What if you get your wish (Garrett)

Dre11

Reaction score
LOL yet Dungy won nothing in TB and if Gruden hasn't done anything, that must mean Garrett really hasn't done anything?? Funny, you rip a Super Bowl winner and defend the guy who looks completely lost on a regular basis.

Yeah,
Well if one wants to use that logic, Gruden then should get credit for building the Raiders team that Callahan took to the SB.

I will concede that.

Dre11

Reaction score
This logic is always a howler to me.

Because one doesn’t lay out a plan about who to hire, therefore, their opinion that Garrett probably needs to go is invalid.

It’s silly.

It comes off as just whining.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What if some of you get your wish and Garrett is fired? Who do you want to realistically take his place?

Maybe the stars line up and The Hoodie decides to move on from New England without Brady. That would be best case but somewhat unlikely.

Lure Romo out of the booth? Something tells me that he is competitive enough that he might be tempted.

Richard? It's too early to tell at this point.

What is your "plan"?
If Garrett gets fired I will pinch my nipples as I run down the street in my Cowboys speedos!:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Verdict

Reaction score
I'm interested in hearing from the Garrett fans what the realistic solution is for Garrett to be able to produce some playoff success and when we can reasonably expect that to occur before he should be held accountable.

Doesn't it depend on various factors. If the catch was a catch (it was) maybe we would have a SB victory by now.

There were two separate Dez catches that really gave us the bone if you know what I mean. What was Garrett supposed to do? Kill the UMP at the 50 yard line??

We have really been bent by calls over the past few years and that's not on Garrett.

Verdict

Reaction score
Your opinion sounds very informative. Please list me the down grade of Lovie Smith versus the upgrade we have in Jason Garrett performance as Offensive Coordinator and then Head Coach.

How many Super Bowl rings did Garrett get as a coordinator and how many teams has Garrett as Head Coach taken to the Super Bowl?
Romeo Crennell couldn't win ****. That's the first criterion.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
Money isn't the giant in the room, for Jerry...he actually has adult pride.

And Jason has already received the endorsement before this off season started. Plans or progressing as situations develop. Oh, Jason will get the benefit of actual accomplishments to determine an analysis at the season's conclusion. And those won't be on the fears or disappointments of some of the Cowboys fans.

An actual after action analysis will be conducted, as it should.

It has almost been a decade. When do we get to start our "after action analysis"? Perhaps "inaction" is a better term at this point.

CCBoy

Reaction score
It has almost been a decade. When do we get to start our "after action analysis"? Perhaps "inaction" is a better term at this point.

Google after action report and then try to apply the effects of just such a process...perhaps that would gain you an understanding. Or just gain better listening skills. Negative doesn't get a pass here. In service, we constantly went through them, as have the Cowboys from Day One in this off season, and every season.

And do assume responsibility for providing more than an opinion for justification of doom and gloom. Complaining on que as to the past conduct for a decade is nothing beyond pure cope out.

Actually discuss what was already presented to YOU...as to reasons, not pure denial.

A view of no Lombardis is not a valid answer. This team has consistently bettered itself, and this season should follow the pattern of strong NFC showings in two of the past four seasons. There comes a point when injury removes the change to be a difference maker for the best of teams. Oh, this team has grown, and has a defense worth taking note now, as well.

Mannix

Reaction score
------We have really been bent by calls over the past few years and that's not on Garrett.

And the bad calls will keep on coming long as the refs know the league secretly laughs about it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He's a good coach.

But name the last 3 coaches that went from college to pro and had success.
Harbaugh, Carroll and Jimmy.

Not many but then not many cross over anymore. Spurrier, Saban and Kelly were failures.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry would need someone he’s familiar with and would be comfortable with Jerrys ways.

And not a bigger ego needing much control or credit if had success.

I’d start with guys like Romo maybe another former player already out there coaching or an asst coach Jerry likes.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Doesn't it depend on various factors. If the catch was a catch (it was) maybe we would have a SB victory by now.

There were two separate Dez catches that really gave us the bone if you know what I mean. What was Garrett supposed to do? Kill the UMP at the 50 yard line??

We have really been bent by calls over the past few years and that's not on Garrett.

Sure. You can say that. What I am understanding is that Garrett has been given the necessary tools, just hasn’t delivered. We are 3 years removed from that 2014 season, where I thought we had put ourselves in position to consistent SB contenders like the process was supposed to yield. The results? Only 1 more playoff appearance and 0 playoff wins, choking away home field advantage to a team riddled with injuries.

Just read yesterday about how we have hit on all draft picks in rounds 1-3 since 2014 (a little exaggerated but some homer was happy enough about it to brag). Anyway, we’ve done a decent job drafting and increasing the talent level of the team since that 2014 season where Garrett had his only playoff win.

Let’s let bygones be bygones there and focus on this season. Does Garrett have the tools this year to where Garrett haters can reasonably expect the Cowboys to make some noise in the playoffs? And if we don’t, how many more years does Garrett get to continue being the coach without having playoff success?

Last edited:

Verdict

Reaction score

Sure. You can say that. What I am understanding is that Garrett has been given the necessary tools, just hasn’t delivered. We are 3 years removed from that 2014 season, where I thought we had put ourselves in position to consistent SB contenders like the process was supposed to yield. The results? Only 1 more playoff appearance and 0 playoff wins, choking away home field advantage to a team riddled with injuries.

Just read yesterday about how we have hit on all draft picks in rounds 1-3 since 2014 (a little exaggerated but some homer was happy enough about it to brag). Anyway, we’ve done a decent job drafting and increasing the talent level of the team since that 2014 season where Garrett had his only playoff win.

