What is Dak's supposed "leverage"?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak isn’t clinging to the Cowboys. Fans are not clinging to Dak. The owner of the Dallas Cowboys, however, can’t seem to let go of him. Dak Prescott remains the Dallas Cowboys’ quarterback because Jerry Jones will not move on from him. He’s the problem, not the fans or Dak himself.
Exactly.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Wait....I'm trying to figure out how Dak holds all the cards by using Cooper. He isn't the only option.

Sincerely asking...no insult or fight intended.
My and Sydla's analysis was in response to the OP's assertion that Rush "outplayed" Dak. Pretty much all the number say different. If folks want to have a discussion about a better QB replacing Dak this year or next I'm willing to have that conversation but the list of those guys goes maybe 5-6 deep and that's it. And to my knowledge none of them is going to be made available in trade any time soon. Because this team is good I have no interest in rebuilding around some supposed to be great rookie.

People screamed for the Cowboys to draft guys like Lawrence, Herbert Darnold, Fields to name a few and to this point none of them has played up to Dak's level. The only one of the new breed who has even come close to Dak's level is Stroud and I don't recall anybody standing on the table to trade up to get him last year. Maybe I missed it. And as great as the romanticized notion of Stroud is, he completed 63.5% of his passes to almost 69.5% for Dak. He had 23 TDs to 36 for Dak.. Dak passed for over 400 more yards, 13 more TDs, a passer rating 6 points higher, and a QBR 15 points higher. Dak threw for 36 more first downs! THIRTY SIX!!

The fact of the matter is that Dak is one of the 5 or 6 best QBs in the game and unless you are getting one of the other top 5 or 6 QBs in the game moving off of him makes little sense. I think it's much easier to simply stay away from the things Dak does not do well, maximize the things he does and build a better team around him than it is to find a better QB in the draft or free agency. I'm not here to tell anybody that Dak played great last year in the playoff game or in the 49er losses the two previous years. But that 49er defense makes a lot of guys look bad. It took Mahomes and CO. almost 5 quarters to put up 25 points against them. They were under 20 in regulation. The 49ers were a doinked extra point from winning that game 20-19 in regulation. What would be the perception of Mahomes if that happened? Having only put up 19 against that defense?

basel90

Reaction score
I keep reading about Dak supposedly having leverage in contract negotiations with the Cowboys, but what does he really have?
He has to be desirable for the Cowboys to want to sign him, but why should they want him back?
He has a proven record of choking in the biggest games every season.
Cooper Rush outplayed him when he came in during Dak's injury two years ago, going 5-1.
Dak single handedly cost the Cowboys the game versus the Packers last season in the playoffs, and cost McCarthy the win in his return to Green Bay the year before.
Dak promised to bring rings to the Cowboys with his last contract, but has consistently been the reason they don't win versus good teams and in the playoffs.
So what "leverage" does he supposedly have? He has a proven record of letting the Cowboys down every time they need him.
It would seem that he should be hoping and praying that Jerry is still gullible enough to give him another chance.
The leverage is pretty much a stability or season ticket normalcy leverage, as this is what dak gives the cowboys , good regualr season wins , stability , and lack of drama with 9-10 wins in a weak conference. If the cowboys were serious or smart enough about a SB , they would have made a bold move 3 years ago and moved from this expensive JAG of a QB. Stafford was available for 30 mil lesss a year and jerry wiffed. I strongly believe Stafford would have at least gotten the Cowboys to the SB if he was the QB with the cowboys.
Jerry and Stephen are just afraid to make a change as they have more than 250 million invested in Dak and they will look stupid.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Doesn't seem like it.

It is.
I agree with that. I worded my post as such to respect those who have a different opinion, even though I don't agree with it.

I don't see Rush as being better than Dak at all, even though there are some who insist he is. That's wishful thinking, imho.

Feel better now?

Last edited:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My and Sydla's analysis was in response to the OP's assertion that Rush "outplayed" Dak. Pretty much all the number say different. If folks want to have a discussion about a better QB replacing Dak this year or next I'm willing to have that conversation but the list of those guys goes maybe 5-6 deep and that's it. And to my knowledge none of them is going to be made available in trade any time soon. Because this team is good I have no interest in rebuilding around some supposed to be great rookie.

