What if Dallas picks a QB at 10?

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
If they draft a QB at 10
You have to immediately trade Dak and Cooper
And get the most highest draft capital you can.

If Dak isn't signed by the time the draft starts I am trading him for draft picks. Maybe you get enough to move you up to #3 where the Dolphins are selecting or striking distance to get Lance in the 7-9 range and you would still have another 1st round pick. If Lance is your pick Andy Dalton for a year would help Lance get where he needs to be.

Beaker42

Reaction score
If Dak isn't signed by the time the draft starts I am trading him for draft picks. Maybe you get enough to move you up to #3 where the Dolphins are selecting or striking distance to get Lance in the 7-9 range and you would still have another 1st round pick. If Lance is your pick Andy Dalton for a year would help Lance get where he needs to be.
At that juncture I’d rather grab Mac Jones than Lance.

Creeper

Reaction score
How does one package Dak to move up? After he's signed to a long term deal? After he signs a franchise tag one year offer for $37+ million? If he's signing that before the draft it's because he knows that his ankle is toast, in which case another team isn't going to take that horrid contract with health concerns. He can't be traded unless he at least signs the 1 year franchise deal.

If Dak does not sign a long term deal, the Cowboys will put a franchise tag on him. After that they can work out a trade. If Dak refuses to sign his franchise tag, which means he plays for no one in 2021, Dallas retains his rights but to trade him they would have to get Dak to agree to signing with another team. What's interesting about this scenario is we will finally get to know exactly what Dak was looking for from Dallas. If Dallas has to use the franchise tag on Dak, they have to trade him. Maybe the Texans will want him, but they have no 1st round draft pick.

lkelly

Reaction score
If Dak does not sign a long term deal, the Cowboys will put a franchise tag on him. After that they can work out a trade. If Dak refuses to sign his franchise tag, which means he plays for no one in 2021, Dallas retains his rights but to trade him they would have to get Dak to agree to signing with another team. What's interesting about this scenario is we will finally get to know exactly what Dak was looking for from Dallas. If Dallas has to use the franchise tag on Dak, they have to trade him. Maybe the Texans will want him, but they have no 1st round draft pick.
Until he signs the tag they can't actually trade him. He can really force his way to certain teams with that leverage. My comments were specific to using Dak to move up in this year's draft. He doesn't have to sign the tag until well after the draft.

If he truly is hurt, and might not be able to play up to 100% this year, tossing $37 million at him is ludicrous. I would expect that any other teams would really do their due diligence on his ankle before considering a non-exclusive tag offer or any sort of trade discussions.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score

They can trade their next 2 1st round picks and that team is getting worse and worse. That might be back to back top 5 picks which I am fine with.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
They will sign Prescott well before the draft, and it will become a moot point.

Flamma

Reaction score
If Dak isn't signed on the dotted line before the draft I would most certainly draft a QB.
Even if it's Trey Lance.
We all know Lawrence,Wilson and Fields will be off the board.

The only two worth drafting are Lawrence and Wilson. Otherwise you just wasted the 10th pick.

Does Trey Lance even throw the ball? Even Fields, if the first read isn't there he takes off. Let some other team waste their first round pick on this quarterbacks.

J-man

Reaction score
If everything hits the fan before the draft and they must draft a QB in rd 1, they better not wait until 10 and move up for Wilson.
But please for the love of GOD, not Fields.

Arkyvarminter

Reaction score
If everything hits the fan before the draft and they must draft a QB in rd 1, they better not wait until 10 and move up for Wilson.
But please for the love of GOD, not Fields.

Whats wrong with Fields?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Don't laugh because there is a real possibility that this can happen. This is not something that I came up with either. Many analysts and writers, some in Dallas as well, are speculating this. I know the odds are against it but what if Jerry and Dak can't work things out? Its becoming more and more common in the NFL where a team has a solid starter and still uses a high pick on a QB. My question is who do you think will be there at 10? PS ...I am a huge Dak fan but things are not looking good............

I'm curious why you believe "things are not looking good." Dallas tagged him last year and he played on that tag. There's no indication that the Cowboys won't work out a deal or even tag him again if necessary.

It just seems to me that fans panic on things like this before there's really even a reason, too. If we get close to the draft and either a deal hasn't been worked out or Dak hasn't signed a tag, then maybe we'll need to consider whether we should draft a quarterback.

John813

Reaction score
Mac Jones is better than Trask.

Isn't he projected to go in round 1?

I'm still weary on Alabama QBs.

Being a Dolphins fan due to location, reading the hype then watching Tua was less than expected to say the least. One year obviously doesn't close the book on a QB but he was underwhelming.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Don't laugh because there is a real possibility that this can happen. This is not something that I came up with either. Many analysts and writers, some in Dallas as well, are speculating this. I know the odds are against it but what if Jerry and Dak can't work things out? Its becoming more and more common in the NFL where a team has a solid starter and still uses a high pick on a QB. My question is who do you think will be there at 10? PS ...I am a huge Dak fan but things are not looking good............
who?

eyedoc

Reaction score
Unless we learn that Dak is not recovering as well as expected or that he will be compromised, we won’t draft a QB in round 1 at 10. If we want a new QB, we will package Dak to move up for one.
In order to package Dak we will have to sign him before the draft.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think there will be a QB worth taking at 10. But I'd consider Jones if he's there at 44
He won’t be after that NC outing. He’ll go low 1 or at top of 2nd IMO.