What if Dallas picks a QB at 10?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If the Cowboys draft a QB in round one, it will be the first time since Troy in ‘89.

If this team decides to move on from Dak, (which I don’t think would be smart btw) I could see using a first round pick on a QB if it’s a player they are willing to have the appropriate patience to develop. It took Troy 3 years for example. Which means they would probably need a stop gap veteran starter to help. I’m actually in favor of drafting a QB every 2-3 years to develop. Could be a decent cheap backup or even an eventful starter or perhaps even trade bait.

Any way, I don’t see Jerry doing this. He seems to lack the patience to wait on a young QB unless they have immediate impact like Dak did in 2016. I think JJ is in permanent “win now” mentality because of his age and lack of results for 25 years, which isn’t all bad.

HungryLion

Reaction score
To be honest. There are only 3 QB prospects I have interest in. Lawrence, Fields and Wilson.

I expect all 3 to be gone by 10.

I am not really interested in selecting a QB just to select a QB. That’s how teams blow first round picks on QB’s all the time.

This is why the “winning streak” at the end of the season was pointless.

If Fields or Wilson fall to 10. Take them.

I just don’t see any of the other QB’s being worth a top 10 pick. To be honest.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If a deal isn't in place by the draft, you have to assume it will not be done unless they acquiesce to his terms and I think that would be a mistake. This has gone on far too long to think he's going to come off his terms. A deal gets done quickly or there is no deal.

Then they have to figure out the best way to move him. Tag him and his salary demand might be the hindrance to a trade, non exclusive tag him and giving up 2 1sts might be but he would be faced with the reality of just what he's worth at QB for any team.

If I was Booger, I would use the non exclusive tag but preempt that with this is what's best for Prescott. This allows him to seek his deal with any team and if there is one that will meet his price, take the 1sts and get the best QB that can get in this draft. If he can't get his deal, then the leverage reverts back to the Cowboys.

Having a bad record and season actually helps the Cowboys because they are within much easier reaching distance for the next QB at 10. And with this not being a good D draft, using those picks on the next franchise might be the best route.

If they miss, so what? They pick again and again until they get the guy because no team, including their past champ teams, goes anywhere without that guy because the likelihood of them building a shut down D doesn't exist. Got to have the trigger man than can average 30 ppg.

The other part of this is if they don't sign him and need a rookie QB, is there a better O for one to step into than this one? That was the reason for Prescott's home run as a rookie, he stepped into an offense few 1st round QB's get to take over, let alone a 4th rounder.

The reality is that with Booger's penchant for follow the ball and needing stars to promote, this team must have an elite QB. They've never, even with Landry and Johnson, done anything without that guy.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Depends on the player, Lawrence, Fields, and Wilson sure but would you have Trey Lance as your starting QB week 1 I am not sure.

Lance wouldn’t start until November at best.

His game needs a lot of work.

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
Lance wouldn’t start until November at best.

His game needs a lot of work.

I honestly don't see an issue with that. Gilbert looked serviceable at least, let the kid ride the pine for a year and work on his game. It's not like this team is going to have some huge turn around on defense in one year anyway.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I honestly don't see an issue with that. Gilbert looked serviceable at least, let the kid ride the pine for a year and work on his game. It's not like this team is going to have some huge turn around on defense in one year anyway.

I’d be fine with drafting Lance.

But..

Zach Wilson has a lot of skill that I want my QB to develop.. That guy has a chance to be special and as much as I like Lawrence’s upside I think right now Zach Wilson has more developed skill.

Zach Wilson should hit the ground running as a rookie unless he just goes to an awful team which is likely.

Lance looks 2 or 3 years behind Wilson in terms of his passing mechanics as well as reading his pass progressions.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I’d be fine with drafting Lance.

But..

Zach Wilson has a lot of skill that I want my QB to develop.. That guy has a chance to be special and as much as I like Lawrence’s upside I think right now Zach Wilson has more developed skill.

Zach Wilson should hit the ground running as a rookie unless he just goes to an awful team which is likely.

Lance looks 2 or 3 years behind Wilson in terms of his passing mechanics as well as reading his pass progressions.

I like Wilson a lot too.

he is a pipe dream though. He is going top 3

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I like Wilson a lot too.

he is a pipe dream though. He is going top 3

Dallas could move up that high and they could recover by trading some of our roster away.

