What is Dak's supposed "leverage"?

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
His leverage should be, just give me a 2 year deal and go ahead and begin developing my replacement, meanwhile Ill prove myself once and for all to see

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
“Leverage” means nothing if one of the two parties has already decided to move on.

Assuming that isn’t the case, Prescott will have roughly 4-8 suitors that will pay him near top of the market money.

Dallas does not have 4-8 viable replacements at QB, possibly not even one, without a downgrade.

If Dak walks, either by his own choice or the team doesn’t want him, the only reasonable alternative is to go into tank/rebuild mode and hope you land a top QB with one of your high picks over the next several years.

There’s no middle ground to play here the way I see it.
Exactly, its really not more complicated than this.

Dak knows he is going to get paid, be it $50, $55, or even $60 million, some QB desperate team out there is going to pay Dak on the open Market. I mean come on, freaking Watson got $230 mill guaranteed so Dak will bank at least $200 easily himself. Again, its not what you think of Dak, you can think he is trash, but as the saying goes, "the value of an assett is soley determined by what somebody is willing to pay for that assett".

Bottom line.........Dak knows he is going to get paid, the only question is if it is by the Cowboys or by the Titans/Giants/Raiders ect....

Dallas does not have this luxury, in all likelihood the QB that replaces Dak will be a downgrade. Even if you believe Lance could be the guy, he is a complete unknown and will be an unrestricted free agent just like Dak. It pretty much does signal a rebuild and use a high pick on a top college QB over the next couple of years.

That is the leverage Dak has, if he walks or if you let him walk, it pretty much signals a rebuild for Dallas. If they resign Dak, then they are still good enough to "be around the rim" as Jerry says. Dak is good enough to beat the scrub teams in the league so that is 8-9 wins a year off the schedule, probably good enough for a wildcard berth most years. So, that is the leverage, remain a playoff caliber team with Dak or go into rebuild mode if he leaves. Either decision is cool with Dak, he is getting paid regardless since all that will change is the logo on his helmet, but will Dallas be willing to suck for couple of seasons to accumulate high draft picks..............that is the leverage Dak has.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
The minute the Cowboys decided to give Dak a no-trade clause after franchising him twice, they decided they were cool with "getting nothing" if they lost Dak. I would bet that they know that boat has sailed and so now what matters now is purely about tank vs. plugging the holes in the boat. The problem is that boat has some pretty big leaks.

I also agree that there is no middle ground. That's where we've been the last 3 years and that was the last contract. Since then Dak has been a legit MVP candidate and proven tanker in the playoffs. You can guess what stance each side will in the negotiations. This comes down to the gut of Jerry Jones...and this will be his legacy. These are the last series of monumental decisions that Jerry will be capable of making once dementia, senility and/or Father Time gets a hold of him. The end comes for all of us and always before we are ready for it.

I think Jerry will ultimately sign Dak...against his will. He's very stubborn...but...he knows just about out of time.
Good points.............I agree, I personally do not think Jerry is willing to go into full tank rebuild mode with a young unproven QB (be it Lance or a rookie from the draft).

With Dak, you are a playoff team....................without him, you might not be....................Is Jerry willing to take that chance.............I dont think he will, I think Jerry ultimately bites his tongue and signs Dak.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Here is the problem I have with this "lets go with Lance" idea.

Shanny, one of the greatest offensive minds in the league, watched this dude in practice everyday and came to the conclusion that trading him for a day 3 pick and a bologna sandwich was better value. That sends up red flags for Beast.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
First of all, I have been called a Dak hater for my criticisms of his play, especially in big spots.

But any analysis that tries to mitigate his leverage by claiming Rush as is as good as him or "outplayed" him during that 5-1 stretch isn't a serious analysis.

In no world would the Cowboys be the same or better off with Cooper Rush as QB. In those 5 games in 2022, he completed less than 60% of his passes, 5 TDs to 3 interceptions with a rating of 80. He went 5-1 mostly because he didn't make a bunch of bad mistakes (except in the Philly game) and the schedule was pretty favorable for him. In no way, would the Cowboys be the same with a guy with a QB rating of 80.
Exactly..........the folks that say "5-1" proves Rush is a better QB than Dak obviously have never taken a statistics class in their life.

Its called "small sample size bias".

Same goes for the people that say "I want to see Lance in preseason and determine if he is starting material to replace Dak". Again, small sample size bias. Even if Lance looks lights out in preseason, it is a grand total of 3 games. You can't logically make any long-term conclusions or decisions based on a 3-game sample size and use that data as your justification to move on from an 8-year starter. That is just stupid to even ponder.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
They pay him $29 million for this season if he’s on the 53 man roster for all 17 games. Where do you come up with having to pay Dak $53 million this year and $40+ million next year? You’re just making that up. They can cut him now and not owe him another cent. All his guaranteed pay from his current contract has already been paid. Do better than making up nonsense thinking anyone here is stupid enough to not know better.
The posters is talking about the cap hits, Daks cap hit this year is $55.4 for 2024 and $40.6 in 2025. (from Spotrac.com)

The following amounts must be accounted for on the cap and even if Dak leaves as a free agent the remaining proration of singing and restructure from 2025-2028 accelerates into the 2025 cap resulting in a $40 million cap hit next year even if Dak leaves as a free agent.

Let me repeat this for its important to understand, the Cowboys will be accessed $40,466,000 on their 2025 salary cap even if Dak leaves as a free agent and there is nothing that can be done to change this but a new extension for Dak. Here is the official breakdown of what charges will be accessed. This is why when you restructure you just kick the can down the road and if the player leaves, it accelerates all at once.

