What if. Next season

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A realistic possible scenario:

I would prefer new coaches but realistically I don't see that happening. The offensive scheme is what I dislike the most. New WR coach added.

Keep Jerry away from the War Room on draft days. Just mention Zeke and Goodell...

Keep
DLaw - Franchise
Irving - Tender
Hitchens - Re-sign
Cooper - Re-sign

Cut
Scandrick
Dez - After training camp

Add
Poe 1-year, 8M
Backup OT -free agent
1st round WR
2nd round LB
3rd round RB/Receiver with "juice"

Witten and Rico split snaps 50-50

No Safety or RDE in top 3 rounds or FA.

Noah Brown, the new WR and Rico play 90% of snaps in the preseason.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A realistic possible scenario:

I would prefer new coaches but realistically I don't see that happening. The offensive scheme is what I dislike the most. New WR coach added.

Keep Jerry away from the War Room on draft days. Just mention Zeke and Goodell...

Keep
DLaw - Franchise
Irving - Tender
Hitchens - Re-sign
Cooper - Re-sign

Cut
Scandrick
Dez - After training camp

Add
Poe 1-year, 8M
Backup OT -free agent
1st round WR
2nd round LB
3rd round RB/Receiver with "juice"

Witten and Rico split snaps 50-50

No Safety or RDE in top 3 rounds or FA.

Noah Brown, the new WR and Rico play 90% of snaps in the preseason.

If we blow another 1st and 3rd rounder on offensive skill players in the coming draft, I'm going around and personally punching all y'all in the face as hard as I can.

I don't think cutting Scandrick does much right now, does it? Keep him if it's cap-neutral. Dez needs to agree to a pay cut. I'd spend some money on the 1T, sure. And on a better (but more affordable) ILB.

I think we're ok at TE. Witten is old, and could even retire, but we've got three guys behind him who can both block and catch, and then Rico, who's got upside. I'd rather give those snaps to the speed WR I'm taking in the 3rd round or to Switzer, who ought to be our 'juice' guy anyway. Brown replaces Butler, speed WR take that roster spot, and throw the balance of the draft picks at defense however you can make it work. Hope Jaylon, Tapper and Taco improve/actually play.

John813

Reaction score
More than likely the receiver will be like most defensive ends drafted in the first round. A non factor.
Maybe a splash play here and there. But not someone who becomes a #1 receiver off the bat.

Next time just say cut Dez and thats it.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
What if Ridley isn’t there in round 1? The scenario goes down the drain and we cut Dez for nothing.
You're missing the point. Once Dez is gone all the guys behind him will get their chance to shine and Noah Brown will take over as the primary scoring option/decoy.

Step One Cut Dez
Step Two Allocate resources to fix the hole you've made
Step Three ???
Step Four Profit

Aven8

Reaction score
The Offensive staff it was kills me as well. I'm so sick of this offense. I actually think I might could stomach JG if we had a totally different offense with out his hands on it!

I've loved Poe since draft day. Would be a fantastic 1T here with Collins as the the 3 again, and Irving back to DE.

They don't have the u know what's to bench Witt. He's not killing the team, but he's not helping it win either. I'm not saying bench him, but let some other players get a chance? Maybe a new OC could convince him of that.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
You're missing the point. Once Dez is gone all the guys behind him will get their chance to shine and Noah Brown will take over as the primary scoring option/decoy.

Step One Cut Dez
Step Two Allocate resources to fix the hole you've made
Step Three ???
Step Four Profit
I don’t think drafting a wr in round 1 is the way to go next year. This team isn’t built around receivers. And Noah Brown has a lot to prove asa wr.

bark

Reaction score
I’m for fixing the defense. Players and scheme. If that means a new dc well then let’s do it.
Get me some beef on the dline and another lber or two.
Maybe a safety.
Let’s win some 22-17 games for a change.
On the offensive side of the ball dez and Witt will both be back and no dez isn’t going to take a pay cut.
I think linny returns as well.
Those thinking Rico is the answer well we will see but I’m not banking on it

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
I personally rather keep Dez, relying on a rookie receiver feels like a big risk. Besides pairing a young talented receiver next to Bryant could free him up a lot more and add another wrinkle to to the offense. I think of the Vikings with Cris Carter and Randy Moss, Isaac Bruce with Torry Holt, and Marvin Harrison with Reggie Wayne. These were dynamic receiving duos that took pressure off the veteran and led to a seamless transition later on. Obviously you have to hit on the receiver, but I like the idea of addressing receiver in the early rounds.

Outside of that, retaining the players you mentioned should be a priority and then addressing dt, LB earlier in the draft as well. We could still use upgrades at safety and cb, but I would prefer a veteran to help the younger guys.

visionary

Reaction score
We need speed at TE and WR
We need beef at DT
We need speed and beef at MLB
We need experience at safety and MLB so that when inevitably Lee goes down we're not hanging on a prayer

Of course we need an entire new coaching staff

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
I'm not saying bench him, but let some other players get a chance? Maybe a new OC could convince him of that.

Witten is a player. Players do what coaches tell them to.

What is all this talk like "Witten won't come out of the game" or "Witten won't let them take him out for a series"?

Sit down, diva. You aren't the only player on the team. Even Clayton Kershaw gets pulled in the 7th inning sometimes.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we blow another 1st and 3rd rounder on offensive skill players in the coming draft, I'm going around and personally punching all y'all in the face as hard as I can.

I don't think cutting Scandrick does much right now, does it? Keep him if it's cap-neutral. Dez needs to agree to a pay cut. I'd spend some money on the 1T, sure. And on a better (but more affordable) ILB.

I think we're ok at TE. Witten is old, and could even retire, but we've got three guys behind him who can both block and catch, and then Rico, who's got upside. I'd rather give those snaps to the speed WR I'm taking in the 3rd round or to Switzer, who ought to be our 'juice' guy anyway. Brown replaces Butler, speed WR take that roster spot, and throw the balance of the draft picks at defense however you can make it work. Hope Jaylon, Tapper and Taco improve/actually play.
I'll take a punch in the face if they can get those players.

This team has to lead with offense.

I'll give you another defensive free agent with the 12.5M saved from cutting Dez if that helps...