What if you had a QB that could really block?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Running the ball was the staple of the league
Today the game is a much more passing league
Yes, but it still wasn't the kind of offense where the QB routinely was involved in blocking for RB's. That kind of thing is way old school.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Running the ball was the staple of the league
Today the game is a much more passing league

Understand. I thought you were referring to using a QB as a lead blocker in a run first offense. We really haven't seen that in the Pros in a very long time indeed.

As far as the running game goes, I think it's been since the 90s to be honest but I understand what you were saying now that you've explained it.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sure, on an individual play or plays, but the OP was talking about designing the offense around it. I'm all for an occasional wrinkle. Even in today's NFL a QB may block on a reverse.
Line the QB and RB both up at shotgun QB depth but each offset from center. Then direct snap it to the RB on running plays and snap to the QB on passing plays...

:laugh:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sure, on an individual play or plays, but the OP was talking about designing the offense around it. I'm all for an occasional wrinkle. Even in today's NFL a QB may block on a reverse.
I doubt if the OP has any knowledge of what has happened in the past in either college or the NFL.

It's as if my Mom walked in and asked me that question despite never watching more than a handful of snaps in a football game.
- Actually I think my Mom would ask a better question...

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Line the QB and RB both up at shotgun QB depth but each offset from center. Then direct snap it to the RB on running plays and snap to the QB on passing plays...

:laugh:
lol - well, I suppose it's possible, but I can't imagine any team consistently risking their QB's health as a lead blocker.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lol - well, I suppose it's possible, but I can't imagine any team consistently risking their QB's health as a lead blocker.

Yes, many fans thought the NFL was going to transition to the QB that was also a RB when RGIII had that one great year. That fad quickly ended.

Xeven

Reaction score
I doubt if the OP has any knowledge of what has happened in the past in either college or the NFL.

It's as if my Mom walked in and asked me that question despite never watching more than a handful of snaps in a football game.
- Actually I think my Mom would ask a better question...
We are very fortunate your mom raised such a nice football pro expert like you to keep us all straight.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We are very fortunate your mom raised such a nice football pro expert like you to keep us all straight.

It was just a conversation with someone else regarding the general background of people that ask these types of questions.

If my comment was targeted at you specifically, I would have replied to your post.

It's possible that you don't fit the category of what I described but most people that post these types of questions do fit the profile.

There's nothing wrong with asking the question, just like there's nothing wrong with me expressing my opinion to another CZ member.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Someone will tame a cheap shot and hurt your starting QB. Just like having a running QB. I think jackson will end up injured like RG3.
Jackson seems very successful at avoiding contact. But I feel the same way...just one miscalculation is busted ribs or shoulder.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Jackson seems very successful at avoiding contact. But I feel the same way...just one miscalculation is busted ribs or shoulder.
Or collar bone.. Lol. I don’t follow them that much but I did see one run he got nailed on and he was lucky.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
The NFL powers that be, want a passing league.

The refs would just call a couple of inconspicuous holding calls each series and you would be forced to throw the ball. Better get a Qb.

khiladi

Reaction score
RG3 was a one-read QB. Jackson is shifty and can fling the ball easily, while on the run. He’s more like Cunningham, with a quicker release, than any of these other guys. Cunningham was a better passer overall and Jackson needs to work on his sideline routes. The Titans made him throw outside.

Once he does that, if he does that, he’ll be ridiculous.

“We wanted to give him loaded boxes all night to get him out of the run game. We were either playing with a loaded box and man to man and make him beat us throwing the ball outside mano-a-mano or we were going to play a zone defense, a quarters defense similar to what Buffalo did. And Buffalo played them well. Buffalo just didn’t score a lot of points on offense. So we had eight-, nine-man boxes all night. You play Madden and run Engage Eight all day, it’s hard to run the ball.”

https://titansized.com/2020/01/13/logan-ryan-explains-titans-plan/

Last edited:

conner01

Reaction score
Understand. I thought you were referring to using a QB as a lead blocker in a run first offense. We really haven't seen that in the Pros in a very long time indeed.

As far as the running game goes, I think it's been since the 90s to be honest but I understand what you were saying now that you've explained it.
I’m not old enough to remember a QB being really used as a lead blocker lol
Some reverses and such I’ve seen them have a guy to get in the way of but few really block
They are too valuable to be a lead blocker and few play designs I could think of really could get them in a position to block

conner01

Reaction score
Yes, but it still wasn't the kind of offense where the QB routinely was involved in blocking for RB's. That kind of thing is way old school.
Lol
I’m not that old
The position is just too important in today’s game to risk his health blocking and not many QB’s have probably ever blocked anyone
Back in the leather helmet days something like that

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I’m not old enough to remember a QB being really used as a lead blocker lol
Some reverses and such I’ve seen them have a guy to get in the way of but few really block
They are too valuable to be a lead blocker and few play designs I could think of really could get them in a position to block

Yeah, that was a different game. When I was a kid in HS, we used to run a Delaware Wing T and in that Offense, the QB did lead block. Occasionally, you might see a Nebraska with Eric Crouch or a Florida with Tim Tebow, every now and then but that's pretty much it. You don't see it as a staple in Offense for many years.

Getting old!

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
What, a QB that could really block?? Well . . . we have one but he's being used for other things!! :muttley:

conner01

Reaction score
Yeah, that was a different game. When I was a kid in HS, we used to run a Delaware Wing T and in that Offense, the QB did lead block. Occasionally, you might see a Nebraska with Eric Crouch or a Florida with Tim Tebow, every now and then but that's pretty much it. You don't see it as a staple in Offense for many years.

Getting old!
I know the feeling
I tell my wife everyday getting old sux, but the alternative sux more