his will to avoid the denver fiasco and probably stephen has the final control over the team management. But i wonder if Stephen will continue the same operating model of the most valuable sports franchise in the world. One that has not been to a CCG or a SB in 27 years. This is unchartered territory for top 10 global franchises by any means ; from soccer to basketball to baseball to football ( see Forbes list of the most valuable sports franchises)
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeoz...t-valuable-sports-teams-2021/?sh=7baf437a3e9e

never has a top 20 most valuable franchise fail so miserably. (The Knicks are on that list but made the finals in 1999), Liverpool won the title in 2019 after a long 30 year drought) . When you look at the top 25 , there are teams doing worse ( the washington Commanders and the NY jets and the houston texans.

I love to believe the cowboys will end the drought soon. I am sick telling my friends overseas and domestically that our team has been on a 27 year drought, The record drought in the top 15 most valuable teams is 30 years ( Liverpool , a soccer team) .
Jerry has been blessed with Romo and Dak.
Once Jerry and Dak are gone, the losing is gonna pile up.
The heat will get turned up.
I think Stephen hires a GM at that point.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

You’re all over the place with this post.

basel90

Reaction score
I think Stephen is cheap. He’s going to be worse than Jerry. At least Jerry spent money back in the day.
if Stephen does not show progress over what jerry was doing ( which is not that hard LOL ). then the family presssure and the fan pressure may force the hiring of a professional GM. i am sure the family is not happy with the field results but cannot say anything at the moment.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

What happens to the most valuable sports franchise in the world, when one day Jerry passes?​

source.gif

baltcowboy

Reaction score

I remember hearing Jerry Jr, Charlotte, and Stephen will basically share control of the team. The only difference is Jerry won’t be the face of the team. I have a feeling one of the grandchildren will step in and take the Vice President position that open up with Stephen taking daddy’s GM spot.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

First of all, let us pray novenas tha the sad day never comes.

In any event, chaps, Jerald has enough money to assure tha doctors keep him alive until Dak wins a Lombardini Trophy and is interviewd by Bryant Gumbel in a ski lodge.

But, mates, me point is the bidness will continue as a Jones enterprise, led by Stephen and the Spare.
It will be a smooth transition. Money buys good corporation consultants and attorneys. Very smooth transition.
Smother than Archie Bell

Flamma

Reaction score
It will get worse unless a real GM gets hired…….
That's the sad part. They don't need a real GM for their simple model. All they really do is manage the cap. If at some point they want to do more than just that, I too suggest hiring a GM. Hiring a GM without changing their model is pointless.

GINeric

Reaction score
I wish the family would sell the team to Magic Johnson and/or Jay-Z. I guarantee we would be much more successful annually.