What if Zeke received the Murray treatment

texbumthelife

Reaction score
This is the biggest reason why people shun using a first round pick on a halfback. It's not that initial investment, it's that second contract. If your first rounder produces and is a big part of your offense, you want to reward them with that second big contract and get the most bang for your respective draft buck. Halfbacks are often already beat up, used up and breaking down by time they hit that second contract though.

I think, Zeke's health bearing, his draft position makes him a certified lock for a second deal even if it's the highest ever given to a RB.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
announcers, like aikman made a big deal about murrays fumbles, and of the 6 he had in 2014 3 were situations where the ball was pulled out,
now really a fumble.
On one 2 cowboys had a chance to recover the pullout in wash game, and they couldnt get on the ball !lol
only about 3 were at bad time, and then the gb game, which was early in the game, and not why they lost.

Elliot isnt staying in shape, so I dont know what he will be like after another year.
He was a great RB fresh out of college, but to me he is going downhill fast.
He had the chance to be truly great, but seems to be blowing that.
He is still good though even though he has gained weight and lost speed, and not in the shape he should be.
Announcers talk during games. It is their job. On the other hand, Murray's fumbling issues appeared to be caused by how securely he held the ball at times in my opinion.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He's lead the league in carriers in 2016&18 with 322 and 304. Even his suspension season he was 10th with 242. That's just his carries, not his touches.

That shows you what the league is doing, but historically those aren't truly crushing numbers. Emmitt was around 370s for his full seasons in his prime. Murray was 392.

There's a little trick to these numbers, because we should really add in playoff carries too. Makes it *much* worse for Emmitt. A little worse for Zeke.

I don't think the "magic number" analysis for RBs, at 370(?), takes into account playoff carries.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Murray was a solid RB but 2014 was all about the offensive line. Zeke would have run for 2000 yards that year.

Proof

Reaction score
There's an argument to be made there. Murray was a 5.0 yards a carry guy who also was much more of a receiving threat than Zeke. Murray had slippery moves that Zeke just doesn't have. Zeke is more of a power runner, rarely goes backwards. Both are great. But Cowboys made the absolute right move letting Murray go. Although their immediate replacement did not work out, Murray would not have finished out his 2nd contract here. He broke down after the 2nd year away.

More of a receiving threat? His best yr in the league was 57 for a tad over 400 yds. Meanwhile Zeke has 77 catches for over 550.

Little Jr

Reaction score
That shows you what the league is doing, but historically those aren't truly crushing numbers. Emmitt was around 370s for his full seasons in his prime. Murray was 392.

There's a little trick to these numbers, because we should really add in playoff carries too. Makes it *much* worse for Emmitt. A little worse for Zeke.

I don't think the "magic number" analysis for RBs, at 370(?), takes into account playoff carries.
Oh, it's defiantly change. RBs on running teams now still don't get carries like they use to. But 302 for Zeke and 370 for Smith isn't much difference when you take into account that Smith didn't take contact the way Zeke does. And if they keep using him in the passing game like they did last year then his touches will get into the 370s.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
I frankly think Zeke should receive the Murray treatment. We should not continue to invest huge resources in the RB position just because we made the mistake of doing so in 2016.

He’s an excellent player. Top 5 at his position league-wide. But it’s not clear that (even we) need that kind of talent at RB to succeed. There is a RB available in the 2nd round of the draft many (probably most) years that would suffice, assuming ongoing investment in the O-line, which is where the resources proposed for Zeke should be allocated instead.

