What is Dak's supposed "leverage"?

leeblair

Reaction score
His leverage is Jerald's muleheaded belief in Dak.
Jerald is determined to prove that Dak can get us a Super Bowl.
Then all will say "That Jerry has a keen eye for talent, taking Prescott in the 4th and discovering a diamond. Hey, we need season tickets!"
Jerry is delusional.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Dak has made it pretty clear he is fine with being a FA next year. If he wanted to be traded he would have asked for one a long time ago.

Give it up already.
LOL. You said he has an NTC. I said that doesn’t literally mean he can’t be traded. He can. Which is factual.

None of that has anything to do with what I said, which was that no other organization has even put out any feelers whatsoever for what it would take to get such a supposedly great QB. That’s because no one thinks he’s so great that they’re willing to give up anything for him. He apparently has so much leverage it is said, yet no one is even tapping on his door.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
LOL. You said he has an NTC. I said that doesn’t literally mean he can’t be traded. He can. Which is factual.

None of that has anything to do with what I said, which was that no other organization has even put out any feelers whatsoever for what it would take to get such a supposedly great QB. That’s because no one thinks he’s so great that they’re willing to give up anything for him. He apparently has so much leverage it is said, yet no one is even tapping on his door.
Every team knows he’ll be a free agent in March. Every team knows he’s going to be expensive. He’ll be signing for more than $55 million AAV, $200 million guaranteed. A team would be foolish to entertain that kind of financial commitment and give up draft and/or player assets for the opportunity to do it when they have a chance to sign him as a free agent. If Dak is with the Cowboys in 2025 he’ll be paid more than Jerry Jones wants to pay him. If he’s not with the Cowboys for the 2025 season Dallas gets a third round comp draft pick in 2026 for losing him in free agency. He demanded the NTC so he could become a free agent, not because he’d ever consider allowing Jerry Jones to trade him. Remember Dak got tagged? So does Dak. The only thing Dak Prescott is going to wave (waive) for Jerry is his middle finger when he gets the extension that pleases him or he leaves the Cowboys’ facility for the last time.

Chasing6

Reaction score

He can't be traded. He can ask for a trade. Not the same thing.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I keep reading about Dak supposedly having leverage in contract negotiations with the Cowboys, but what does he really have?
He has to be desirable for the Cowboys to want to sign him, but why should they want him back?
He has a proven record of choking in the biggest games every season.
Cooper Rush outplayed him when he came in during Dak's injury two years ago, going 5-1.
Dak single handedly cost the Cowboys the game versus the Packers last season in the playoffs, and cost McCarthy the win in his return to Green Bay the year before.
Dak promised to bring rings to the Cowboys with his last contract, but has consistently been the reason they don't win versus good teams and in the playoffs.
So what "leverage" does he supposedly have? He has a proven record of letting the Cowboys down every time they need him.
It would seem that he should be hoping and praying that Jerry is still gullible enough to give him another chance.
He has the leverage because he can do whatever he wants. Dallas or free agency, and Dallas still has to pay him this year and next year anyway. Dallas has zero options, zero leverage. Can’t trade him; can’t franchise him; they must pay him 53 million or more this year whether they play him or not. They must pay him at least 40.46 million in 2025 even if he signs with another team.

That’s why Dak has all the leverage in negotiations. He can clearly break the bank if he hits free agency, and Dallas will still owe him 40 million, and they have no viable option to take over at QB. Jerry Jones doesn’t like giving money away for nothing, and who want to pay a star WR top money but have no franchise QB to get him the ball?

Chasing6

Reaction score
I mean Lance wasn’t a top 40 QB last year (as he lost his job to Darnold who is somewhere around there) but it’s possible he has improved enough to be one this year. That isn’t an unreasonable amount of growth in one year.
Only way he improves is through playing time. He has not consistently played since 2019.

Adreme

Reaction score
I don't think many teams want a quarterback who's history shows that he freezes up against good teams.
And they will certainly use that history as a negotiating tool if they do approach him.
Moreover, if the Cowboys show the rest of the NFL that they no longer believe in Dak’s potential, other teams will take notice of that, too.
DAK HAS NO LEVERAGE! If the Cowboys send the signal to the rest of the NFL that they no longer believe in him, Dak will be lucky to get a one year "prove it" deal with another team.
Most teams want a top 10 QB in their prime. Most teams want an all pro QB in their prime. I get you don’t watch other teams so you don’t realize Dak’s numbers basically mirror other top QBs in the playoffs but they do.

Here is the final nail in your argument, when the annual ranking done by GMs, scouts, and coaches comes out, Dak will absolutely be a top 10 QB. Those are the people who will be paying Dak.