I don’t know how tradable Daknis under any tag but there isn’t a player on this roster that is untouchable at this point. Even Zach Martin I’d be ok with trading on a team trending down like we are.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Dallas could move up that high and they could recover by trading some of our roster away.

I don’t know how tradable Daknis under any tag but there isn’t a player on this roster that is untouchable at this point. Even Zach Martin I’d be ok with trading on a team trending down like we are.

Sure Dallas could trade a bunch of stuff to move up that high.

there’s 0% chance they will though. It’s a pipe dream.

The chance of drafting Wilson went bye bye when the cowboys went on their meaningless little 3 game win streak at the end of the season.

it’s a shame but it is what it is. Need to focus on other QB’s if you wanna draft one.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Sure Dallas could trade a bunch of stuff to move up that high.

there’s 0% chance they will though. It’s a pipe dream.

The chance of drafting Wilson went bye bye when the cowboys went on their meaningless little 3 game win streak at the end of the season.

it’s a shame but it is what it is. Need to focus on other QB’s if you wanna draft one.

I think until Dak is signed the days of saying 0% of us trading for a QB is over.

Even Dak homers in the media are starting to see that we have to get this problem solved soon or he will become a FA next offseason on the open market.

So it’s no longer a pipe dream. If he doesn’t have a deal by the draft it would be shocking if Dallas doesn’t do something big at QB.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I think until Dak is signed the days of saying 0% of us trading for a QB is over.

Even Dak homers in the media are starting to see that we have to get this problem solved soon or he will become a FA next offseason on the open market.

So it’s no longer a pipe dream. If he doesn’t have a deal by the draft it would be shocking if Dallas doesn’t do something big at QB.

They’ll settle for one of the lesser QB’s in the draft and reach for them at 10. As opposed to move up for a guy like Wilson.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
The Dak situation was muddy before the injury. That mud has turned to quicksand.

The affects of the injury will linger at least into the season if not throughout. Long term remains to be seen and has at least a shadow of doubt attached. Regardless of what either extreme thinks there is legitimate debate about Dak as the total package even after five full years as a starter.

I don't see to many GM's lining up to both give up considerable assets and give a huge contract in a tag/trade to a player coming off such a significant injury and who has not proven himself to be the total package after five full seasons.

I don't believe Dak is going to get a contract somewhere else that is much better than he will get here even if a worthwhile trade could be arranged, at least this year.

It's very unlikely that the Cowboys are legit contenders this season with Dak playing on the tag so it would be a throwaway season with no resolution to the QB position drama going into next season. That would be lose/lose from the team's perspective.

Dak accepting the offer he turned down would make him even richer than he is, allow some cap maneuvering and solidify the position for five years (I know, debatable to many but the guy does have some strengths and is at least good enough to drive the right bus). Win/win.

I can't believe Dak would choose to hold out a year but if he did... definite lose/lose.

Bottom line is it's time to settle this one way or the other. If I'm the running this show I'm giving Dak my bottom line offer, take it or leave it. If he balks I explore tag and trade (I'm not playing him on the tag this season) and if that works out, great, if not I am prepared to let him sit out and watch him go next season.

I know the argument will be it's a bad decision to let him go for nothing but at some point you have to put down the shovel and just stop digging. Play Dak on the tag this season and that hole is twice as deep and far away from the sunlight going into next season.

I guess all that gibberish means I am looking hard at QB in the draft this year.

Last edited:

ultron

Reaction score
Rule #1 in pro football is never draft a QB from Ohio State, rule #2 is follow rule #1 and never deviate

conner01

Reaction score
If Dallas takes aQB at 10 I expect to be drafting at 10 again next year

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Don't laugh because there is a real possibility that this can happen. This is not something that I came up with either. Many analysts and writers, some in Dallas as well, are speculating this. I know the odds are against it but what if Jerry and Dak can't work things out? Its becoming more and more common in the NFL where a team has a solid starter and still uses a high pick on a QB. My question is who do you think will be there at 10? PS ...I am a huge Dak fan but things are not looking good............
“Analysts and writers” :lmao:

bodi

Reaction score
well maybe Urban Meyer likes FIELDS better then trade Dak plus our number one for LAWRENCE

my birthday wish