What if Dak is the one who is holding up the extension or trade?

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
I dont think anyone has considered this?
What if he wants to hit FA ? He is close, and all he has to do is turn down any dallas offer,and wait less than 1 year.

March 25 he would be a FA and can negotiate with any team he wants, and pick the offer he likes best.
Could be the cowboys, or any other team.

Any team that wants him will have to pay big, but no draft picks needed like in a trade.

Cleveland, Denver, both gave up numerous picks for QB's and also payed them big, so Dak as a FA would be much
better than trading for a QB.

Dallas fans have turned on dak, so maybe he wants to say goodbye to them?

I think Dak would be smart to do this, play out this season,be careful to not get hurt, then pick a new team or cowboys and get a huge deal.
Jones boys could not do anything about it if he decided to do this.

I think this could be whats happening and jones boys dont want people to know dak has turned them down and wont talk to them lol.
Maybe.... He may have convinced himself that another team is dumb enough to give him a Deshaun Watson type deal. Who knows why he would think he deserves a deal that insane.

Wildcat711

Reaction score
Well according to Tad he loves the Boys and doesn't want to go anywhere.

Didn't Jerry say something a while back about starting negotiations in TC? (why then I would have no idea)

I still think he gets re-signed.. I just don't see the Jones clan doing anything else.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
What if he wants to hit FA ? He is close, and all he has to do is turn down any dallas offer,and wait less than 1 year.

March 25 he would be a FA and can negotiate with any team he wants, and pick the offer he likes best.

Any team that wants him will have to pay big, but no draft picks needed like in a trade.

Cleveland, Denver, both gave up numerous picks for QB's and also payed them big, so Dak as a FA would be much

I think Dak would be smart to do this, play out this season,be careful to not get hurt, then pick a new team or cowboys and get a huge deal.

I think this could be whats happening and jones boys dont want people to know dak has turned them down and wont talk to them lol.
:facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Chasing6

Reaction score
You are seriously OVERESTIMATING Dak's talent grade.
Do you think there will be a bidding war for his services after all you've witnessed in 8 seasons of beating up dog teams and him folding like a cheap tent vs real teams?? :huh:
Amazing simply amazing.........................:omg:
Yes

Flamma

Reaction score
I think Jerry doesn't want to extend any big named player this year. The genius is at work. So if Dak plays out his final year, what do they do with Lance? It's his final year too.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Playing out this year has multiple downsides.
Injury risk - he looked very healthy this year and suffered no injuries.
Performance risk - depleted offense, particularly the oline. Bad news for a QB.
Cap increase risk - big cap increase this year, likely a smaller one next year.
Low money in 2024 - only 30mil salary, nothing guaranteed, no more bonuses from Dallas. So much more money in hand this year, then money guaranteed in the future, is he gets a contract this year.

Still, he played a year at 2mil rather than take a contract before. It's not like there aren't precedents for him rolling the dice to get more money next year.

Dak's best outcome financially is to squeeze free agent money out of Jerry this summer. No owner brings more financial benefits to a QB *beyond* the contract than Jerry.

That looks like what Dak is aiming for. That they didn't get a contract done *before* free agency tells you that both sides were fine with not making a run this year. The surprise in the contract negotiation is that the Joneses *didn't* mortgage the future to keep the oline stocked for this year, further downgrading possible performance this year, *and* increasing risk to Dak.

I wonder if Dak counted on that one. The Joneses have better set themselves up for moving on from Dak, *and* made playing out the year worse for Dak.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Maybe.... He may have convinced himself that another team is dumb enough to give him a Deshaun Watson type deal. Who knows why he would think he deserves a deal that insane.
Cleveland was dumb enough to pay watson, plus give up draft picks.
Denver was dumb enough to pay wilson, plus give up draft picks.

There will be one to pay dak, and they dont have to give up any draft picks.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Playing out this year has multiple downsides.
Injury risk - he looked very healthy this year and suffered no injuries.
Performance risk - depleted offense, particularly the oline. Bad news for a QB.
Cap increase risk - big cap increase this year, likely a smaller one next year.
Low money in 2024 - only 30mil salary, nothing guaranteed, no more bonuses from Dallas. So much more money in hand this year, then money guaranteed in the future, is he gets a contract this year.

Still, he played a year at 2mil rather than take a contract before. It's not like there aren't precedents for him rolling the dice to get more money next year.

Dak's best outcome financially is to squeeze free agent money out of Jerry this summer. No owner brings more financial benefits to a QB *beyond* the contract than Jerry.

That looks like what Dak is aiming for. That they didn't get a contract done *before* free agency tells you that both sides were fine with not making a run this year. The surprise in the contract negotiation is that the Joneses *didn't* mortgage the future to keep the oline stocked for this year, further downgrading possible performance this year, *and* increasing risk to Dak.

I wonder if Dak counted on that one. The Joneses have better set themselves up for moving on from Dak, *and* made playing out the year worse for Dak.
Dak has bet on himself before, and he could buy ins. for injurys.
I think the reason for jerry doing what he is doing is to get dak to the negotiation table.
I think Dak and france are not talking to the jones boys, and wont even accept an offer sheet, which has to come first.