People screamed for the Cowboys to draft guys like Lawrence, Herbert Darnold, Fields to name a few and to this point none of them has played up to Dak's level. The only one of the new breed who has even come close to Dak's level is Stroud and I don't recall anybody standing on the table to trade up to get him last year. Maybe I missed it. And as great as the romanticized notion of Stroud is, he completed 63.5% of his passes to almost 69.5% for Dak. He had 23 TDs to 36 for Dak.. Dak passed for over 400 more yards, 13 more TDs, a passer rating 6 points higher, and a QBR 15 points higher. Dak threw for 36 more first downs! THIRTY SIX!!

The fact of the matter is that Dak is one of the 5 or 6 best QBs in the game and unless you are getting one of the other top 5 or 6 QBs in the game moving off of him makes little sense. I think it's much easier to simply stay away from the things Dak does not do well, maximize the things he does and build a better team around him than it is to find a better QB in the draft or free agency. I'm not here to tell anybody that Dak played great last year in the playoff game or in the 49er losses the two previous years. But that 49er defense makes a lot of guys look bad. It took Mahomes and CO. almost 5 quarters to put up 25 points against them. They were under 20 in regulation. The 49ers were a doinked extra point from winning that game 20-19 in regulation. What would be the perception of Mahomes if that happened? Having only put up 19 against that defense?
Thank you for taking the time to clarify. I admit difficulty in following long comments and long banter back and forths. I try to stick to face value comments....USUALLY works. Thanks for your patience.

Im one of the few that honestly foes not use wins and losses to evaluate every i dividusl position. I look at how the contribute to the game (and not JUST stats, but timliness and criticalness, for example).
if mshommes doesnt gift the other team 14 easy points....and they still lose, he doesnt get high heat from me.

Ive said the same thing about dak several times. He doesnt have to be a hero...just dont contribute THAT much to the loss.

leeblair

Reaction score
The leverage is pretty much a stability or season ticket normalcy leverage, as this is what dak gives the cowboys , good regualr season wins , stability , and lack of drama with 9-10 wins in a weak conference. If the cowboys were serious or smart enough about a SB , they would have made a bold move 3 years ago and moved from this expensive JAG of a QB. Stafford was available for 30 mil lesss a year and jerry wiffed. I strongly believe Stafford would have at least gotten the Cowboys to the SB if he was the QB with the cowboys.
Jerry and Stephen are just afraid to make a change as they have more than 250 million invested in Dak and they will look stupid.
Jerry and Stephen look stupid for keeping Dak.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to clarify. I admit difficulty in following long comments and long banter back and forths. I try to stick to face value comments....USUALLY works. Thanks for your patience.

Im one of the few that honestly foes not use wins and losses to evaluate every i dividusl position. I look at how the contribute to the game (and not JUST stats, but timliness and criticalness, for example).
if mshommes doesnt gift the other team 14 easy points....and they still lose, he doesnt get high heat from me.

Ive said the same thing about dak several times. He doesnt have to be a hero...just dont contribute THAT much to the loss.
:facepalm: Lord have mercy....

RonnieT24

Reaction score
You seem pretty in tune with dak comments here....im hoping you can help me understand...
We've got good qbs going all over the nfl...but some fans refuse to think dak cant or we lose forever.
Just cant comprehend the idea we cant win without any other qb but dak.
I guess im just too dense and thats okay.:)
We do? I dunno about this one man.. There's a reason why teams are constantly trading up in the draft trying to find a QB. Because MOST teams think their QB sucks.. This year's list:

AFC West
Mahomes - great QB, 1 of 1
Garappolo - Meh (probably going to be benched anyway)
Herbert - good QB I think, still waiting for his greatness to manifest
Denver QB - who knows!?!?

AFC North
Burrow - great QB can't stay healthy
Jackson - good QB, great runner, passing skills not playoff ready
Wilson, Russ - decent QB, seemingly washed though
Watson - used to be good but has not made it back from suspension

AFC East
Rodgers - great QB old and fragile
Allen - good QB, turnover machine
Tua - good young QB, fragile
Pats QB? - we don't even know who this guy is yet.

AFC South
Richardson - Still a huge question mark
Stroud - good rookie season needs to show it more than one year though
Lawrence - see Herbert
Tannehill - Have they replaced him permanently yet?