Signing bonus proration 2024..........$13.2 million
Restructure proration 2024..............$13.2 million

....................Dak leaves as free agent...................

Signing bonus proration 2025..........$13.2 million
Restructure proration 2025..............$13.2 million
Restructure proration 2026..............$12 million
Restructure proration 2027..............$1 million
Restructure proration 2028..............$1 million

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly, its really not more complicated than this.

Dak knows he is going to get paid, be it $50, $55, or even $60 million, some QB desperate team out there is going to pay Dak on the open Market. I mean come on, freaking Watson got $230 mill guaranteed so Dak will bank at least $200 easily himself. Again, its not what you think of Dak, you can think he is trash, but as the saying goes, "the value of an assett is soley determined by what somebody is willing to pay for that assett".

Bottom line.........Dak knows he is going to get paid, the only question is if it is by the Cowboys or by the Titans/Giants/Raiders ect....

Dallas does not have this luxury, in all likelihood the QB that replaces Dak will be a downgrade. Even if you believe Lance could be the guy, he is a complete unknown and will be an unrestricted free agent just like Dak. It pretty much does signal a rebuild and use a high pick on a top college QB over the next couple of years.

That is the leverage Dak has, if he walks or if you let him walk, it pretty much signals a rebuild for Dallas. If they resign Dak, then they are still good enough to "be around the rim" as Jerry says. Dak is good enough to beat the scrub teams in the league so that is 8-9 wins a year off the schedule, probably good enough for a wildcard berth most years. So, that is the leverage, remain a playoff caliber team with Dak or go into rebuild mode if he leaves. Either decision is cool with Dak, he is getting paid regardless since all that will change is the logo on his helmet, but will Dallas be willing to suck for couple of seasons to accumulate high draft picks..............that is the leverage Dak has.
There's been a lot of big name QB's moving around the league in the last few years...did ALL those teams UPGRADE their QB position?

Of course not.

Seems like most teams are willing to move on, and take their chances with a rebuild...or at least a smaller QB contract.

Here in Dallas...."we" (fans and execs)....believe we can;t possibly have any kind of future without Dak prescott.

It's weird.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With Dak, you are a playoff team....................without him, you might not be....................Is Jerry willing to take that chance.............I dont think he will, I think Jerry ultimately bites his tongue and signs Dak.
This thought process and outcome is very likely to happen given Jerry Jones' past decision-making at the position. No one is not required to accept the possibility, especially if they do not want the possibility to come true, but everyone should at least consider the possibility happening.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why? Finding a new QB doesn't mean you have to rebuild the team.
You seem pretty in tune with dak comments here....im hoping you can help me understand...
We've got good qbs going all over the nfl...but some fans refuse to think dak cant or we lose forever.
Just cant comprehend the idea we cant win without any other qb but dak.
I guess im just too dense and thats okay.:)

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
You seem pretty in tune with dak comments here....im hoping you can help me understand...
We've got good qbs going all over the nfl...but some fans refuse to think dak cant or we lose forever.
Dak isn’t clinging to the Cowboys. Fans are not clinging to Dak. The owner of the Dallas Cowboys, however, can’t seem to let go of him. Dak Prescott remains the Dallas Cowboys’ quarterback because Jerry Jones will not move on from him. He’s the problem, not the fans or Dak himself.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Dak isn’t clinging to the Cowboys. Fans are not clinging to Dak. The owner of the Dallas Cowboys, however, can’t seem to let go of him. Dak Prescott remains the Dallas Cowboys’ quarterback because Jerry Jones will not move on from him. He’s the problem, not the fans or Dak himself.
The Owner failed to have a plan to let go of him!!!

Similar to our RB plan.

Or our DT plan.

Am I missing anything???

Flamma

Reaction score
I don't get it either. If we have a good team, I think we can make the playoffs without Dak. Probably not 12 wins, but playoffs. That seems to be the target. With Lance, I think we get a high draft pick in 2026.

That said, I fully expect Dak gets an extension from the Cowboys.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There's been a lot of big name QB's moving around the league in the last few years...did ALL those teams UPGRADE their QB position?

Of course not.

Seems like most teams are willing to move on, and take their chances with a rebuild...or at least a smaller QB contract.

Here in Dallas...."we" (fans and execs)....believe we can;t possibly have any kind of future without Dak prescott.

It's weird.
There you go making crap up. But you feel better now right?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There you go making crap up. But you feel better now right?
It's just an opinion. You should calm down a little bit.

If you want to refute it or disagree...you could try being civil about it.

Weren't you the one that said we'd be crippled for 5-10 years to come?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't get it either. If we have a good team, I think we can make the playoffs without Dak. Probably not 12 wins, but playoffs. That seems to be the target. With Lance, I think we get a high draft pick in 2026.

That said, I fully expect Dak gets an extension from the Cowboys.
Yep...I don't disagree that Dak gets signed again.

I'm not sure where Lance stands...I think just because there's not a lot of information doesn't mean he's instantly and automatically a failure. I'll wait and see for myself if he makes it that far (TC/PS playing time).

The world might not be filled with "elite" QB's, but sure there are a few that can play and win with The Cowboys, even if a year or two away while we "reconfigure".

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
Good points.............I agree, I personally do not think Jerry is willing to go into full tank rebuild mode with a young unproven QB (be it Lance or a rookie from the draft).

Unfortunately, you are right. And Jerry MIGHT be ready to wildcat again...but Stephen and Will McClay are probably not ready to do that.