What I think went wrong

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
That's a good synopsis of what went wrong. There is a bit more to it but that hit most of the basic high points(or should I say low points of the season). Wasting resources on a knucklehead like Randle was just dumb. DMC should have been the lead RB all along. He hasn't been perfect but he's been good enough. After his inferior performance last year, sticking with Weedon as our B/U QB was a huge mistake. That same mistake can't be made again with Cassel. Dez should have been franchised. He'll never live up to the contract he signed.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Gotta disagree 100% on Dez. He signed July 15th and probably has negative body fat. I watched his offseason workout videos and he was in shape. The foot injury was a fluke. Was Edelman not in game shape when it happened to him?

The season ended in Philly when Hicks landed on Romo's shoulder.

Think you should reread the Dez part because ur trying to debate points im not even saying

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Teams figured out this offense after one season. we used to be able to Dunkin dunk pass at 3 yards and then run 10 yards after the catch, the running lanes for murray were wide open. Now everybody's playing us tight and challenging us to go deep, we don't have a quarterback that the capable of this. we either have to change our offense or get somebody to throw the ball down the field. It's that simple.
Only things teams figured out was Dallas didnt have Romo. Bring the house. Teams figured them out last yr too. They just couldnt do anything about that. Dallas missed the two biggest parts tho this yr. Romo and a RB who could run behind this scheme

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
I wasn't trying to ridicule him or compare him to anyone. And he's not the only one who writes long posts.

I just check out when I see long posts. Not trying to be a smarty pants. Just trying to offer a suggestion.

Me too regarding the long 30 paragraph posts. I'm positive they are well thought out just because of length if nothing else but I can't read all that.

But to each his own. I choose to scroll on down.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I wasn't trying to ridicule him or compare him to anyone. And he's not the only one who writes long posts.

I just check out when I see long posts. Not trying to be a smarty pants. Just trying to offer a suggestion.

Well if you dont read then dont, but dont comment either and the thread will run its course. theres not a lack of views and responses if you havent noticed.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Think you should reread the Dez part because ur trying to debate points im not even saying

Maybe you should re-read your own novel.

You blame him for being greedy and out of shape.

Both are wrong and had nothing to do with our failures this season.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Can't agree more about position coaches and Doug Free. Both are among the worst in the league. Doug Free is one of the worst starters as far as being consistent. He's got nothing left.

Free has looked real bad in games but has looked like a healthy free in others. I just dont think he can get his body ready for 16 weeks anymore.

robjay04

Reaction score
These sort of contract disputes happen so regularly I have a hard time faulting that. What happened this year is Romo got hurt and the coaching staff's lack of ability has been exposed. It's that simple. Sure, there are any number of other factors, but if you want the single biggest issue, that's it.

Yeah, this Dez issue is just way over exaggerated. Justin Houston and Demaryius Thomas all took their franchise tag to the limit. Neither participated in mini camps. Only difference is that Dez "talked about" holding out games. It never got that far because a deal was done.

As far as Murray, it's over...he left for the money, Dallas didn't choose to part ways, they chose not to overpay a running back. If anyone is to blame for Murray leaving, it would be Marion Barber and his contract that changed the way the team looks at signing power backs, or any back, long term with large guarantees.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Maybe you should re-read your own novel.

You blame him for being greedy and out of shape.

Both are wrong and had nothing to do with our failures this season.

I said he wasnt in NFL football shape. Two different things. Then saying he not in shape.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
That's a good synopsis of what went wrong. There is a bit more to it but that hit most of the basic high points(or should I say low points of the season). Wasting resources on a knucklehead like Randle was just dumb. DMC should have been the lead RB all along. He hasn't been perfect but he's been good enough. After his inferior performance last year, sticking with Weedon as our B/U QB was a huge mistake. That same mistake can't be made again with Cassel. Dez should have been franchised. He'll never live up to the contract he signed.

Dez just needs to focus on his craft. He just doesnt seem to put in the work to get the mental part of the game down. He reminds me so much of Randy Moss. Unstoppable early in his career, but just seemed to drag teams down later in his career.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I don't know if it's even that deep.

Romo played first two games and we looked completely unprepared.

1. Unprepared. Extremely poor play. This led to two near losses.
2. Eventual loss of QB.

I think 1 and 2 are connected,

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Dez just needs to focus on his craft. He just doesnt seem to put in the work to get the mental part of the game down. He reminds me so much of Randy Moss. Unstoppable early in his career, but just seemed to drag teams down later in his career.

He has been relying on his youth and god given athleticism to get by but those things get diminished if you don't put in the work to keep sharp. So yeah, I absolutely agree with you.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Well if you dont read then dont, but dont comment either and the thread will run its course. theres not a lack of views and responses if you havent noticed.

Well, maybe something you said is worth sharing, but it won't get to more people because of the length of your post.

I don't understand why people get so super sensitive when people attempt to offer constructive criticism.

It must be the spirit of the age I guess. Anyway, it was just a suggestion.

coult44

Reaction score
What went wrong this yr? It depends on who you ask. But since these are my thoughts this is what i think went wrong.

