What is Dak's supposed "leverage"?

Sydla

Reaction score
So you believe GM Jethro is shopping Dak around, to a list of teams that has not been approved, while at the same time they are trying to extend him???
More than likely, if this is happening, Jerry has given Dak and his agent permission to seek out a trade. Granted, this should have been done 3 months ago if it is happening.

Personally, I think this is just Jerry being Jerry and he's stalling because he thinks he can wait out Dak OR he's really unsure if he wants to pay Dak all that money.

Chasing6

Reaction score
More than likely, if this is happening, Jerry has given Dak and his agent permission to seek out a trade. Granted, this should have been done 3 months ago if it is happening.

Personally, I think this is just Jerry being Jerry and he's stalling because he thinks he can wait out Dak OR he's really unsure if he wants to pay Dak all that money.
This is not happening.

You second paragraph is more likely. GM Jethro has no idea what he is doing. So he just waits.

He is more than likely waiting out Stephen, than France and Dak.

Sully

Reaction score
Dak has leverage because he's going to make $60M after this season no matter what the Cowboys do. He has zero reason to cave to any contract demands Jerry would have for him.
That is depending on IF Dak does NOT get injured. Yes, like Kirk Cousin, he is betting on himself. And that is fine. But like Cousins, who has noce regular season stats with subpar stats in the post season. The biggest one being both have poor playoff WINS/LOSSES. But players #1 care is the money. Same with the owners. But fans #1 care is WINNING. And with that, the jar has been empty for 30 years.

Chasing6

Reaction score
That is depending on IF Dak does NOT get injured. Yes, like Kirk Cousin, he is betting on himself. And that is fine. But like Cousins, who has noce regular season stats with subpar stats in the post season. The biggest one being both have poor playoff WINS/LOSSES. But players #1 care is the money. Same with the owners. But fans #1 care is WINNING. And with that, the jar has been empty for 30 years.
Are you arguing for or against? You bring up cousins who just got paid and is significantly older and has not played at Dak's level.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So you believe GM Jethro is shopping Dak around, to a list of teams that has not been approved, while at the same time they are trying to extend him???
Well. This question came WAY out of left field. Let's... let's go back and look at this zany sub-conversation from the beginning. I will throw in my two cents in red along the way:

Dak has “leverage” because his agent probably keeps putting out there that he does. If he was so pursued feelers would’ve been put out there for a trade for his services but nothing like that has been suggested even in the rumor mill.
This conjecture was made on the assumption interested teams would contact Jerry Jones to discern whether a trade might be possible IF both Dak Prescott and he agreed to the proposed terms. This conjecture neither misinterprets or disputes the NFL definition of a no trade clause.

Have you heard of or comprehensive what a no trade clause is?

This is when I became curious whether you knew what a no trade clause was.

That literally doesn’t mean “No Trade At All”.

This is a correct conclusion based on the term's definition.

Dak has made it pretty clear he is fine with being a FA next year. If he wanted to be traded he would have asked for one a long time ago.

Give it up already.

While your assumption may be completely valid, it has nothing to do with what Sultan said, which was the conjecture that teams could have contacted Jones about the possibility of a trade. Your conclusion hinges solely on what Prescott said and may do. That viewpoint was not originally made for anyone to counter.

LOL. You said he has an NTC. I said that doesn’t literally mean he can’t be traded. He can. Which is factual.

None of that has anything to do with what I said, which was that no other organization has even put out any feelers whatsoever for what it would take to get such a supposedly great QB. That’s because no one thinks he’s so great that they’re willing to give up anything for him. He apparently has so much leverage it is said, yet no one is even tapping on his door.

This was a rehash of the original point.

He can't be traded. He can ask for a trade. Not the same thing.

This is incorrect. Prescott can be traded IF he agrees to the terms of the trade proposal. It is literally the reason why he and his agent had the language included in his current contract.

He has to agree to the trade. It doesn’t literally mean he can’t be traded like I said. Stop manipulating language.

This is an accurate observation, which is why I poked my nose into the sub-conversation with:

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-trade-deadline-information-faq

What is a no-trade clause?

A no-trade clause is a stipulation in a contract that allows a player to reject any proposed trade in which they are involved. No-trade clauses may also feature variations, such as provisions stating a list of pre-determined teams a player is willing to waive the no-trade clause for or one that allows a team to only trade a player during a certain period of time.

