What is Dak's supposed "leverage"?

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Not really. Who’s going to pay big draft capital for a QB with 1 year left on his deal that can’t be tagged? Furthermore why would Dak even demand a trade when your scenario removes the injury risk which is the only real way he loses value?

If there was a trade, given how late we are in the offseason, you might get a 3rd with a chance of it being a 2nd.
Are you serious, any team that would try to trade for him would probably be ready to offer Dak a huge mega contract. JJ could fleece some team out of some HIGH draft picks which could help the Cowboys move way up in the 2025 draft.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
That is a strange why of wording the hypothetical demand. Dak Prescott owns the no trade clause of his agreement with the team, not Jerry Jones.

Thus, Prescott's brother would be required to demand his brother to rescind that particular language of his contract with the team. At that point, any teams could proactively proceed with any trade discussions with the Mad Genius per Prescott's permission.
The hypothetical demand was supposed to be funny, since Tad immediately implodes anytime someone posts anything about his brother. He considers any negative posts an attack against him................LOL! As for moving Prescot, I believe starting either Rush or Lance over him would result in an immediate trade demand since he doesn't want to ride the bench for an entire season.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Delusional.

Why not just tell Dak and the Raiders organization while you add it, that he is being traded to the Raiders for there 3 number one picks.
First off, did you read your post???????????? I will respond to it once you clean it up............LOL!!!!!!

Adreme

Reaction score
Are you serious, any team that would try to trade for him would probably be ready to offer Dak a huge mega contract. JJ could fleece some team out of some HIGH draft picks which could help the Cowboys move way up in the 2025 draft.
He really couldn't because its July. If this were February or March then sure buts its July and teams are pretty locked into their QB for the season already and do not really have the cap space to be taking on more salary. The Giants CANT move off Daniel Jones this season, the Steelers have already got their QB room situated, so basically it would just be the Raiders and even then Dak might not want to go to the Raiders so that deal is dead and the Raiders are probably a year away from mattering anyway so they have no reason to rush.

The big block buster trades for QBs happen early in the offseason, they do not happen late. If they happen late the value dramatically goes down.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I believe allowing both Rush and Lance to compete for the starting QB job is a big hail Mary, but it will force Prescot and his agents to come to their senses and allow JJ to shop him to other teams in the league. If JJ plays his cards right, he could fleece some NFL team out of a bunch of high draft picks. As for his brother Tad, if his Dak was benched in favor of either Rush or Lance he would implode and we would be treated to his outrageous internet posts every day demanding better treatment for his brother............LOL!
If Jerry Jones does not make a contract offer Dak is willing to sign Dak will be a free agent. The only thing Jerry controls is when. The owner of the Dallas Cowboys has no cards to play. None. Either does Tad. There will be no trade for Dak Prescott. This remains a fantasy for embittered Cowboys fans. Time to get over it.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
If Jerry Jones does not make a contract offer Dak is willing to sign Dak will be a free agent. The only thing Jerry controls is when. The owner of the Dallas Cowboys has no cards to play. None. Either does Tad. There will be no trade for Dak Prescott. This remains a fantasy for embittered Cowboys fans. Time to get over it.
Are you serious, anyone in the NFL can be traded regardless to how their contract reads. If the Boys decided to go with either Rush or Lance, do you really think Prescot would be willing to ride the bench for an entire season?????????? I believe the answer to that would be a huge NO, there is NO way Prescot would go for that, his agents would demand a meeting with the Cowboy brain trust to request a trade. Teams would line up with their best offers and I'm sure that some back door deal would be in play to get Prescot signed to a huge contract with his NEW team. The Cowboys could be in for a huge trade payday if something like this happened. Prescot cannot be trusted to lead this team to the promise land................

FVSTONE

Reaction score
He really couldn't because its July. If this were February or March then sure buts its July and teams are pretty locked into their QB for the season already and do not really have the cap space to be taking on more salary. The Giants CANT move off Daniel Jones this season, the Steelers have already got their QB room situated, so basically it would just be the Raiders and even then Dak might not want to go to the Raiders so that deal is dead and the Raiders are probably a year away from mattering anyway so they have no reason to rush.

The big block buster trades for QBs happen early in the offseason, they do not happen late. If they happen late the value dramatically goes down.
Never say never, anything is possible in the NFL, unless you think Prescot can lead the Cowboys to a SB, which that's NEVER going to happen...........