It started before the season even started, even before the preseason and even before the draft. Dez Bryant's hold out. The teams unwillingness to speed up that process to meet at a mutual point. Hell they didnt even talk for the longest time. They issued a offer it was denied and it just stayed there. And to be fair to the team thats what they were obligated to do. You dont bid against yourself. Dez Bryants representation was a major fail because they went through a merger and the actual guy who was representing him was too busy deciding if he was going to stay with Roc or move on. Which he moved on but im sure that took precedence over Dez contract situation. And then there was Dez himself. Unwilling to budge and take one for the team and push to get it done sooner. This team kept him out of trouble for yrs with the measures they took to protect their investment from himself. If it wasnt for the Jones' Dez wouldve been suspended atleast 1-2 times. Guy was getting out of control until the team said enough and got him babysitters. And he repaid them by saying I want what i want and im not playing until u give it to me. Instead of being a grown up and appreciating what the team did for him like Tyron Smith did. He took less guranteed money but will get more in the long run. Same deal he got the Cowboys tried to give to Dez. But in Dez selfish materialistic view saw it as im going to get screwed by the most honest team in the NFL. Im sure people around Dez were in his ear. All Dez had to do what look at the Cowboys history for himself and he couldve seen that this team takes care of its players. But then you cant fault a player for having that view because so many teams in sports will cut you when they want to these days. But sadly thats not the Jones' style.

So Dez signs and it's supposed to be back to work. And while yes Dez is always in good shape, he was nowhere near NFL game shape. In TC he looked a little sluggish but he's a superstar and his skill is above the norm so he looked like he was back with no problems. Then the hammies started getting strained and so did his time to get in shape. What Dallas probably shouldve done was what they with other players who have not been ready put them on a PUP list during TC. Thats exactly where he shouldve started to get his body right.

Tony Romo, when he went down this team went down with him. Say what you want but this team knew it was over then. I knew it somewhere in my head but my heart kept telling me now. I held out hope but no, deep down i knew the season was over. I didnt think it would be this bad but it is what it is. Then Romo came back too soon. The minimal amount of time to recover because the Cowboys were right in the thick of the race. That bone wasnt healed. Now i will say this about Romo, the guy is a warrior he will sacrifice his body for the team. But he wont dedicate any time in the weight room or some cardio. Romo im sorry to say is one of the sloppiest looking athletes in the NFL. He looks soft from the neck down. When you have guys like Brady and Rodgers who look the part of a athlete in street clothes Romo looks like a avg Joe. I bet if he dedicated a offseason to the weight room and getting in great shape he would be even better then he is now.

The RB position, was taken for granted by everybody. I agree with observations that McFadden just isnt the right type of back for this team. Oakland ran a similar style of blocking scheme and he just wasnt very good. Think his numbers are somewhat respectable in Dallas because the OL is that much better.

The teams inability to create mismatches on offense. Dez, Beasley and Escobar create so many mismatches for opposing teams that it drives me crazy they dont utilize them. Especially with Escobar, to the point that im started to hope Witten will retire soon. This team is going to end up losing a TE who will go to another team and become a probowler. Already happened with Martellus Bennett.

Doug Free, just got old real quick. He's had his ups and downs this yr, but he's probably seen his better days behind him and going forward if hes on the team should be the swing tackle that can jump right in at either tackle spot for a start here and there.

Posistion coaches for WRs and DBs. These have to be some of the worst in the league. both groups just look to be unprepared for the scheme. I know its not all coaches fault but atleast be able to hide some of the weaknesses.

Passrush, I think Dallas is perfectly fine with the players they have its the approach of the scheme.They can add some young horses to the stable. When we see marinelli be aggresive with the blitz and the coverage this defense overall looks nice. But when he goes conservative this team starts out good but then fades. It didnt help that Dallas played the majorty of their games against teams who use these gimmick offenses that use picks and quick reads. You arent going to get sacks playing these teams because thats why they run that offensive style. To eliminate the sack.

Theres other issues here and there but IMO these are the top issues with this team. Ill post something else in a day or two to voice a little of what i think would help.

Spot On!!

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I don't know if it's even that deep.

Romo played first two games and we looked completely unprepared.

1. Unprepared. Extremely poor play. This led to two near losses.
2. Eventual loss of QB.

I think 1 and 2 are connected,

Ive mentioned Romo and the whole core not seeing any playtime in PS as a problem so many times i didnt feel the need to talk about it again but just add some new tyhings in my head to what i think further went wrong this yr.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
He has been relying on his youth and god given athleticism to get by but those things get diminished if you don't put in the work to keep sharp. So yeah, I absolutely agree with you.

Dont tell that to people here, they get emotional if you say Dez is anything short of zeus

ilykdrama

Reaction score
Free has looked real bad in games but has looked like a healthy free in others. I just dont think he can get his body ready for 16 weeks anymore.

Yeah, can't argue that. Too long of a season for him at his age, I guess.