I’ll get torched for saying it but it’s bad cap management and roster building strategy to pay premium dollars at a non-premium position. If you want to invest heavily at RB because you think it’s essential to our run-first offenss, you should be doing it with draft picks, not cap dollars. Go ahead and draft Zeke’s replacement high (even in the 1st) if you must (not my preference). But under no circumstance should you ever be tying up a league-leading percentage of your cap at RB.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Dallas drafted two RBs in their recent draft. To me, this strongly indicates that the team wants to prolong Zeke's career.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
Dallas drafted two RBs in their recent draft. To me, this strongly indicates that the team wants to prolong Zeke's career.
I'll believe it when I see it in actual usage. Last year, Zeke's backups took 14% of the rushes by RBs. In 2014, Murray's monster year where they clearly weren't trying to protect him at all, his backups took 17%. Maybe they'll turn that around this year, but I'm not holding my breath.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'll believe it when I see it in actual usage. Last year, Zeke's backups took 14% of the rushes by RBs. In 2014, Murray's monster year where they clearly weren't trying to protect him at all, his backups took 17%. Maybe they'll turn that around this year, but I'm not holding my breath.

Your certainly entitled to keep breathing, that's for sure. I know we'll see more on that subject as the coming season evolves. Of course, there's always a question as to how much is too much. I'd say it's a safe bet that the fans here will see it both yea and nay.

Last edited:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Oh, it's defiantly change. RBs on running teams now still don't get carries like they use to. But 302 for Zeke and 370 for Smith isn't much difference when you take into account that Smith didn't take contact the way Zeke does. And if they keep using him in the passing game like they did last year then his touches will get into the 370s.

Smith does take more contact, and that's a reason to worry, but someone posted links to an analysis of RB wear and tear, where touches by receptions weren't really an issue.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Announcers talk during games. It is their job. On the other hand, Murray's fumbling issues appeared to be caused by how securely he held the ball at times in my opinion.
well murray only had 6 fumbles in 2014, then the one in playoff game and aikman talked about his fumbling issues every game.
elliot had 5 in 2016 and 6 in 2018 and aikman and others said nothing about that either year.
So why do you think that is??

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Ok I forgot to comment on what I underlined lol.
At least 2 of murrays fumbles, were literally ripped out, so had nothing to do with holding it securely.
In the GB game he was holding it loosely, and wasnt expecting someone from behind him to go for the ball.
Also though , just imo Murray had a broken bone in one hand, and they should have played randle in that game, not murray.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
well murray only had 6 fumbles in 2014, then the one in playoff game and aikman talked about his fumbling issues every game.
elliot had 5 in 2016 and 6 in 2018 and aikman and others said nothing about that either year.
So why do you think that is??
I attend games in person and do not hear announcers making observations of the game.

I watch games played on television, hear announcers commenting on the game and do not always agree with their observations.

Your insinuation is understood. However, the insinuation is not applicable in our singular conversation.

basel90

Reaction score
I think "generational talent" is a little overblown. Zeke is in a tier with Barkley and Gurley (assuming whatever was going on with Gurley late last season is resolved). Not sure how you have three generational talents show up in 4 years. And that's not even mentioning David Johnson (injured and misused) or Le'Veon Bell (wouldn't stand for being given the Murray treatment by Pittsburgh).

Frankly, to me, Zeke is just not all that special. I mean, yes, in the sense that he's a top-5 RB in the league. But he hasn't had a run longer than 41 yards in two years, he's not Johnson or Bell in the passing game, and he has been worked HARD, both in college and with the Cowboys. I'd be very nervous about the value Dallas would be getting on that second contract.
Agree , zeke is not generational talent . Did you see him against the rams ?
Plus , he is not as good of a receiver as demarco Murray was .
If he insists on a bigger contract , let him walk ...

JBond

Reaction score
The QB better make a major leap and the defense needs to be a legit top 5 turnover tough to score against machine OR...things can get ugly for the Cowboys IMO.

Zeke is a generational talent at RB and while Murray had a great year in 2014 and some decent ones prior...they aren't the same player despite sharing the same position. Zeke has HOF talent. Not sure you don't pay him.
I am not convinced he is a generational talent. He is very good. No doubt. Until we have a QB that can exploit the rules in place, stud RB's are nice, but they will not ultimately win championships. They best RB of the latest generation, Adrian Peterson, has little to show for all his tremendous effort and accomplishment. Not sure Zeke is as good as Peterson.