Chasing6

Reaction score
Are you serious, anyone in the NFL can be traded regardless to how their contract reads. If the Boys decided to go with either Rush or Lance, do you really think Prescot would be willing to ride the bench for an entire season?????????? I believe the answer to that would be a huge NO, there is NO way Prescot would go for that, his agents would demand a meeting with the Cowboy brain trust to request a trade. Teams would line up with their best offers and I'm sure that some back door deal would be in play to get Prescot signed to a huge contract with his NEW team. The Cowboys could be in for a huge trade payday if something like this happened. Prescot cannot be trusted to lead this team to the promise land................
Yes.

If I am Dak the only trade I would approve would be to a team of his choice and for a 4th round pick. Which is basically equivalent to a 3rd round comp pick.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
He would welcome being benched. It would be obvious to the entire league he’s not playing because Jerry Jones can’t force him to rescind the NTC. The Cowboys are already gaining the reputation as a team that does not want to pay star players. Too many good players have had to threaten or actually hold out to get the deals they want. Being spiteful towards Dak because you were stupid enough to grant him the NTC would tarnish Jerry’s reputation further. And there are 52 other players on the Cowboys roster. How do you think they’d feel about playing for a team so dysfunctional it purposely benches it‘s best QB because the team has regrets over a contract they agreed to. You’re an embittered fan. You just can’t get past Dak is the Cowboys quarterback again this season and if he doesn’t get a deal he likes from Jerry he’s simply going to leave. It eats you up that after that loss to the Packers Dak is still smiling. He’s being paid a lot. He’s going to be paid significantly more on his next contract. Yes, the Cowboys lost in the playoffs, but Dak Prescott, he comes out of it all smiles and wealthier than ever. The Cowboys will get a third round compensatory draft choice if he leaves. You don’t like that. It hurts. But Dak and his agent have beaten the Hall of Fame owner of the Dallas Cowboys. Badly. And there’s nothing Jerry can do about it, without Dak’s expressed consent. No trade, no “back door deal” although, ironically, that’s where Dak and his agent gave Jerry the last deal they signed.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
One thing just occurred to me: what if JJ and Dak have already come to an agreement but Jerry told Dak and his agent they'll get the whole contract thing done later? He knew that the Cowboys won't do anything worth talking about this off-season so that's the way Jerry keeps the thing he loves the most: attention.

Ok ok, taking off the aluminum hat now, but heck, I wouldn't put that past him. :laugh:

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I don't think the league thinks as highly of Dak as you want us all to believe. They all know that Dak is literally 99% likely to never get it done at this stage of his career. Who would be stupid enough to mortgage their future for that? Not even Jerry at this stage or he would have signed Dak by now if Dak was so valuable.

Chasing6

Reaction score
He would welcome being benched. It would be obvious to the entire league he’s not playing because Jerry Jones can’t force him to rescind the NTC. The Cowboys are already gaining the reputation as a team that does not want to pay star players. Too many good players have had to threaten or actually hold out to get the deals they want. Being spiteful towards Dak because you were stupid enough to grant him the NTC would tarnish Jerry’s reputation further. And there are 52 other players on the Cowboys roster. How do you think they’d feel about playing for a team so dysfunctional it purposely benches it‘s best QB because the team has regrets over a contract they agreed to. You’re an embittered fan. You just can’t get past Dak is the Cowboys quarterback again this season and if he doesn’t get a deal he likes from Jerry he’s simply going to leave. It eats you up that after that loss to the Packers Dak is still smiling. He’s being paid a lot. He’s going to be paid significantly more on his next contract. Yes, the Cowboys lost in the playoffs, but Dak Prescott, he comes out of it all smiles and wealthier than ever. The Cowboys will get a third round compensatory draft choice if he leaves. You don’t like that. It hurts. But Dak and his agent have beaten the Hall of Fame owner of the Dallas Cowboys. Badly. And there’s nothing Jerry can do about it, without Dak’s expressed consent. No trade, no “back door deal” although, ironically, that’s where Dak and his agent gave Jerry the last deal they signed.
If Jerry decides to sit Dak, then he has really turned into Al Davis.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
If Jerry decides to sit Dak, then he has really turned into Al Davis.
And if the league decided benching Dak without an obviously more tenable QB to take his place is the equivalent of tanking Goodell could strip the Cowboys of draft picks and fine the owner. Jerry Jones may be dumb, but he’s not stupid. It will never happen. There will be no trade for a haul of draft picks, or anything else. Embittered Cowboys fans that still obsess over the loss to the Packers and blame Dak for it will just have to get over their issues with Dak and at least get pleasure if he signs with another team.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
I don't think the league thinks as highly of Dak as you want us all to believe. They all know that Dak is literally 99% likely to never get it done at this stage of his career. Who would be stupid enough to mortgage their future for that? Not even Jerry at this stage or he would have signed Dak by now if Dak was so valuable.
I sure hope you're wrong about the league and right about JJ..............

