What happens to the most valuable sports franchise in the world, when one day Jerry passes?

jsb357

Reaction score
Probably start winning.
heston.gif

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Since Booger has been grooming his son in the fine art of spinning and deflecting blame, I expect no changes.

We’d have a better chance of taking out The Hills Have Eyes family with fly swatters than looking forward to no more Jones. The grandson, mostly mistaken for a serial killer, is somewhere in line.

JayFord

Reaction score
can we stop saying the Cowboys fail so miserably

we arent the Lions or Browns, commanders vikings or the like

we win games and usually somewhere between 9-13 a year the issue is the superbowl we cant get too

and sports is entertainment....the cowboys provide entertainment people want to see them lose if that cant be managed after Jerry then whoever is running it after Jerry should quit

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Jerry is 80. He has done great things for the NFL and the cowboys (in the 90s especially) , and his legacy is cemented in so many ways, mostly good , but lately bad. His management style has failed spectacularly on the field.
I wonder what happens the day after he is gone? will it be a smooth transition and Stephen takes control ? or will there be a Denver Broncos like power struggle over ownership and decisions among the sons and daughter?
I am sure jerry has put something in his will to avoid the denver fiasco and probably stephen has the final control over the team management. But i wonder if Stephen will continue the same operating model of the most valuable sports franchise in the world. One that has not been to a CCG or a SB in 27 years. This is unchartered territory for top 10 global franchises by any means ; from soccer to basketball to baseball to football ( see Forbes list of the most valuable sports franchises)
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeoz...t-valuable-sports-teams-2021/?sh=7baf437a3e9e

never has a top 20 most valuable franchise fail so miserably. (The Knicks are on that list but made the finals in 1999), Liverpool won the title in 2019 after a long 30 year drought) . When you look at the top 25 , there are teams doing worse ( the washington Commanders and the NY jets and the houston texans.

I love to believe the cowboys will end the drought soon. I am sick telling my friends overseas and domestically that our team has been on a 27 year drought, The record drought in the top 15 most valuable teams is 30 years ( Liverpool , a soccer team) .

Can't wait!!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
can we stop saying the Cowboys fail so miserably

we arent the Lions or Browns, commanders vikings or the like

we win games and usually somewhere between 9-13 a year the issue is the superbowl we cant get too

and sports is entertainment....the cowboys provide entertainment people want to see them lose if that cant be managed after Jerry then whoever is running it after Jerry should quit

We are them, but with an owner that makes it seem like we're teams that are actually competing deep into the playoffs every year

basel90

Reaction score
Comparing the NBA with football is just damn stupid. Soft cap and a 1 2man roster where 1 dominant player makes you a top team. Dallas has been so bad for so long, and yet there are only .... how many teams with more titles? AND more than 50% of the league has gone longer than Dallas without a title. Enough already.

And what will happen when Jerry finally passes to the Dallas Cowboys? Nothing.... business as usual.
I would argue a QB has a big impact on a team , just like the NBA , so your claim that this is stupid may be too naive ..
Have you seen how Brady affects the Patriots ? Or the Bucs ?
Or Joe Burrows the bengals
Be objective and call it what it is . 27 years without a CCG or SB is bottom line futile .

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Jerry is 80. He has done great things for the NFL and the cowboys (in the 90s especially) , and his legacy is cemented in so many ways, mostly good , but lately bad. His management style has failed spectacularly on the field.
I wonder what happens the day after he is gone? will it be a smooth transition and Stephen takes control ? or will there be a Denver Broncos like power struggle over ownership and decisions among the sons and daughter?
I am sure jerry has put something in his will to avoid the denver fiasco and probably stephen has the final control over the team management. But i wonder if Stephen will continue the same operating model of the most valuable sports franchise in the world. One that has not been to a CCG or a SB in 27 years. This is unchartered territory for top 10 global franchises by any means ; from soccer to basketball to baseball to football ( see Forbes list of the most valuable sports franchises)
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeoz...t-valuable-sports-teams-2021/?sh=7baf437a3e9e

never has a top 20 most valuable franchise fail so miserably. (The Knicks are on that list but made the finals in 1999), Liverpool won the title in 2019 after a long 30 year drought) . When you look at the top 25 , there are teams doing worse ( the washington Commanders and the NY jets and the houston texans.

I love to believe the cowboys will end the drought soon. I am sick telling my friends overseas and domestically that our team has been on a 27 year drought, The record drought in the top 15 most valuable teams is 30 years ( Liverpool , a soccer team) .
Nothing. The Dallas Cowboys were the no.1 sport franchise before Jerry Jones bought it.

Unlike Clint Murchinson, Jerry Jones has done nothing but bring to Cowboys to futility and make the Cowboys the Jonesboys. Murchinson won Super Bowls, built a stadium, and watch the Cowboys be built into America's Team. Jones did nothing but build a Stadium, destroyed a dynasty, and make it all about him. His passing will change nothing to the value of something that has been no. 1 since the late 1970's.

The Dallas Cowboys were already no.1 and was no.1 even with Bum Bright as a owner.

basel90

Reaction score
Honestly, what I think happens is through stories and testimonies from many, many folks, this fan base ends up respecting Jerry more than they ever have before. I believe that your going to hear so many stories about Jerry going out of his way for people when he didn’t have to, particularly players, that it’s going to make some regret the things they said about him when he was alive and regret not appreciating him more. It doesn’t make him a great GM, but it makes him a kind hearted human being and that is so much more important in the grand scheme of life.
Good points on philanthropic aspects and Jerry is indeed a genuine soul . But his ego and GM tactics have not worked .
It is a different perspective.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I think Jerry has the whole Jimmy/Jerry thing stuck in his craw and won't ever let it go. He's going to win a SB Jerry's way.
I don't get the impression Stephen has that mindset. Stephen wants to win and he'll be fine just being a popular successful owner.

I feel Jerry's almost there as he gets older and time takes its toll.
In fact, my theory is Jerry is setting MM up for failure and is preparing to turn the team over to Quinn early in the season. Quinn has shown he can motivate these guys to leave it all on the field . That's rare in today's NFL.

So the bottom line, I'm hopeful more than anytime in the last 25 years
Even more than Jerry, I see Stephen as wanting to make money. He's about the bottom line.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Since Booger has been grooming his son in the fine art of spinning and deflecting blame, I expect no changes.

We’d have a better chance of taking out The Hills Have Eyes family with fly swatters than looking forward to no more Jones. The grandson, mostly mistaken for a serial killer, is somewhere in line.
Mistaken?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Whenever Jerry moves on the the "great beyond," It should prove interesting to see what Stephen does in terms of naming a GM to replace him. I'm certain there are many among the fans of this team who would like nothing more than to see that happen. Please join me in hoping for that to come about whenever the time comes that Jerry is no longer with us. If Stephen is wise, he should see to it that he appoints a GM of his choice to allow this team to be blessed with the caliber of management that a storied franchise rightly deserves. I'm sure that he'd be well respected if that were to come about when the time arrives to provide the level of leadership that the Dallas Cowboys so desperately need.

Last edited:

Jarntt

Reaction score
I've now come around to thinking Stephen is worse for the organization than Jerry...so I guess that sums up my thoughts on the topic...

Jarntt

Reaction score
Thinking of Jerry's mortality, how will we know when he starts getting senile?