What if it's Ron Rivera?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would consider Rivera to be an upgrade, albeit a marginal one. Carolina didn't have the talent level of the Cowboys, but he did more with what he had.

Rivera and Garrett have a similar record, but I would submit that Garrett had better talent to work with a large majority of the time and did less with it when compared to Rivera in Carolina.

I like other guys better, but Rivera is not the worst option by a long shot.

:hammer:

Summed up very well, great job.
:thumbup:

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, he wouldn't be my first or second choice. I'm just mentioning it as a distinct possibility and pointing out both the positives and negatives were it to happen.
I understand, with Jerry's unpredictability you never know.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I understand, with Jerry's unpredictability you never know.

I think it will tell us exactly where things stand in terms of whether or not Jerry would be willing or unwilling to cede power and profile. A hire like Rivera tells me that he wouldn't have to.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
What coach is available with SO much "success"? And would take the job?

Some you guys are so funny....been demanding a coaching change for years...then snub your noses at this one? I am not saying he's perfect....AND, I do not believe in making a change any change just for the sake of change. But GENERALLY speaking...if a coach is deemed "successful, he;s likely staying put right where he's "successful".

But if you have someone in mind John I'm all ears!
We could do worse, but i hope we do better.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
What coach is available with SO much "success"? And would take the job?

Some you guys are so funny....been demanding a coaching change for years...then snub your noses at this one? I am not saying he's perfect....AND, I do not believe in making a change any change just for the sake of change. But GENERALLY speaking...if a coach is deemed "successful, he;s likely staying put right where he's "successful".

But if you have someone in mind John I'm all ears!
I am all in on the hoodie.lol
See the post i started on him.

budsboys

Reaction score
Now that Rivera has been let go by the Panthers, the possibility exists that he could in fact be the next head coach of the Cowboys. I think that there are better hires and I think there are worse hires, but I'm interested to hear the thoughts from the forum and what your reaction would be if Jerry did hire Rivera as this team's next head coach?
I’d love to see him come in as the d coordinator

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
He fits my criteria. He is a defensive minded coach and he doesn't clap on the sidelines. I think Rivera would be a better coach for Dallas than Garrett. I think he is a high character guy who would not allow Jerry's nonsense to get past him. For that reason, he will not be the HC of the Dallas Cowboys.
I
Now that Rivera has been let go by the Panthers, the possibility exists that he could in fact be the next head coach of the Cowboys. I think that there are better hires and I think there are worse hires, but I'm interested to hear the thoughts from the forum and what your reaction would be if Jerry did hire Rivera as this team's next head coach?
I would have no problem with Rivera.

You let Garrett and Marrinelli go, promote Richard to DC, give him a pay raise as DC and let him and Rivera run the defence and that should fix it.

We have what we need on offense with the coaches and assistant. Not sure if Kitna and Moore are creative enough though.

Our best years have been with defensive HCs such as Landry and Johnson and it's our weak link.

Not sure if Quinn will return or Jones or Bennett. Wolf Hunter could be an issue with his injury and with Trystan slow to pan out and Taco gone..

The defense needs help rebuilding. Not to mention..Lee has played well but the LBs need more talent.

And of course safety continues to be a hole.

Defensive HC is primary.

Enough fantasizing about offense carrying the team.

Has not worked for us.

We need to stop dumping all our cap space on the offense. Beef up the defense

Let's get some balance on this team. Riley is a glamour coach..no NFL experience which is a problem as we need to win now before our window closes.

:thumbup:

Last edited:

Plankton

Reaction score
I'm curious. RR is a completely D minded coach. Why are so many claiming it will be the same? I mean, maybe it wouldn't be an upgrade, but it would definitely not be even remotely the same.

Because unless the Joneses step back and let the coach front the football operation, it won't matter who is in the coach's office - they won't succeed long term.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
I say no to Ron Rivera. Ron Rivera is quite honestly one of the best human beings on the face of the planet and he will be treasured in the Charlotte area for the rest of his life. He is also a step up from Garrett in almost every way possible.

Crap, I'm talking myself into Ron Rivera.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
You've got a lot of company, including me. But I don't think you can get him in that role.
Correct.

There will be 7-8 openings for HCs.

Rivera will be hired quickly.

He is a good fit defensively and can call the defense if Richard decides to leave.

Who on Rivera's old staff would we hire?

ST coach?

What about OL coach? Not sure I like Columbo as the OL has regressed alot and we have only had him 8 games and now 12 this year.

Not sure he is Bill Callahan quality.

Carolina played good defense for years under Rivera. Anybody we can sign on defense to help the defense?

I suggest you guys stop just dissing guys like Rivera.

He's player friendly, knowledgeable, and has a good track record.

I take him immediately.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Correct.

There will be 7-8 openings for HCs.

Rivera will be hired quickly.

He is a good fit defensively and can call the defense if Richard decides to leave.

Who on Rivera's old staff would we hire?

ST coach?

What about OL coach? Not sure I like Columbo as the OL has regressed alot and we have only had him 8 games and now 12 this year.

Not sure he is Bill Callahan quality.

Carolina played good defense for years under Rivera. Anybody we can sign on defense to help the defense?

I suggest you guys stop just dissing guys like Rivera.

He's player friendly, knowledgeable, and has a good track record.

I take him immediately.

I honestly believe if he's not coaching for this team, he will almost certainly be coaching against them. By that I mean if he's not hired here in Dallas, I expect him to land in either Washington or with the Giants.

CB61

Reaction score
I'm not sure if he interviewed but he was one of the names that were thrown around back I believe before Parcells or around that time but his name was tossed around by the Cowboys or rumored to be tossed around by the Cowboys a while ago well I guess it would be about 9-10 years ago so it would have been before Garrett came

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not sure if he interviewed but he was one of the names that were thrown around back I believe before Parcells or around that time but his name was tossed around by the Cowboys or rumored to be tossed around by the Cowboys a while ago well I guess it would be about 9-10 years ago so it would have been before Garrett came

This wikipedia article claims he was a candidate for the job before Wade got it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Rivera

And here:

https://www.nbcdfw.com/blogs/blue-s...ve-Been-The-Cowboys-Head-Coach-365999421.html

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
He was.

But he was a. assistant under Lovie Smith in Chicago as I recall.

And Jerrah had already decided on Garrett.

Norv Turner was also being considered before
Phillip's got hired.

I would much rather Turner right now than Garrett.

With this team, Turner could make some noise with Zeke and Amari and Dak.

Wonder if Norv would consider coming home?