What if JG made Tomlin's mistakes?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett would obviously get bar-b-qued for making those kind of mistakes. There real question is - would Tomlin still make the same decisions if he didn't have those 2 Super Bowl rings? Tomlin is a decent to good coach in general but is very overrated in my book.

dfense

Reaction score
I can count several bad bad play calls and decisions in last nights game that Tomlinson made. He literally gave that game to the Ravens. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Garrett would get roasted if he made that many errors in one game. Yet the headline in MSN.com was, "Don't blame Tomlinson."

Amazing.

Oops, Tomlin.

dfense

Reaction score
The missed FGs is what cost them the game, not going for it on 4th instead of punting. They did not give up points after failing on 4th down or the first missed FG. It was only after the missed (shorter) FG that Baltimore finally tied it. Punting there is the wrong decision. You absolutely try and make it a 6 point game with only a minute left and no timeouts.

All that. And running Vick on a sweep when Bell is gouging them at that point in the game. It was just a bunch of small things all game long. They could have put that game away several times in the last 3 minutes.

And they would have if Roethlisburgh played. Sorry o_O

cej757

Reaction score
Garrett would obviously get bar-b-qued for making those kind of mistakes. There real question is - would Tomlin still make the same decisions if he didn't have those 2 Super Bowl rings? Tomlin is a decent to good coach in general but is very overrated in my book.

How can you be overrated and have a Super Bowl win on your résumé? IMO once you win a Super Bowl all of that overrated stuff goes out of the window. And yes that includes Barry Switzer as well.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mistakes are mistakes, regardless of who makes them. It's human nature that sharpens or dulls criticism directed at different people who create similar or same results. So, to answer the OP, Garrett would've been grilled like a redheaded rotisserie chicken.

Some people don't care about fairness and objectivity, only how far they can plunge the knife and twist it.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He has.......I like Garrett and thinks he's come a long way but he has made those mistakes in the past. Only difference is Tomlin is a Super Bowl winning coach.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How can you be overrated and have a Super Bowl win on your résumé? IMO once you win a Super Bowl all of that overrated stuff goes out of the window.

Where do you think Tomlin ranks among head coaches? Top 5? Whatever the number is, he isn't as good as that number. He won a Super Bowl with Cowher's team and because of a horribly officiated game. He isn't responsible for drafting and winning with a QB yet and has lived off of Big Ben all these years. It's not like last nights game was the first game he has made mistakes either. Unfortunately I have family that are Stealer fans and I hear all the time about his blown decisions. Like I said, he is a decent to good coach and likely would have been fired many years ago if he had been hired by one of the 'churn a new HC every few years' lower echelon teams.

joseephuss

Reaction score

He has one Superbowl ring.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If Garrett did what Tomlin did against the Ravens, some of us might possibly be storming his house at midnight with torches and pitchforks. Realistically, I'm a bit surprised it hasn't happened already, judging by some of the posts of times passed. Maybe some of us were numbed by the many years of mediocrity we had survived back then. On second thought, perhaps it's a blessing it happened. In the longrun, it conditioned us to endure -- lol.

Craig

Reaction score
The team has trended downward since cowher left and tomlin had his hands on that team. It seems pretty clear.

cej757

Reaction score
Where do you think Tomlin ranks among head coaches? Top 5? Whatever the number is, he isn't as good as that number. He won a Super Bowl with Cowher's team and because of a horribly officiated game. He isn't responsible for drafting and winning with a QB yet and has lived off of Big Ben all these years. It's not like last nights game was the first game he has made mistakes either. Unfortunately I have family that are Stealer fans and I hear all the time about his blown decisions. Like I said, he is a decent to good coach and likely would have been fired many years ago if he had been hired by one of the 'churn a new HC every few years' lower echelon teams.

If you think Tomlin is overrated I would love to hear what you think about Jason Garrett then? Tomlin went to two SuperBowls and has a Super Bowl win. What else can he do?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
How can you be overrated and have a Super Bowl win on your résumé? IMO once you win a Super Bowl all of that overrated stuff goes out of the window. And yes that includes Barry Switzer as well.

lol, No.

By this standard, Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer (and Barry Switzer for that matter) should be Hall of Famers.

I guess you do not believe people can ride coattails to success?

kevm3

Reaction score
You mean like Garrett icing his own kicker or having other historic losses like losing a game against the lions when we are ahead 24 points at the half? Garrett has made plenty of mistakes and he's still here.

slomoxn

Reaction score
In Tomlins defense, he has some hardware Garrett doesn't. He isn't going to always be right; even more so if his decision costs a game. Considering he has a ring or two (I think) I'm riding with his decision and letting it go if it's wrong. He has been right enough to win when it counted.

cej757

Reaction score
lol, No.

By this standard, Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer (and Barry Switzer for that matter) should be Hall of Famers.

I guess you do not believe people can ride coattails to success?

I'm talking about Head Coaches not players. Mike Tomlin is cemented in history as a Super Bowl winning coach. Tomlin comes from the Tony Dungy tree so are you saying Dungy was overrated too?

Tomlin started the new wave with Teams hiring the young hot Coordinator and making him the Head Coach. You started noticing owners getting away from hiring old retread coaches and hiring these 30 something year old guys because Tomlin had early success in Pittsburgh, And Tomlin is the only one who actually won a Super bowl.