What happens to the most valuable sports franchise in the world, when one day Jerry passes?

Bing

Reaction score
Again Jerry is an 80 year old Billionaire who has access to the best doctors and healthcare providers in the world. I expected him to be around at least another decade, then once he does die his body will live another three years past that just off of the alcohol in his system.

Who knows how Stephen and the rest of the family will feel about the team by then.

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
Jerry is 80. He has done great things for the NFL and the cowboys (in the 90s especially) , and his legacy is cemented in so many ways, mostly good , but lately bad. His management style has failed spectacularly on the field.
I wonder what happens the day after he is gone? will it be a smooth transition and Stephen takes control ? or will there be a Denver Broncos like power struggle over ownership and decisions among the sons and daughter?
I am sure jerry has put something in his will to avoid the denver fiasco and probably stephen has the final control over the team management. But i wonder if Stephen will continue the same operating model of the most valuable sports franchise in the world. One that has not been to a CCG or a SB in 27 years. This is unchartered territory for top 10 global franchises by any means ; from soccer to basketball to baseball to football ( see Forbes list of the most valuable sports franchises)
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeoz...t-valuable-sports-teams-2021/?sh=7baf437a3e9e

never has a top 20 most valuable franchise fail so miserably. (The Knicks are on that list but made the finals in 1999), Liverpool won the title in 2019 after a long 30 year drought) . When you look at the top 25 , there are teams doing worse ( the washington Commanders and the NY jets and the houston texans.

I love to believe the cowboys will end the drought soon. I am sick telling my friends overseas and domestically that our team has been on a 27 year drought, The record drought in the top 15 most valuable teams is 30 years ( Liverpool , a soccer team) .
Honestly, what I think happens is through stories and testimonies from many, many folks, this fan base ends up respecting Jerry more than they ever have before. I believe that your going to hear so many stories about Jerry going out of his way for people when he didn’t have to, particularly players, that it’s going to make some regret the things they said about him when he was alive and regret not appreciating him more. It doesn’t make him a great GM, but it makes him a kind hearted human being and that is so much more important in the grand scheme of life.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Jerry is 80. He has done great things for the NFL and the cowboys (in the 90s especially) , and his legacy is cemented in so many ways, mostly good , but lately bad. His management style has failed spectacularly on the field.
I wonder what happens the day after he is gone? will it be a smooth transition and Stephen takes control ? or will there be a Denver Broncos like power struggle over ownership and decisions among the sons and daughter?
I am sure jerry has put something in his will to avoid the denver fiasco and probably stephen has the final control over the team management. But i wonder if Stephen will continue the same operating model of the most valuable sports franchise in the world. One that has not been to a CCG or a SB in 27 years. This is unchartered territory for top 10 global franchises by any means ; from soccer to basketball to baseball to football ( see Forbes list of the most valuable sports franchises)
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeoz...t-valuable-sports-teams-2021/?sh=7baf437a3e9e

never has a top 20 most valuable franchise fail so miserably. (The Knicks are on that list but made the finals in 1999), Liverpool won the title in 2019 after a long 30 year drought) . When you look at the top 25 , there are teams doing worse ( the washington Commanders and the NY jets and the houston texans.

I love to believe the cowboys will end the drought soon. I am sick telling my friends overseas and domestically that our team has been on a 27 year drought, The record drought in the top 15 most valuable teams is 30 years ( Liverpool , a soccer team) .
Comparing the NBA with football is just damn stupid. Soft cap and a 1 2man roster where 1 dominant player makes you a top team. Dallas has been so bad for so long, and yet there are only .... how many teams with more titles? AND more than 50% of the league has gone longer than Dallas without a title. Enough already.

And what will happen when Jerry finally passes to the Dallas Cowboys? Nothing.... business as usual.

Steve007

Reaction score

No change. Stephen is running most of the operations now. He has been trained by Jerry.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Honestly, what I think happens is through stories and testimonies from many, many folks, this fan base ends up respecting Jerry more than they ever have before. I believe that your going to hear so many stories about Jerry going out of his way for people when he didn’t have to, particularly players, that it’s going to make some regret the things they said about him when he was alive and regret not appreciating him more. It doesn’t make him a great GM, but it makes him a kind hearted human being and that is so much more important in the grand scheme of life.
I 100% agree with this!

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Jerry will be a head in a jar of liquid and tubes ala ‘Futurama’.

‘I said I want to sign Dak to a third extension! $100M/year? He’s worth it. That kid is like family!’

Yep, Jerry… JUST like family.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Jerry has the whole Jimmy/Jerry thing stuck in his craw and won't ever let it go. He's going to win a SB Jerry's way.
I don't get the impression Stephen has that mindset. Stephen wants to win and he'll be fine just being a popular successful owner.

I feel Jerry's almost there as he gets older and time takes its toll.
In fact, my theory is Jerry is setting MM up for failure and is preparing to turn the team over to Quinn early in the season. Quinn has shown he can motivate these guys to leave it all on the field . That's rare in today's NFL.

So the bottom line, I'm hopeful more than anytime in the last 25 years

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
have a feeling charlotte and the other siblings may talk stephen into hiring a professional GM and take a step back . Somethings they don't dare doing now with Jerry. This scenario is likely if the cowboys don't have success under stephen's management.
Like I've been saying.
Charlotte in charge of all things Cowboys. And holds the marketing / sales.
Stephen in charge of all football.
Jerry Jr. in charge of special projects.

Under this structure GM hired.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Nothing will change post-Jerry. His kids are a chip off the ole block. Stephen, Jerry Jr., and Charlotte will maintain the status quo for the memory of their dad.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
Under Stephen we become the most valuable franchise in the XFL ?