Let’s let bygones be bygones there and focus on this season. Does Garrett have the tools this year to where Garrett haters can reasonably expect the Cowboys to make some noise in the playoffs? And if we don’t, how many more years does Garrett get to continue being the coach without having playoff success?
Out of the last 4 years we have had two really good years. That's very good.

We had one tank year where we got Zeke. That season was putrid. But it was largely because of zero backup QB.

Last year we were about a .500 team plus a gimmie game that the Eagles didn't want to win. Part of that was due to the Zeke suspension. I have to think we were a playoff team with Zeke.

If that's true we would have been a playoff team three out of the last four years. That's improvement and consistency. Let's not forget we didn't get a holding call almost all last year because the league was pissed off at Jerry.

You have to look at circumstances. Losing Fred isn't enough of an excuse to give Garrett a free pass this year. Losing Dak for the year might be, and we all hope that doesn't happen.

So far this year, based on what we have seen from training camp, the have a few pleasant surprises in Woods, Armstrong, the backup LBs, and aggressive corner play. They are all positives.

The negative so far in camp is Fred's illness which is unavoidable and possibly the passing game although we may be just keeping that under wraps until the W/Ls actually count.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
Google after action report and then try to apply the effects of just such a process...perhaps that would gain you an understanding. Or just gain better listening skills. Negative doesn't get a pass here. In service, we constantly went through them, as have the Cowboys from Day One in this off season, and every season.

And do assume responsibility for providing more than an opinion for justification of doom and gloom. Complaining on que as to the past conduct for a decade is nothing beyond pure cope out.

Actually discuss what was already presented to YOU...as to reasons, not pure denial.

A view of no Lombardis is not a valid answer. This team has consistently bettered itself, and this season should follow the pattern of strong NFC showings in two of the past four seasons. There comes a point when injury removes the change to be a difference maker for the best of teams. Oh, this team has grown, and has a defense worth taking note now, as well.

Nice personal attacks, totally warranted.

Forget Lombardis. I see a coach who has had lots of time to build a team in his image and that image has what, 2 playoff wins?

I'm ok with agreeing to disagree. I used to defend Garrett but I can't anymore. I'm ready to move on but that's just my opinion.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Out of the last 4 years we have had two really good years. That's very good.

We had one tank year where we got Zeke. That season was putrid. But it was largely because of zero backup QB.

Last year we were about a .500 team plus a gimmie game that the Eagles didn't want to win. Part of that was due to the Zeke suspension. I have to think we were a playoff team with Zeke.

If that's true we would have been a playoff team three out of the last four years. That's improvement and consistency. Let's not forget we didn't get a holding call almost all last year because the league was pissed off at Jerry.

You have to look at circumstances. Losing Fred isn't enough of an excuse to give Garrett a free pass this year. Losing Dak for the year might be, and we all hope that doesn't happen.

So far this year, based on what we have seen from training camp, the have a few pleasant surprises in Woods, Armstrong, the backup LBs, and aggressive corner play. They are all positives.

The negative so far in camp is Fred's illness which is unavoidable and possibly the passing game although we may be just keeping that under wraps until the W/Ls actually count.
I understand taking circumstances into consideration. I spent the better part of 2010 - mid 2016 defending Jason Garrett. I can even defend him for 2016-17 and, if we fail this year, will know every reason that I could defend Garrett again this year if I choose. I can even make a case that Bill Belichick and every other coach around the league screws up and diminish their successes. It's very easy to tear down or build up a player or coach. You simply highlight the failures and undermine the successes if you want to tear them down, or do the reverse if you want to build them up.

What it boils down to me is that you ultimately have to have some success in order to continue being defended and given more opportunities. I feel the team wasted opportunities in 2011-2013 to at least make the playoffs at minimum once, probably should have made it twice, and had good opportunity to make the playoffs all 3 of those years despite not having the confidence they would win any playoff games. So I thought they underachieved but was willing to live with that as the process was unfolding, the team was being rebuilt, and Jason was gaining experience. These missed opportunities ultimately shorten the rope of how much leeway you're willing to give someone.

2014 seemed to validate the process and put us on the path to be consistent playoff participants and SB contenders. My issue is that we haven't progressed from that point. We still aren't regular participants in the playoffs, we haven't won any additional playoff games, and Jason doesn't appear to want to change his game day coaching style to yield any different results. And my outlook on 2018 is that I think it is likely we miss the playoffs yet again, which would put Garrett getting his team to the playoffs only 25% of the time. Those missed opportunities from 2011-2013 become much more highlighted.

I could be wrong. Hell, I'd be happy to be wrong and Jason can get out of my doghouse if he does these things: 1. manage the clock and game better 2. win a playoff game.

I don't need a SB from Garrett to give him more time. I need to see progression in results...specifically playoff results and him making better decisions on game day. If he does those things, I'll get off his back. If he doesn't then I'll continue to believe we need to give someone else a shot to see if they can do better.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Romeo Crennell couldn't win ****. That's the first criterion.
Romeo Crennell never coached a football team to the Super Bowl as a Head Coach. Neither has Garrett.

But Lovie Smith has done it as Head Coach coaching the Bears to a Super Bowl and leading his team to 2 NFC Championship games as a Head Coach. He has also been successful as a Coordinator for the Rams Super Bowl Team.

I was being sarcastic when I said your opinion was informative (Smith a downgrade to Garrett LOL!!!). But the Jones Family will never fire Jason Garrett in this decade or the next.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Jerry isn't paying a head coach.
The pay amount is far from the main concern.
Jason Garrett is one the higher paid head coaches in the NFL.
The ones that make more all won Super Bowls.