The GMs don’t need to care about “potential”, but would be paying him for what he is: a definitive top 10 QB. If the Cowboys balk at paying him, someone else will. Top FAs don’t suddenly become less valuable because their original team let them walk. We have seen NUMEROUS examples of that.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
He has the leverage because he can do whatever he wants. Dallas or free agency, and Dallas still has to pay him this year and next year anyway. Dallas has zero options, zero leverage. Can’t trade him; can’t franchise him; they must pay him 53 million or more this year whether they play him or not. They must pay him at least 40.46 million in 2025 even if he signs with another team.

That’s why Dak has all the leverage in negotiations. He can clearly break the bank if he hits free agency, and Dallas will still owe him 40 million, and they have no viable option to take over at QB. Jerry Jones doesn’t like giving money away for nothing, and who want to pay a star WR top money but have no franchise QB to get him the ball?
They pay him $29 million for this season if he’s on the 53 man roster for all 17 games. Where do you come up with having to pay Dak $53 million this year and $40+ million next year? You’re just making that up. They can cut him now and not owe him another cent. All his guaranteed pay from his current contract has already been paid. Do better than making up nonsense thinking anyone here is stupid enough to not know better.

Chasing6

Reaction score
He has to agree to the trade. It doesn’t literally mean he can’t be traded like I said. Stop manipulating language.
He needs to ask for a trade. You think GM Jethro is trying to shop him around without his permission?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-trade-deadline-information-faq

What is a no-trade clause?

A no-trade clause is a stipulation in a contract that allows a player to reject any proposed trade in which they are involved. No-trade clauses may also feature variations, such as provisions stating a list of pre-determined teams a player is willing to waive the no-trade clause for or one that allows a team to only trade a player during a certain period of time.

He needs to ask for a trade. You think GM Jethro is trying to shop him around without his permission?
You are putting the cart in front of the horse. @SultanOfSix is correct. Other teams can submit a trade offer to Jerry Jones. You are correct Dak Prescott can reject any trade offer he does not agree with.

Your latest counterpoint involves Prescott initiating a trade scenario, that Jones must agree with, in order for Dallas to submit a proposal to another team. Your alternative is another hypothetical that does not negate the first point Sultan initially made.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
His leverage is that Jerry is an old man. A washed up shell of what he once was. Like most 80 year old people Jerry lives his life scared and risk adverse. The unknown is terrifying for him. Fifty year old Jerry would shake his head at 80 year old Jerry.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
He apparently has so much leverage it is said, yet no one is even tapping on his door.
To be honest, this doesn't have much to do with leverage.
  • Why would a team inquire about a trade???? We haven't read or heard that he or Jerry was seeking a trade.
  • Dak will become a free agent after the end of the season. The Cowboys will get a 3rd round comp pick.
  • The only way to keep him off the market is to pay him what he wants or give him a blank check.
  • I know it's hard for some to accept but Dak now controls how this will end 100%. You can thank Jerry for that.

CWR

Reaction score
Anyone who actually believes Rush out played or is better than Dak just lemme know so I can hit ignore. It's clear yall operate on emotion and agenda. There won't be any meaningful conversation.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
We aren’t hanging out at the rim and letting Dak walk doesn’t mean they will suck forever. No. That’s not how it works. Teams turnaround quickly in this sport. We’ve seen franchises build 2 or 3 different teams into winners before we have done so once. So no.
this is true...is it true for this FO the way it is ran though? Again im not saying "Keep Dak or we suck" because i actually believe he is leaving because he is done with Jerry...I'm saying you have alot of faith in Jerry that he certainly has not earned if you think it could be a "Quick" turnaround...not that what we have now works either because this FO has sucked for 28 years...

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
We aren’t hanging out at the rim and letting Dak walk doesn’t mean they will suck forever. No. That’s not how it works. Teams turnaround quickly in this sport. We’ve seen franchises build 2 or 3 different teams into winners before we have done so once. So no.
We’ve seen teams do it. But I wouldn’t call a Jerry led front office a true team or organization.

Chasing6

Reaction score
https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-trade-deadline-information-faq

What is a no-trade clause?

A no-trade clause is a stipulation in a contract that allows a player to reject any proposed trade in which they are involved. No-trade clauses may also feature variations, such as provisions stating a list of pre-determined teams a player is willing to waive the no-trade clause for or one that allows a team to only trade a player during a certain period of time.

You are putting the cart in front of the horse. @SultanOfSix is correct. Other teams can submit a trade offer to Jerry Jones. You are correct Dak Prescott can reject any trade offer he does not agree with.

Your latest counterpoint involves Prescott initiating a trade scenario, that Jones must agree with, in order for Dallas to submit a proposal to another team. Your alternative is another hypothetical that does not negate the first point Sultan initially made.
So you believe GM Jethro is shopping Dak around, to a list of teams that has not been approved, while at the same time they are trying to extend him???