NFC West
Stafford - good QB old
Purdy - good QB, surrounded by even better team, still growing
Smith - decent QB, overrated based on one great year
Murray - really?

NFC North
Love - decent QB.. still a ways to go.
Williams - rook
Goff - good not great, room for improvement
McCarthy - rook

NFC East
Hurts - good QB but a gimmick who showed signs of being figured out.. might be headed for Lamar Jackson territory
Jones - LOL!
Daniels - rook
Dak - good not great, room for improvement.

NFC South
Young - uh uh
Mayfield - Meh
Carr - Meh
Cousins - decent QB, stats guy more than a winner though.

So about half the league has either a rook or a chump at QB. Of the ones I would call "good" QBs there are only 2 or 3 that I would rate as definitive upgrades over Dak. Can the Cowboys win with one of the ones who are right there with Dak in the "good but not great" category? Sure they could.. but how many of them are any cheaper than Dak? If you're not getting cheaper and you're not getting better then all you're really doing is trading out one guy's flaws for another's. I am also firmly of the belief that Dak is still getting better and will be better in years 2-5 under MCarthy than he was in year one. So there is still time for him to ascend into that "great" group.

Flamma

Reaction score
I agree with most of what you said, except for the Stafford comment. He's a Tony Romo clone with better arm strength, and not quite as good. Jerry will not put a team good enough around Stafford. We need a better QB.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I agree with most of what you said, except for the Stafford comment. He's a Tony Romo clone with better arm strength, and not quite as good. Jerry will not put a team good enough around Stafford. We need a better QB.
Yeah with how poorly our line has protected Dak these last several years I doubt we get 8 games a year out of a guy like Stafford.

Flamma

Reaction score
We do? I dunno about this one man.. There's a reason why teams are constantly trading up in the draft trying to find a QB. Because MOST teams think their QB sucks.. This year's list:

AFC West

AFC North

AFC East

AFC South
Lawrence - see Herbert

NFC West
Stafford - good QB old
Murray - really?

NFC North
Williams - rook
McCarthy - rook

NFC East
Hurts - good QB but a gimmick who showed signs of being figured out.. might be headed for Lamar Jackson territory
Jones - LOL!
Daniels - rook

NFC South
Young - uh uh
Mayfield - Meh
Carr - Meh

So about half the league has either a rook or a chump at QB. Of the ones I would call "good" QBs there are only 2 or 3 that I would rate as definitive upgrades over Dak. Can the Cowboys win with one of the ones who are right there with Dak in the "good but not great" category? Sure they could.. but how many of them are any cheaper than Dak? If you're not getting cheaper and you're not getting better then all you're really doing is trading out one guy's flaws for another's. I am also firmly of the belief that Dak is still getting better and will be better in years 2-5 under MCarthy than he was in year one. So there is still time for him to ascend into that "great" group.
That's an excellent assessment. You were probably being kind in some cases. I think he just meant we could probably make the playoffs with a lot of QBs around the league. We don't need to pay one 60M for that.

basel90

Reaction score
i agree with you . But don't you think, 3 years ago , stafford would have given the cowboys a better QB option especiallly in the playoffs with his arm strength and accuracy? Dak just gets rattled so quickly , too many times.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yeah with how poorly our line has protected Dak these last several years I doubt we get 8 games a year out of a guy like Stafford.
I agree with this 100%. The Rams stacked that team for him. The Cowboys never come close to doing that for our QBs.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
i agree with you . But don't you think, 3 years ago , stafford would have given the cowboys a better QB option especiallly in the playoffs with his arm strength and accuracy? Dak just gets rattled so quickly , too many times.
You do recall that Stafford led the NFL in interceptions and literally tried to throw the NFC Championship game to the 49ers? He might have been luckier than Dak but I question whether he was actually any better.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

AFC West

AFC North

AFC East

AFC South
Lawrence - see Herbert

NFC West
Stafford - good QB old
Murray - really?

NFC North
Williams - rook
McCarthy - rook

NFC East
Jones - LOL!
Daniels - rook

NFC South
Young - uh uh
Mayfield - Meh
Carr - Meh

Okay...thank you.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo had good arm strength...could LASER WIRE a pass 30 yards down field Not sure where you are coming from here./

It's the reason dez looked so good. Should I get some youtube clips to refresh your memory?

Come on man.

and YES...we DO need a BETTER QB!