What if it's Ron Rivera?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Now that Rivera has been let go by the Panthers, the possibility exists that he could in fact be the next head coach of the Cowboys. I think that there are better hires and I think there are worse hires, but I'm interested to hear the thoughts from the forum and what your reaction would be if Jerry did hire Rivera as this team's next head coach?

Not my first pick obviously, but he would be an upgrade over Clappy...……….at least he took his team to the SB.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I’m not really sure why fans believe Jerry’s going to change his ways now?

And Rivera would be a solid hire. He’s a former coach of the year ( twice I think) and took his team to a SB. Would appear an upgrade to me. And he might be willing to be more of a puppet.

After all all we really need is someone who can game plan better and make better adjustments and decisions on Game Day. The rest Jerry will still dictate.

Diehard is right, its an obvious upgrade from Clappy. Riverboat Ron can actually manage a game pretty decently and is not a detriment on game day like Garrett is.

That is the main problem with Garrett, he is fine during the week and with offseason stuff like the draft, but when it comes to game day he is just a complete dumpster fire. Cant manage the clock, wastes timeouts, doesn't know how to use challenges, has no feel for down or distance or situational football, he is basically the last guy in the world you want on the sideline making decisions with the game on the line.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Fine

it shows that you want to win.....he may not win here but if you retain Garrett you really dont want to win

Exactly...………is anybody really arguing that Garrett is better?

At least Rony took his team to the SB one time, Garrett still trying to get past the Divisional round 10 years later.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Is he better than Garrett? Yes. You might even be better than Garrett.

Is he what this team needs? Not even close.

That's true, LOL.

The honest truth is that virtually anybody you hire could probably win you 2 Wildcard games if given 10 years, that is not a very high bar.

But is that really what our goals should be?

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
source.gif

LLLOOOLLL, THIS!

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Urban Meyer.

Next question
Well...I did say "realistically"...but your prediction is duly noted.

Did you see Urban's last year of coaching? He was doubled over half the time. Possibly feigning medical issues (again)....or more worriedly real. Don't get me wrong, I'm a LONG time Buckeye, and the guy is a helluva college coach. Just not sure it would translate to NFL...like many very good college coaches didn't.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am all in on the hoodie.lol
See the post i started on him.

Would be interesting, but not sure how you see him doing it. (Or jerry for that matter...regardless of his ticking clock).

I wonder what kind of nicknames Cowboys "fans" would give him? The Scowler? The Cheater? I suppose as long as you are winning...nobody would care?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Would be interesting, but not sure how you see him doing it. (Or jerry for that matter...regardless of his ticking clock).

I wonder what kind of nicknames Cowboys "fans" would give him? The Scowler? The Cheater? I suppose as long as you are winning...nobody would care?

I'd simply call him what he is - the greatest coach of all time. We could only get so lucky as to go from Garett to Belichick. The outhouse to the penthouse.

And most of all, it would show everyone that 'meddling Jerry' was serious about winning.

blueblood70

Reaction score
He has worse winning% then garett and fact is hes stopped winning 4 years ago..of late hes worse then Garett, not better...he has only had THREE(3) winning seasons in 9 years.. seriously he needs to follow WADE BACK TO a DC ROLE..

BoysForLife

Reaction score

Did you see Urban's last year of coaching? He was doubled over half the time. Possibly feigning medical issues (again)....or more worriedly real. Don't get me wrong, I'm a LONG time Buckeye, and the guy is a helluva college coach. Just not sure it would translate to NFL...like many very good college coaches didn't.

I'd sure like to find out;)

BoysForLife

Reaction score

I sure would love to find out. And I believe we do have a realistic shot at Urban

DFWJC

Reaction score
Fwiw

I just saw this trivia about Rivera

His teams have Belichick’s Patriots twice, and won both times.
Not arguing for him, but I suspect few coaches can say that.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The more I look at Rivera's track record and history of defense, and the more I watch our current pathetic defense, the more he looks like a viable candidate.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
Now that Rivera has been let go by the Panthers, the possibility exists that he could in fact be the next head coach of the Cowboys. I think that there are better hires and I think there are worse hires, but I'm interested to hear the thoughts from the forum and what your reaction would be if Jerry did hire Rivera as this team's next head coach?
I'd love to have him as a defensive coach.

kskboys

Reaction score
The more I look at Rivera's track record and history of defense, and the more I watch our current pathetic defense, the more he looks like a viable candidate.
And it's been horrific tonight. Convoluted mess. The current D coaches are simply not going to get it done.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And it's been horrific tonight. Convoluted mess. The current D coaches are simply not going to get it done.

Nope. They've all gotta go. Every one.

Has a team ever hired a head coach DURING THE SEASON before?

I think I might look into it I feel it were my team?