Image: What is Jaylon Smith doing on this play?

Creeper

Reaction score
Watch every player on defense. Crawford gets blown out. Woods gets blown out. Hill gets blown out. Woods misses a tackle in the hole Thomas gets blocked out. Smith is lost. These are just incapable players. This is the worst front 7 in the NFL by far.

We had the same problem last year. The opponent's offensive line can do just about anything, traps, cross blocks, zone blocks, you name it. They all work because the Cowboys DL is weak. There is no immovable object on the defense.

Jaylon Smith is a problem, but he is one one of about 10 problems on defense

MiddleStar

Reaction score
Watch Jaylon. It looks like he diagnoses the play, realizes Hunt has the ball, he runs towards Hunt to make the tackle, then when Hunt stumbles around the 9-yard line, Jaylon inexplicably peaks back at the backfield instead of making the tackle.

yvmRjeP.gif

I by no means am a Jaylon supporter, in fact I want him benched as soon as possible, but he didn't do anything wrong on this play.

The defensive line is in a slant to the left, funneling it to the LB overstack on the left. At the snap all of the defensive linemen go to the left. The ones that blow it on this play are A. Woods(99), Crawford (98), A. Smith (58?)- cant see number, and X. Woods (25). Griffen (97) has the back side contain.

A. Woods is the one that screws up the most. Instead of slanting to the left he for some reason turns and starts to follow the center that is pulling. If he stays on his slant he meets the ball carrier at 15 yard line. Instead, they didn't even have to block Woods as he takes himself out of the play. Crawford is next in line as he gets completely washed out on the play, he ends up practically on the sideline. Next is what I am pretty sure is Aldon Smith on the end. He isn't doing anything but standing there. He has the contain on the left side and if they would have bounced it outside, Smith wasn't going to do anything because he couldn't get off the block of the TE Hooper, who isn't on the team to block. Finally, there is Xavier who does what he is suppose to do but just can't tackle.

The reason Jaylon isn't wrong here is because like Griffen he is responsible for backside contain. Jaylon reads the pulling center, the one Woods decides to chase for some reason. Jaylon knows that only Griffen has the backside, so it is Jaylon's responsibility to fill any backside holes. He sees the center pull and does what he is suppose to do, flow away from the stack on the left.

In actuality, this should have been a 15-yard(?) penalty on the Browns for an illegal block. The left guard engages Hill (72) with a block and the right tackle Willis (71) immediately dives at Hills knees, now he misses with only a glancing blow but technically that is illegal.

Zordon

Reaction score
I by no means am a Jaylon supporter, in fact I want him benched as soon as possible, but he didn't do anything wrong on this play.

The defensive line is in a slant to the left, funneling it to the LB overstack on the left. At the snap all of the defensive linemen go to the left. The ones that blow it on this play are A. Woods(99), Crawford (98), A. Smith (58?)- cant see number, and X. Woods (25). Griffen (97) has the back side contain.

A. Woods is the one that screws up the most. Instead of slanting to the left he for some reason turns and starts to follow the center that is pulling. If he stays on his slant he meets the ball carrier at 15 yard line. Instead, they didn't even have to block Woods as he takes himself out of the play. Crawford is next in line as he gets completely washed out on the play, he ends up practically on the sideline. Next is what I am pretty sure is Aldon Smith on the end. He isn't doing anything but standing there. He has the contain on the left side and if they would have bounced it outside, Smith wasn't going to do anything because he couldn't get off the block of the TE Hooper, who isn't on the team to block. Finally, there is Xavier who does what he is suppose to do but just can't tackle.

The reason Jaylon isn't wrong here is because like Griffen he is responsible for backside contain. Jaylon reads the pulling center, the one Woods decides to chase for some reason. Jaylon knows that only Griffen has the backside, so it is Jaylon's responsibility to fill any backside holes. He sees the center pull and does what he is suppose to do, flow away from the stack on the left.

In actuality, this should have been a 15-yard(?) penalty on the Browns for an illegal block. The left guard engages Hill (72) with a block and the right tackle Willis (71) immediately dives at Hills knees, now he misses with only a glancing blow but technically that is illegal.
I appreciate the feedback but my issue is with his hesitation after diagnosing the play. Why did he abruptly stop pursuing Hunt to look at the backfield when he knew Hunt had the ball? Do you not see this as well?

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Yup, Cowboys weren't, and haven't been, in the position of being able to take a chance on an injured or troubled player in years.

But they do it anyway, because Jerry thinks he's the smartest man in football, or (and I'm just being nice here) maybe he really wants to help people, felt sorry for Jaylon's injury and wanted to give him a shot at the NFL, for goodness knows few if any other teams would have....
Just for the record i wanted myles jack

MiddleStar

Reaction score
I appreciate the feedback but my issue is with his hesitation after diagnosing the play. Why did he abruptly stop pursuing Hunt to look at the backfield when he knew Hunt had the ball? Do you not see this as well?

The problem is, he didn't know that Hunt had the ball. If you watch, when he stops he looks at Mayfield to see if he has the ball. Which is a secondary read of his, to make sure there isn't play action. Now, he is incredibly slow at diagnosing and reacting to this but he is about 9th on the list of players that should have made that stop (only two behind him are Griffen and whichever CB is lined up on the far side).

catiii

Reaction score
Watch Jaylon. It looks like he diagnoses the play, realizes Hunt has the ball, he runs towards Hunt to make the tackle, then when Hunt stumbles around the 9-yard line, Jaylon inexplicably peaks back at the backfield instead of making the tackle.

yvmRjeP.gif
Watching for a penalty LOL. Making a tackle might hurt!

TheHerd

Reaction score
So many screw ups on this play. Too many to detail. But since the DL was in a slant left, I have to think A. Woods just forgot, m or elected not to do his job, because if he slants left, he is right on the RB in the backfield.

And a great tackle by X. Woods! At least he shot into the hole.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
The only thing I can think is he is reading the pulling Center which would be a bizarre key.

He looks like he is always guessing out there and then jogging around.

But Jerry wants to be vindicated for the criticism he received for drafting Jaylon in the 2nd. That contract was more of a self-fulfilling prophecy than it was about any need to secure a player 2 years away from needing a new contract.

Jaylon is also the alleged player who texted Jason Garrett back that "he's not really in charge anyway" and that he doesn't have to listen to Garrett.

You know you're a jerk if you make me feel sorry for Jason Garrett.

CowboysLegends2

Reaction score
Look at this idiot.

This was the most damning I have seen. Two linebackers could have made the play and both took themselves out without any help from the offense. Smith actually waits to accelerate until the runner gets enough speed to widen the gap. Deliberately terrible.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
The problem is, he didn't know that Hunt had the ball. If you watch, when he stops he looks at Mayfield to see if he has the ball. Which is a secondary read of his, to make sure there isn't play action. Now, he is incredibly slow at diagnosing and reacting to this but he is about 9th on the list of players that should have made that stop (only two behind him are Griffen and whichever CB is lined up on the far side).
100% his eye discipline and diagnosis is HORRIBLE.

Big_D

Reaction score
He's avoiding the block. Number 75 was going to the second level and Smith wasn't having it. It's what he does. If he went to the inside where the actual play went, he would have to engage in a block and that's just not happening.