If Dak doesnt start the talks, the jones boys cant do anything about it. They are helpless and they dont want the public knowing
Dak is not talking to them and that he is in control right now.

So that is why jerry isnt signing anyone. That is why they said it will be TC, because they hope dak will accept a offer sheet at that point
or before then.
They cant trade dak, without him saying ok, but they cant talk to him!!! So thats out.
It all makes sense now if this is what is happening.

I think maybe dak found out they were wanting him to take way less, so he just cut them off and wont talk.

With the way the team is now dak should know he cant win this season, or do better in playoffs, so why would he want to stay here ?
I think he now wants to get to that FA status.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I think Jerry doesn't want to extend any big named player this year. The genius is at work. So if Dak plays out his final year, what do they do with Lance? It's his final year too.
Lance's fate hinges on what happens with dak.
If dak leaves in 25 jerry will sign lance, I heard it would be 22 mil.
Jerry would have to start lance, or have a 22 mil backup qb.

If Dak extends then lance will have to go, or dallas has a 22 mil backup qb.

There is no genius at work lol, aside from dak, if he is the one who wont talk to jones.

Jerry doesnt know if he is going to have dak or not, so he put all big deals and others on hold till he finds out if dak
will talk to them.

To save face jerry is making it look like he is playing hardball. But he isnt, dak is.

plymkr

Reaction score
Dak has bet on himself before, and he could buy ins. for injurys.
I think the reason for jerry doing what he is doing is to get dak to the negotiation table.
I think Dak and france are not talking to the jones boys, and wont even accept an offer sheet, which has to come first.

If Dak doesnt start the talks, the jones boys cant do anything about it. They are helpless and they dont want the public knowing
Dak is not talking to them and that he is in control right now.

So that is why jerry isnt signing anyone. That is why they said it will be TC, because they hope dak will accept a offer sheet at that point
or before then.
They cant trade dak, without him saying ok, but they cant talk to him!!! So thats out.
It all makes sense now if this is what is happening.

I think maybe dak found out they were wanting him to take way less, so he just cut them off and wont talk.

With the way the team is now dak should know he cant win this season, or do better in playoffs, so why would he want to stay here ?
I think he now wants to get to that FA status.
I think your overall premise is correct. Dak may be holding up the extension or trade. I think he wants a Watson type contract. I think he wants 150-200 million upfront or guaranteed. I also think that he’s watched Jerry blink with Zeke and last year Martin. Jerry has shown to fold in negotiations.

I also think Dak’s performance in the playoffs and against playoff teams this season has shaken the confidence of the organization.

I think the best move on Dak’s part is to hold up negotiations until Jerry blinks or bet on himself that he won’t get injured and be a complete FA next season.

The best move, and only move, for the Cowboys is to announce pre-draft that the Cowboys will have an open competition for QB1 in preseason and all 3 QBs will be required to play equal snaps. The 2nd card the organization can play is tell Dak he’s free to negotiate with any teams to see what he can get as far as a contract goes. I’m pretty confident if the Raiders say we’ll give you 150-200 million upfront he would take it. I believe this for 2 reasons. One reason is he would make 150-200 million next year as opposed to 35 or whatever his salary is. Another reason is the Cowboys are in for a down year next season and he may not put up gaudy stats and that might cause teams to not give him as much upfront money. All this is my opinion and speculation.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The cat is finally out of the proverbial bag on Mr. Prescott.
Any team thinking about him will analyze tape and approach Jerry with a box of twinkies.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
If lv is going to trade for him they'd work a deal out. No one is giving up a rumored 4 picks for a one year rental they can't franchise. In that case dak is getting his deal without risk of getting injured this year. Win win imo
It’s a complex trade.

LV likely working on the terms of an extension post Trade.

Lots of pieces.

Someone leaked this to the press.

Not surprised.

People cant keep a secret at work. No one.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

That's a fair assumption and interesting to see how that plays out. It appears that (because, in part, of the last contract), both parties are willing to let the contract play-out.
I'm convinced that Jerry thinks he's 'owed' something (even if it's number of years) due to giving Dak the security of the NTC and no-Franchise Tag. Dak thinks he irreplaceable and Jerry will capitulate.....if not he'll chase the money.

It's going to be the main interest in 2024. The microscope will be on Dak, it'll be interesting to see how he plays with the pressure of the contract year (with an inexperienced Oline/running game) ......he went 2-3 in the last 'contract year'.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
That's a fair assumption and interesting to see how that plays out. It appears that (because, in part, of the last contract), both parties are willing to let the contract play-out.
I'm convinced that Jerry thinks he's 'owed' something (even if it's number of years) due to giving Dak the security of the NTC and no-Franchise Tag. Dak thinks he irreplaceable and Jerry will capitulate.....if not he'll chase the money.

It's going to be the main interest in 2024. The microscope will be on Dak, it'll be interesting to see how he plays with the pressure of the contract year (with an inexperienced Oline/running game) ......he went 2-3 in the last 'contract year'.
I doubt he plays for Dallas ever again.

They don’t want him hurt.

He’s trade bait at the point.

Word is out.