What if JG made Tomlin's mistakes?

cowboyuptx

Reaction score
Their kickers missed 2 FGs or they win the game in regulation. Idk what else you want Tomlin to do.

He should have let his Kicker have another crack at it from 50 yards to win the game... I don't care if the kicker had missed twice already, all that means is that he's even more likely to make the one that Tomlin elected not to let him attempt... I mean it's 50 yards, he's a professional Kicker, if you wont allow him that chance to win the game for you, then Tomlin had better cut him TODAY.

The Ravens were ultra aggressive going for it multiple times on 4th down throughout the entire game... The Steelers meanwhile played it very conservative for the entir game, until it got very late in the and in OT... If the Steelers would have stuck to their plan and played it conservative on the 4th and 1 call, then I bet the Kicker makes the FG and the Steelers win... Tomlin was half-stepping on his strategy, and it cost them... Harbaugh stuck to his game plan, which was to be ultra aggressive and play like they have nothing to lose... It didn't always work for Harbaugh and the Ravens, but they never wavered in their approach, they never tried to back off and play more conservative, they just kept taking risks until it ultimately paid-off.

Joe_Fan

Continuity Is Overrated
Reaction score
Get back to asking me this question after JG actually leads us to a few Super Bowl trophies.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
Garrett would obviously get bar-b-qued for making those kind of mistakes. There real question is - would Tomlin still make the same decisions if he didn't have those 2 Super Bowl rings? Tomlin is a decent to good coach in general but is very overrated in my book.

he has 1 as a head coach.....lets not give a steelers coach more than he has now...;)

Where do you think Tomlin ranks among head coaches? Top 5? Whatever the number is, he isn't as good as that number. He won a Super Bowl with Cowher's team and because of a horribly officiated game. He isn't responsible for drafting and winning with a QB yet and has lived off of Big Ben all these years. It's not like last nights game was the first game he has made mistakes either. Unfortunately I have family that are Stealer fans and I hear all the time about his blown decisions. Like I said, he is a decent to good coach and likely would have been fired many years ago if he had been hired by one of the 'churn a new HC every few years' lower echelon teams.

I have a family of steelers fans as well... he's not perfect... but I don't know if "he would have been fired many years ago"
They consistently compete... he's been to two superbowls.... he's a solid coach. great no, solid yes.... It took a lot of questions and ages before Cohwer won one. (he was a very good coach)

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
He should have let his Kicker have another crack at it from 50 yards to win the game... I don't care if the kicker had missed twice already, all that means is that he's even more likely to make the one that Tomlin elected not to let him attempt... I mean it's 50 yards, he's a professional Kicker, if you wont allow him that chance to win the game for you, then Tomlin had better cut him TODAY.

The Ravens were ultra aggressive going for it multiple times on 4th down throughout the entire game... The Steelers meanwhile played it very conservative for the entir game, until it got very late in the and in OT... If the Steelers would have stuck to their plan and played it conservative on the 4th and 1 call, then I bet the Kicker makes the FG and the Steelers win... Tomlin was half-stepping on his strategy, and it cost them... Harbaugh stuck to his game plan, which was to be ultra aggressive and play like they have nothing to lose... It didn't always work for Harbaugh and the Ravens, but they never wavered in their approach, they never tried to back off and play more conservative, they just kept taking risks until it ultimately paid-off.

That's coming, but they have to work out some guys first....

It's a terrible thing when your gameplan is altered by a kicker.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
What should Tomlin have done differently? Made his kicker hit those field goals? Not had to play his back up quarterback?

If last nights game proved anything, it proved how difficult it is to win without your star quarterback.

I'm fine with his decisions on to go for it on 4th down.

Before they kicked the fg in regulation up 3 I thought the better decision was to punt the ball.

What was unforgivable was going for it twice in 4th and short situations and not letting Bell touch the ball either time.