What happens to the most valuable sports franchise in the world, when one day Jerry passes?

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Only good things would happen when that POS no longer has a strangle hold on my favorite team.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
have a feeling charlotte and the other siblings may talk stephen into hiring a professional GM and take a step back . Somethings they don't dare doing now with Jerry. This scenario is likely if the cowboys don't have success under stephen's management.
I agree, but for a different reason. I think Stephen will just be too lazy to want to commit to a full time job...Although he will probably stick his nose in a speak to the press from time to time.

He's a silver spoon idiot.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Personally, I don’t think the problem is Jerry the gm. With consultants at hand, Jerry has had strong rosters that always seem to have a weakness where injury or lack of production hurts. Another gm would have made better coaching decisions early on in the drought, but Jerry the gm has been pretty solid in the last decade.

I don’t think Jerry the owner who opens the purse strings and is willing to pay his stars is the problem.

The biggest current problem is Jerry the media hound. The camera and mics search for him, find him too easily, and he never says “that’s a coaching decision” or “you’ll have to wait and see.” Jerry loves the attention, and he talks way too much about every topic possible. It’s like he’s the freakin’ commissioner of the league. He comments on his team, his coaches, other teams, rules, whatever anyone asks. It’s a distraction.

raven55

Reaction score
jerry did nothing for the cowboys, jimmy put the team together anf after 27 years where are they at in the same league as half the teams like detroit and the other super bowl win less teams and it will be another 27 years if lucky to get to the big game beause of what jerry leaves behind lil jerry and he will be worse bank on it

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I wish the family would sell the team to Magic Johnson and/or Jay-Z. I guarantee we would be much more successful annually.
Where do you get these things?

Successful?
Team already is, old boy.
On the field success?
If so, Why is an NBA guy and a mainstream producer such as Jay Z better suited to running an NFL team?
'Splain, Lucy!

RS12

Reaction score
Again Jerry is an 80 year old Billionaire who has access to the best doctors and healthcare providers in the world. I expected him to be around at least another decade, then once he does die his body will live another three years past that just off of the alcohol in his system.

Who knows how Stephen and the rest of the family will feel about the team by then.

Star Trek: Discovery's Captain Pike Explained: Who Is the Original Captain  of the Enterprise Played by Anson Mount? - IGN

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
The succession plan seems pretty well settled. Stephen will be the face of ownership and very likely the GM. All 3 kids are going to receive a monster payout from their old man. The Cowboys will remain a family business for at least another generation.

I don't expect anything in the way of ownership drama. Jerry has a massive fortune even aside from the Cowboys, so there will be plenty of money to go around. It's not like some ownership battles we've seen where all of the estate eggs are essentially in one basket. And Charlotte Jones married a billionaire, so she's set.

Last edited:

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
The only savior would be Charlotte.....she is smart enough to hire qualified people, top notch, to micromanage the Cowboys ...with her just overseeing on a macro basis. She has her hands full with all the artwork as you've heard, as well as DCC. Stephen is stupid enough to think he knows what he's doing just like dear old dad.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think we can be fairly certain that none of the siblings have the same passion their father has insisting on becoming a football celebrity in same flamboyant fashion.

It’s the core reason he wanted to become a NFL owner since he left Arkansas initially pursuing purchasing the Chargers in the 60’s.

Assuming the siblings will inherit equal shares after their parents die it’s likely Stephen will assume the Pres position and hire a GM.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Thinking of Jerry's mortality, how will we know when he starts getting senile?
I honestly think he's there. Not even trolling or looking for likes.

His press conferences since 2018-ish haven't really been that coherent. Jerry has long been known for his malapropisms, but he would use them as an odd way to make a point. More and more, it seems like he doesn't get to a point, he just wanders or rambles.

raven55

Reaction score
jerry's more into his court case right now, cowboys are gonna take a back seat. the little ***** wants some easy money from him and she's like an old female dog goes for anything with the tail lifted can you imagine an nearly 80 year old man forcing a kiss has to be just a money game

Motorola

Reaction score
Jerry is 80. He has done great things for the NFL and the cowboys (in the 90s especially) , and his legacy is cemented in so many ways, mostly good , but lately bad. His management style has failed spectacularly on the field.
I wonder what happens the day after he is gone? will it be a smooth transition and Stephen takes control ? or will there be a Denver Broncos like power struggle over ownership and decisions among the sons and daughter?
I am sure jerry has put something in his will to avoid the denver fiasco and probably stephen has the final control over the team management. But i wonder if Stephen will continue the same operating model of the most valuable sports franchise in the world. One that has not been to a CCG or a SB in 27 years. This is unchartered territory for top 10 global franchises by any means ; from soccer to basketball to baseball to football ( see Forbes list of the most valuable sports franchises)
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeoz...t-valuable-sports-teams-2021/?sh=7baf437a3e9e

never has a top 20 most valuable franchise fail so miserably. (The Knicks are on that list but made the finals in 1999), Liverpool won the title in 2019 after a long 30 year drought) . When you look at the top 25 , there are teams doing worse ( the washington Commanders and the NY jets and the houston texans.

I love to believe the cowboys will end the drought soon. I am sick telling my friends overseas and domestically that our team has been on a 27 year drought, The record drought in the top 15 most valuable teams is 30 years ( Liverpool , a soccer team) .
The Jones children have been involved in running varied departments, entities, sections, etc. of the franchise since their days in college.

Expect Stephen, Charlotte, and Jerry Jr. to become tri-owners of the world's most profitable and valuable sports team. Stephen will be the franchise president, Charlotte becomes the CEO, Jerry Jr continues as an executive VP, but acquires a more prominent role beside his two siblings.
However... I would not be surprised if down the line people outside of the family will be hired for the positions of GM and Director of Player Personnel (first up --- Will McClay).

Last edited:

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
lmao, like carl-lotte is going to win us crap. sheesh, why not jerry's wife taking over? She would hire an art guy to run the team. It could be a wonderful musical.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to the day we start getting some answers to the topic question....

Go ahead and call me a cold hearted whatever, but nothing is going to change in this organization until nature takes over and forces them to happen.

NeathBlue

Reaction score
Hopefully, a consortium who have a genuine passion and knowledge of sport put together a bid, so large that the family decides to sell the team…
You're probably talking about a bid in the region of $10 billion by the time Jerry croaks it, maybe even more, and even then they might decide to not sell.