You are putting the cart in front of the horse. @SultanOfSix is correct. Other teams can submit a trade offer to Jerry Jones. You are correct Dak Prescott can reject any trade offer he does not agree with.

Your latest counterpoint involves Prescott initiating a trade scenario, that Jones must agree with, in order for Dallas to submit a proposal to another team. Your alternative is another hypothetical that does not negate the first point Sultan initially made.

Now. Back to your reply to me. Read carefully...

I NEVER SAID JONES WAS SHOPPING PRESCOTT TO ANY TEAMS! Other teams can initiate a trade conversation with Jones REGARDLESS of any possible form of negotiations occurring between Prescott and him.

Please respond with something else outside the initial conversational point. Hopefully, I have put the sub-convo back on track. Any additional attempt to purposefully or cluelessly derail it again will be an interesting read to be sure.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anyone who actually believes Rush out played or is better than Dak just lemme know so I can hit ignore.
I received a text from Snoopy, completely out of the blue. It said, "ARF! ARF! ARF ARF ARF GRRR ARF!" Needless to say, I used Google Translator to decipher his message, which says, "Tell him to ignore Charlie Brown ARRRGGGHHH!"

Reactions: CWR

Chasing6

Reaction score
People keep talking about playoff wins.

NFL contracts typically have absolutely nothing to do with the playoffs. It is based on the regular season games only. Playoff games have separate payouts that are the same for every player.

When a contract comes out that pays a player more for a playoff win than they do for a regular season game then at that point I will agree it comes down to playoff wins.

I have never seen a contract that goes beyond a 17 week season. If anything their maybe some bonuses and those bonuses for QB's are significantly less than what they get paid per week during the regular season.

How many playoff wins does Trevor Lawrence have???

JBS

Reaction score
this is true...is it true for this FO the way it is ran though? Again im not saying "Keep Dak or we suck" because i actually believe he is leaving because he is done with Jerry...I'm saying you have alot of faith in Jerry that he certainly has not earned if you think it could be a "Quick" turnaround...not that what we have now works either because this FO has sucked for 28 years...
I’m not saying it will be. I agree that it’s a lose lose no matter what they do. So it doesn’t matter.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
So it’s a lose lose no matter what we do. That’s probably true. So who cares what they do
It just depends. Do I think this team has become a contender based on some masterful skill by these front office wizards? I don’t. Could they go it again? Possibly. If be more confident if I’d see them do it but I haven’t seen any plan.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I keep reading about Dak supposedly having leverage in contract negotiations with the Cowboys, but what does he really have?
He has to be desirable for the Cowboys to want to sign him, but why should they want him back?
He has a proven record of choking in the biggest games every season.
Cooper Rush outplayed him when he came in during Dak's injury two years ago, going 5-1.
Dak single handedly cost the Cowboys the game versus the Packers last season in the playoffs, and cost McCarthy the win in his return to Green Bay the year before.
Dak promised to bring rings to the Cowboys with his last contract, but has consistently been the reason they don't win versus good teams and in the playoffs.
So what "leverage" does he supposedly have? He has a proven record of letting the Cowboys down every time they need him.
It would seem that he should be hoping and praying that Jerry is still gullible enough to give him another chance.
Daks leverage was based on his crippling cap hit this year and no-trade clause. If we were actually going to try and load up for a run this year, his cap hit would have forced the team into a new deal. But, If the team is willing to eat it, he has no leverage other than sitting out until he gets a deal.

I think he's looking at 35-40M/year somewhere else next year, barring a super bowl run which is laughably unlikely.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Daks leverage was based on his crippling cap hit this year and no-trade clause. If we were actually going to try and load up for a run this year, his cap hit would have forced the team into a new deal. But, If the team is willing to eat it, he has no leverage other than sitting out until he gets a deal.

I think he's looking at 35-40M/year somewhere else next year, barring a super bowl run which is laughably unlikely.
What makes you think those numbers when everyone in the actual business of this is saying "50 to 55 but 60 is in the realm" ? I dont really care what Dak gets because he wont be a Cowboy at that point..just pointing out every analyst is saying much higher than that.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I really don't understand the injury argument. Yes there is the .01% of injuries which are the career ending type, but outside of that how often does injury effect a player getting paid? Dak had about as bad of an injury as you'll see before his last deal and still got paid. Cousins who you mentioned missed 9 games last year because of injury and still got paid at age 36.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Well. This question came WAY out of left field. Let's... let's go back and look at this zany sub-conversation from the beginning. I will throw in my two cents in red along the way:

This conjecture was made on the assumption interested teams would contact Jerry Jones to discern whether a trade might be possible IF both Dak Prescott and he agreed to the proposed terms. This conjecture neither misinterprets or disputes the NFL definition of a no trade clause.