FVSTONE

Reaction score
JJ has one last trick in his back pocket that he's dying to break out, it's just a little too early in the show for it.......................LOL!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
JJ has one last trick in his back pocket that he's dying to break out, it's just a little too early in the show for it.......................LOL!
Jerry Jones' only trick is to waive Dak Prescott. Jones still supports Prescott, so that trick will highly likely not be executed UNLESS another quarterback gives him reason for doing so. And even then he is still not likely to pull that rabbit out of his hat (see 2016).

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Suggesting that Cooper Rush is a better QB than Dak seems to be wishful thinking, to me. It wouldn't take any time at all for opposing QBs to figure out that a constant pass rush would surely be Rush's Waterloo.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
First of all, I have been called a Dak hater for my criticisms of his play, especially in big spots.

But any analysis that tries to mitigate his leverage by claiming Rush as is as good as him or "outplayed" him during that 5-1 stretch isn't a serious analysis.

In no world would the Cowboys be the same or better off with Cooper Rush as QB. In those 5 games in 2022, he completed less than 60% of his passes, 5 TDs to 3 interceptions with a rating of 80. He went 5-1 mostly because he didn't make a bunch of bad mistakes (except in the Philly game) and the schedule was pretty favorable for him. In no way, would the Cowboys be the same with a guy with a QB rating of 80.
Props for callin dude out on this. I never bothered to even look at this thread until now because I know that anybody who doesn't understand this negotiation dynamics and how Dak holds all the cards simply does not want to see it and isn't going to be swayed by anything anybody says here. The simple fact that the offense has averaged roughly 35 ppg in Dak's starts over the last 4 years and roughly 21 ppg when he doesn't should really be all you need to know. Yes the defense has thrown up some gems in back of Rush when Dak has been out in '21 and '22 but remember when the defense stunk in 2020? What were the backups' record that year? Simply put the defense has not been good enough to hold every team we play under 20 points so that we can win every game 20-17. They gave up 17,16 10 and 10 points in Rush's 4 wins in '22 and 16 in the game in '21. The one time they gave up more than 20? They lost. Can you imagine what the Cowboys' record would be with Dak at QB if the defense did that for 17 games? 15-2? 16-1? Dak has his warts and absolutely needs to figure out how to show up for the playoffs consistently.. but any claim that Rush could replace him must meet with as much ridicule as humanly possible.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First of all, I have been called a Dak hater for my criticisms of his play, especially in big spots.

But any analysis that tries to mitigate his leverage by claiming Rush as is as good as him or "outplayed" him during that 5-1 stretch isn't a serious analysis.

In no world would the Cowboys be the same or better off with Cooper Rush as QB. In those 5 games in 2022, he completed less than 60% of his passes, 5 TDs to 3 interceptions with a rating of 80. He went 5-1 mostly because he didn't make a bunch of bad mistakes (except in the Philly game) and the schedule was pretty favorable for him. In no way, would the Cowboys be the same with a guy with a QB rating of 80.
On the other hand...speculating on things that never actually happened...is ....speculation.

While you make a decent point...it's just conversation rather than fact. Using stats to predict future performance doesn't guarantee that prediction.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people didn't predict Brock Purdy in the super bowl. Maybe they did...I dunno!

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Props for callin dude out on this. I never bothered to even look at this thread until now because I know that anybody who doesn't understand this negotiation dynamics and how Dak holds all the cards simply does not want to see it and isn't going to be swayed by anything anybody says here. The simple fact that the offense has averaged roughly 35 ppg in Dak's starts over the last 4 years and roughly 21 ppg when he doesn't should really be all you need to know. Yes the defense has thrown up some gems in back of Rush when Dak has been out in '21 and '22 but remember when the defense stunk in 2020? What were the backups' record that year? Simply put the defense has not been good enough to hold every team we play under 20 points so that we can win every game 20-17. They gave up 17,16 10 and 10 points in Rush's 4 wins in '22 and 16 in the game in '21. The one time they gave up more than 20? They lost. Can you imagine what the Cowboys' record would be with Dak at QB if the defense did that for 17 games? 15-2? 16-1? Dak has his warts and absolutely needs to figure out how to show up for the playoffs consistently.. but any claim that Rush could replace him must meet with as much ridicule as humanly possible.
Wait....I'm trying to figure out how Dak holds all the cards by using Cooper. He isn't the only option.

Sincerely asking...no insult or fight intended.