This is when I became curious whether you knew what a no trade clause was.

This is a correct conclusion based on the term's definition.

While your assumption may be completely valid, it has nothing to do with what Sultan said, which was the conjecture that teams could have contacted Jones about the possibility of a trade. Your conclusion hinges solely on what Prescott said and may do. That viewpoint was not originally made for anyone to counter.

This was a rehash of the original point.

This is incorrect. Prescott can be traded IF he agrees to the terms of the trade proposal. It is literally the reason why he and his agent had the language included in his current contract.

This is an accurate observation, which is why I poked my nose into the sub-conversation with:

Now. Back to your reply to me. Read carefully...

I NEVER SAID JONES WAS SHOPPING PRESCOTT TO ANY TEAMS! Other teams can initiate a trade conversation with Jones REGARDLESS of any possible form of negotiations occurring between Prescott and him.

Please respond with something else outside the initial conversational point. Hopefully, I have put the sub-convo back on track. Any additional attempt to purposefully or cluelessly derail it again will be an interesting read to be sure.
Of course anyone can do anything. Dak has made it clear he is comfortable gambling on himself and playing out the year.

Translation = He will not be traded.

Teams can call around. GM Jethro can call around(doubtful) Fans on this site can continue to speculate, wish, hope, theorize all they want about Dak being traded.

Dak is not disgruntled. He has shown up to every event mandatory or otherwise. He is in good spirits. He is at peace with it. He has been in this situation before. Him and his agent asked for the no trade clause for a reason. I actually think Dak enjoys it. It is motivating to him.

If GM Jethro can't figure it out, Dak will be in a position to be the highest paid player in the NFL or have the opportunity to take less on a team he feels are ready to make a deep run.

Why would he not follow in Peyton Manning's footsteps in Denver, Tom Brady's footstep in TB, or what Aaron Rodgers is attempting to do in NY, while getting paid at the same time? And in this situation it would even be much better because his new team would not have to give up any picks.

It is not hard to figure it out. Maybe the reason GM Jethro had not signed Dak is because he can't. Every day that goes by, it is more likely that Dak wants to test Free Agency.

Dak and France are 1,000% in control of the situation. It is not personal, it is business, isn't that what Owners and GM's say all the time?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Of course anyone can do anything. Dak has made it clear he is comfortable gambling on himself and playing out the year.

Translation = He will not be traded.

Teams can call around. GM Jethro can call around(doubtful) Fans on this site can continue to speculate, wish, hope, theorize all they want about Dak being traded.

Dak is not disgruntled. He has shown up to every event mandatory or otherwise. He is in good spirits. He is at peace with it. He has been in this situation before. Him and his agent asked for the no trade clause for a reason. I actually think Dak enjoys it. It is motivating to him.

If GM Jethro can't figure it out, Dak will be in a position to be the highest paid player in the NFL or have the opportunity to take less on a team he feels are ready to make a deep run.

Why would he not follow in Peyton Manning's footsteps in Denver, Tom Brady's footstep in TB, or what Aaron Rodgers is attempting to do in NY, while getting paid at the same time? And in this situation it would even be much better because his new team would not have to give up any picks.

It is not hard to figure it out. Maybe the reason GM Jethro had not signed Dak is because he can't. Every day that goes by, it is more likely that Dak wants to test Free Agency.

Dak and France are 1,000% in control of the situation. It is not personal, it is business, isn't that what Owners and GM's say all the time?
This 100%, Dak's team is not dumb, they have shown this before...they know where the money is and have a clear path to it..why would they hurt their own case? Kinda like "He will get Cosuins money" no as much as some here care about what happens to Dak personally even with another team...he will get 50+ on the open market..it is what it is.

Chasing6

Reaction score
This 100%, Dak's team is not dumb, they have shown this before...they know where the money is and have a clear path to it..why would they hurt their own case? Kinda like "He will get Cosuins money" no as much as some here care about what happens to Dak personally even with another team...he will get 50+ on the open market..it is what it is.
GM Jethro is most likely still waiting for France to call him. France has a no reason to call Jethro.